Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35% of dead motorists/passengers are under 25

Options
  • 12-07-2003 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.nsc.ie/whats_new/news_details.cfm?recordID=68&location=main

I know some will try and suggest otherwsie but the figuers speak for themselves I'd say...
    106 drivers and vehicle passengers died on Irish roads accounting for the majority (61%) of road fatalities in the first six months of 2003.

Drivers 73 Fatalities (42%)

Passengers 33 fatalities (18.5%)

Pedestrians 34 fatalities (20%)

Motorcyclists 28 fatalities (16%)

Pillion Passenger 1 fatality (0.5%)

Pedal cyclists 5 fatalities (3%)

Total 174 fatalities (100%)

Drivers aged between 17 and 25 accounted for 35% of all driver fatalities, highlighting the fact that this age group remains a particularly vulnerable road user category.

18 to 24 year old males represent 6% of the population yet account for almost 22% of fatalities road fatalities.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and on a similair topic of road deaths and law enforment
    this from the Indo -
    Chirac's purge on road hogs saves 1,405 lives

MORE than 1,400 French people - 1,405 to be precise - owe their lives to Jacques Chirac.

It is rare for any politician to be credited with a clear, life-and-death success. In President Chirac's case, it is rare for him to be credited with anything.

But exactly 12 months after the French president decided to make road safety one of the principal themes of his second term of office, the number of road deaths in France has plummeted.

For many years, the holocaust on the French roads has claimed just over, or just under, 8,000 victims annually - more than twice as many as in Britain, which has a similar population of people and cars but fewer miles of road.

In the year up to the end of June - since President Chirac declared war on road hogs at the last 14 July or Bastille Day public holiday - there have been "only" 6,353 deaths. This is 18.1pc fewer than in the same period in 2001-02, the biggest percentage, annual fall in road deaths in French statistical history.

There has been one clear change since Mr Chirac's purge began. The police and gendarmerie - previously almost invisible have - become an active presence on the roads.

Although Mr Raffarin's government has just considerably stiffened the penalties for serious road offences, safety campaigners say that the crucial change in the last 12 months has been enforcement of the existing law.

Although successive French governments of right and left paid lip service to road safety, none of them, until now, has been prepared to order the police and gendarmerie to leave their stations and barracks and systematically enforce the "code de la route".

Since the beginning of this year, the number of tickets issued for speeding offences has increased by 28pc and drink-driving summonses have increased by 29pc. Tickets issued for failing to wear motor-cycle helmets or car seat-belts have increase by 41pc.

Previously, French drivers in their tens of thousands called local politicians or officials to have road offences quashed. An estimated four in 10 of all road offence summonses were made to disappear in this way. The Raffarin government has given orders to police and gendarmerie chiefs that this practise must end.

Under the new harsher driving laws introduced last month, motorists have to pay fines up-front - sometimes on the spot - and challenge them in the courts later.

Although there is still some distance to travel, road-safety campaigners say that the government's new approach has altered the attitudes of enough drivers to cut the accident rate. (© Independent News Service)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Drivers aged between 17 and 25 accounted for 35% of all driver fatalities, highlighting the fact that this age group remains a particularly vulnerable road user category.
    I'd say te over 25s are more vulnerable since they must account for 65% of driver fatalities.
    18 to 24 year old males represent 6% of the population yet account for almost 22% of fatalities road fatalities.
    This is an inaccurate comparison. 18 to 24 year old males may represent 6% of the total population, but they represent a lot more than 6% of drivers. If the were to represent 22% of drivers, then they account for no more fatalities than any other class of driver. It's a pity the NSC don't stick to the actual facts (which are gruesome enough) rather than trying to exagerate figures which means that you need to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Johnmb
    This is an inaccurate comparison. 18 to 24 year old males may represent 6% of the total population, but they represent a lot more than 6% of drivers. If the were to represent 22% of drivers, then they account for no more fatalities than any other class of driver.
    However, we know that 18-24 year old males don't represent 22% of drivers or mileage, so we also know that they do die at a disproportionate rate (at the same time knowing more that 80% of accidents are due to driver error).

However, we know that 18-24 year old males don't represent 22% of drivers or mileage, so we also know that they do die at a disproportionate rate (at the same time knowing more that 80% of accidents are due to driver error).
    And how do we know these figures? I can't find anything on the CSO website, and certainly most, if not all, males that I know in the relevant age group have at the very least a provisional licence, and drive regularly. They certainly amount to a lot more than 6% of the driving population. Also, where did you get the 80% figure from?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And how do we know these figures? They certainly amount to a lot more than 6% of the driving population.
    But certainly not 22% - I'm sure the insurance companies would have some figures.
    Also, where did you get the 80% figure from?
    82.4% - Table 17 Road Accident Facts Ireland 2001 (latest avavilable) - NRA It is on their website somewhere.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I found a figure of 82%, provided by the Gardai. It'd be interesting to know how they go about assigning the blame. For instance, when I was about 14 I was knocked down on my bike. It was my fault, and I didn't claim otherwise, yet the Gardai informed me that it would automatically go down as the fault of the driver due to my age. Had I been an asshole, I could have claimed damages from the driver despite the fact that the accident was my fault. I wonder how many other circumstances exist whereby the accident is (unfairly) automatically assigned as driver error, causing that 82% to be exagerated. As for the percentage of drivers that are male aged between 18-24, I'd bet that it is a lot closer to 22% than it is to 6%. Unless you can provide actual figures proving me wrong, I stand by what I originally posted, i.e. that it is an inaccurate comparison.

Advertisement