Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are pings? how do I know what my ping is?

Options
  • 12-07-2003 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Just got Battlefield 1942 and what to play it over DSL..
    Don't understand some of these terms?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ping is the amount of time it takes your packets to reach the server and return to your pc.
    Also refered to as latency, if you are playing online and you move forward the game sends that info to the server if you have a high ping you will shudder as you move forward which is called "lag" and can render the game unplayable.
    If you have low ping you will and play as if the game was playing single player with 0 lag and drop in framerate.

Pressing TAB in game will display your Score ,player name and Ping with DSL you may get about 60 to 70 on UK servers which is very playable anything close to 200 is unplayable.
    Lag is your enemy :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭²°°³webkev²°°³

how do I know what my ping is when selecting a game on BF?

no wait, got it.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

you should be getting around 40 ping with radsl if your not using a usb modem, I've seen mine as low as 30 on jolt

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

the ping depends on lots of facts, your system (is it able to render the frames afast enough anyways?), your dsl modem/router/network setup/Network card etc., your phone line to the exchange, your ISP's connection, routing and peering and the conenction between that and the server you wish to connect to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

this has to be the most mature response to this type of question ive ever seen.hate to see what would happen to him if posted on the hl board.

I don't understand why some people freak out.. you'd think they were born knowing everything..

This post might help loads of people wondering the same "naive" question and what is wrong with that?
    thanks all..

battlefield - "the gentlemans game"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Nah, it's more of a middle class foray tbh.

Operation Flashpoint or Falcon 4 is more the Gentleman's game ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Nah, it's more of a middle class foray tbh.

Operation Flashpoint or Falcon 4 is more the Gentleman's game ;)

Winters Syxpak is a troublemaker ban him, ban him, ban him.
    :D

kdjac

• Advertisement

violence in the system.everyone come look at the violence in teh system.

help!help! we're being repressed.

Advertisement