Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Tech modem problems

• 12-07-2003 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

I got the E-Tech ADSL modem from Marx computers for my Netsource connection.

To configure the modem your supposed to type 10.0.0.2 into the web browser to access the menu, when i do nothing happens :/

I'm lost, I've reinstalled drivers, messed with settings and kicked stuff without success.

I'm using XP Pro SP1 and IE 6 SP1, I have 2 network ports on my machine that are disabled.

In the modem setup sheet it says to change your Ip to 10.0.0.5 if your haveing problems but that does help.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

A few more details would be useful, for example:

[obvious]Have you talked to Marx?[/obvious]

But if they can't help you (for some reason), it would be good to know the following:

What make and model of modem are you using?
    How is the modem connected to your computer - USB, Ethernet, other....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I rang Marx and the bloke working didnt know anything, one of the other lads that works there might be able to help me but he's not on till monday.

My modem is the E-Tech 'USB ADSL Modem', they only make one so it doesnt need a complicated name.

http://www.e-tech.nu/producten/adsl_usbadslmodem_e.htm

I gave up on it yesterday and went to the pub but I'm still messign with it to no effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

hi,

i have the same modem / router from marx.sorry if i'm insulting u but do u have a nic in your pc hooked up to one of the lan ports on the router? if so is it a straight thru cable and not a crossover. are the power and ready lights on? is the adsl light blinking? is the "link" light on for the port your pc is connected to ? do u have a firewall running on your pc that is blocking lan traffic? can u ping 10.0.0.2 ?

let me know how u get on and i'l try 2 help.

bauer.

Um this isnt the router one so I'm connected via the usb port.

The Ready and Line lights are both on.

I have PC-Cillin running so I'm going to check its settings and try and ping 10.0.0.2 now.

Will get back to u.

I can ping 10.0.0.2

I turned off my firwall and tried entering 10.0.0.2 into my web browser again.

I keep getting the "This webpage cannot be accessed while offline" error, it seems to pop up instantly like its not even tryign to access the IP :/

I'm wondering could it be a setting in IE thats stopping it even looking?

• Advertisement

ok my apologies i thought u had the etech router. if u can ping 10.0.0.2 then i reckon whats hapening is that ie reckons u r offline and wont connect.try opera or another browser? as a test u may be able to telnet into port 80 of 10.0.0.2 and u should get a http request which would confirm. i hate usb stuff in general cos i always end up fighting it:rolleyes:

Right i'll go see if i can pull up an old copy of Netscape and try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Sometimes the things you try leave settings confused, even if you can't see anything wrong. Is there a Reset button? Can you remove driver etc and start from scratch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections

Remove any dialup connections for the moment. Go to Lan Settings and selet 'Automatically detect settings'

btw, as soon as you do get connected properly, go d/l Mozilla and dump iexplorer :)

I put the phone line back into my 56k modem and connected to the internt, I'm in the 10.0.0.2 screen, went to WAN and configured the settings I know but theres a load I dont know what to set to, anyone able to help me with these settings?

Subnet mask, Gateway... ?

Also do i have to change any of the other settings? Theres a DNS section but the way its phrased it sounds like its talking about my computer setting up as a DNS server so I'm confused.

/Questions why he chose self install... answer its cheaper, damn my cheap ass!!!

• Advertisement

self install is better cos u can a)get a decent modem and b)set it up properly not have some mupett do it @resways:D

anyway i'l try n help out a bit.u should set a subnet mask the same as your own pc has. for example if u set ur pc with an ip of 10.0.0.5 and a subnet of 255.0.0.0 then set the modem with a subnet of 255.0.0.0

set ur default gateway as 10.0.0.2 (modem)

what dsl provider r u using? u should be able to get wan settings from their support page or drones on the phone.

I'm contection to Netsource RADSL Soho

My IPCOFIG says:

IP Address: ***.***.***.***
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 10.0.0.2

Every setting in the 10.0.0.2 that is listed in the netsource settings I was given was changed and everything else was left the same.

In the My Connections menu I've got 2 lan connections that are disabled and an I386 connection thats enabled but unused.

I've got the LAN or Highspeed connection, Device Name 'ADSL USB network adapter', in the adapter settings I've put the IPs of everything into the TCP/IP settings, other than that its all left at default.

I put a Broadband, Device Name 'WAN Miniport (PPPoE)' and its got all the correct IP settings and the correct username and password.

So basicly I've filled out the details in 3 diffrent section, I'm guessing I dont need all this or I've done something wrong along the way.

:sigh:

I'm getting nowhere with this :/

Does anyone know of setting that need changing when connecting to netsource RADSL that are not mentioned on the sheet given with the self install?

Right having talked to a very nice girl in netsource and a helpfull employee of Marx I shall return to my house this evening and attempt to turm my paper weight back into a modem :ninja:

I'm on :eek:

/does a dance

My connection seems a bit funky (ping spikes, probably from line noise) but i'm on :D

Advertisement