Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Day I thought would never arrive (well nearly)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by De Rebel
    This is really one that needs a solid example for either the IOFFL committee or one of the resellers to use as the basis of a complaint.
    Dunno if this is a 'solid example' but I can categorically state that Eircom passed my line last Friday; I tried the UTV availability checker and got all lines failing. Just to be sure, I rechecked UTV today and still got non-availability on all lines.

Don't know if this is relevent, but when you do the availability check with Eircom on an ISDN line, it tells you that no PSTNS are available on this number, you have to phone Eircom (for which, being Eircom, they give you the wrong number on the site !)

On UTV availability checker, you click a button for ISDN before the test.

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Just tested a number of lines on the UTV site. It would be interesting to see what is behind it. The lines I tested either failed (all were on non enabled exchanges) or received "Clicksilver is available in this area
    (subject to survey)" - Its very vague and looks to me like its checking at the exchange level. Knowing what i know about some of the lines I entered it would tend to confirm this. The IOL checker gave me exactly the same results in all cases.

It may just be the case that the UTV checker has not been updated to reflect your exchange. That may or may not be eircom's fault.

Be interesting if someone from UTV/IOL could comment on how the checker actually works and what the update mechanism is.

Would also be interesting to know why eircom need your account number of "security/validation/data protection act" purposes, but utv/iol do not.

I can't find an online checker Netsource site.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

I posted this elsewhere but it's probly of interest here:

DSL line testing in general, and this is no doubt applicable to eircom and EsatBT as anyone, follows this style:

1. Lines are assessed based on crow flies distance from the exchange. You obviously have to be inside a certain radius.

2. Lines are checked for extra detail in a line database that describes the exact structure of the line, ie. splitters, exact length, segment lengths, exact location, bundle groupings etc. This should be enough to have a good idea of suitablility. But obviously needs more effort than 1, but can be done on computer.

3. Physical testing of the line for impedance and noise, etc. Most expensive, but most detail.

When you get an initial assessment from eircom/esatbt it's almost definitely only of the first type. They may not even bother with the third type, they might just plug it in. And if anyone knows whether they are capable of the second test, it would be interesting to know...

Advertisement