Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dvd + Vcr

Options
  • 12-07-2003 3:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Pardon me while I display my hardware ignorance. Again.

Looking at buying my first DVD player at the moment but I'm wondering how it will play with my VCR and cable box. Currently the cable goes into the VCR and the VCR into the TV, all via co-ax, and I'm guessing the the DVD plugs into a SCART socket, so does that mean they'll all play together in peace and harmony?

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Get an S Video Cable for better picture if TV supports one.

Also buy a decnt Scart/S Video with gold plating makes a difference.
    kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

...or better still a fully wired scart-scart lead between the dvd & tv for the best picture quality, provided the tv accepts an RGB via its scart socket. Practically all tv's do nowadays anyway. If your tv has more than one socket it's possible not all of them support RGB, usually the first scart socket does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

RGB scart will give you better quality than S video.

Most DVD players come with 2 scart outputs so you can connect DVD to TV via scart and (if you want) dvd to VCR if you want to tape your DVD onto video.

I would recommend spending at least €20 on a good scart - with gold plating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

You know, for years i've been connecting stuff up using Gold plated, non gold-plated and really cheap scart and phono leads.
    Never have i (or any of my friends apart from one who i got to show me the difference, and i swear i still can't see it)) noticed any improvement from gold-plated scarts or phono cables.
    I think its just a myth and any scart, s-video or phono wires will do.
    Don't spend a fortune on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    You know, for years i've been connecting stuff up using Gold plated, non gold-plated and really cheap scart and phono leads.
    Never have i (or any of my friends apart from one who i got to show me the difference, and i swear i still can't see it)) noticed any improvement from gold-plated scarts or phono cables.
    I think its just a myth and any scart, s-video or phono wires will do.

Yeah, don't spend a fortune on them, but don't get the cheapest ones either. I have found that the ones for about €5 tend to give a bit of trouble. It's worth spending €20 for a properly screened Scart lead. The gold plating doesn't usually make a difference in my opinion :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

and any scart, s-video or phono wires will do.
    Yeah i'd second that all right, the only time i've seen the difference expensive cables make is with longer runs (10mts), & that was most likely as a result of better cables than gold plating. Maybe when using a projecter the differences are more apparent, my experience doesnt go that far.

Advertisement