Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much Is ISDN?

Options
  • 12-07-2003 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

i am looking to get a better d/l speed. 1.3kb/s is really starting to annoy me. what i want to know is, how much does having ISDN cost compare to a bog standard dial up connection

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Impaying 38 euro a month for rent and 30 euro a month for no-limits [isp].
    My normal phone line rental was 20 euros therefore isdn is an extra 18 plus you get 2 lines .
    Download speeds are about 7-12 kb/s.
    For gaming its excellent,im pinging all european servers between 35-90 on most games including Battlefield :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

as dcully said, however i think line rental is only €30. (for the 2)

7.5kb/s on single channel, 15 for 2 (dbl costs yadayada)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

so it's an extra €18 for the extra line with ISDN

i ponder over whether or not i will go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Whats the crack with esats iol anytime package, does it support 128 k connections with isdn, seens as i cant get bb, need something a little faster

Any idea ?????

Shin

Well Shinzon im contemplating the same thing ,although i have my doubts about dual channel support.
    Im gonna wait till i see what pings folk are getting with anytime as at the moment im on no-limits using single channel getting great pings.
    ADSL is not in my area yet but im not sure tbh as that silly cap is a real turn off.At least now ive no cap ,im pinging servers at similar pings to those with eircom DSL plus no limit on usage after 6pm ofcourse.

• Advertisement

does anyone know where Eircom hide all their pricing info (installation etc.) about ISDN on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

I was told Anytime would not support 128k. (cant remember where tho so you may wish to wait till someone confirms)

Im assuming anytime will be similar in pings to their off peak product which was supposed to ping much better than the rest.
    (ive never used it so again its what ive heard)

more than likely thats the case but itd be sweet if it did support it

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by shinzon
    more than likely thats the case but itd be sweet if it did support it

Regards

Shin

It's 64k only, I don't think there are any dial up products aimed at the residential maket in this country which allow 128k connections, even Oceanfree has been limited to 64k and it always allowed 128k

• Advertisement

just got off the phone with tech support at ESAT, thought theyd have half a clue about ISDN.

Anyhoo as ETHO said its only a single channel 64k ISDN line they support

plus the guy who seemed very knowledgeable about the whole thing said that with iol anytime because it uses Caller line identifiaction for identifying the phone number your dialing in from that in some cases not all it could cause big problems getting the ISDN to work properly

The guy sounded like he knew his stuff so take it as ye find it

Regards

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

It's €37.50 for ISDN, for me anyway. I have NoLimits and it doesn't work for 128k, just to let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by shinzon
    plus the guy who seemed very knowledgeable about the whole thing said that with iol anytime because it uses Caller line identifiaction for identifying the phone number your dialing in from that in some cases not all it could cause big problems getting the ISDN to work properly
    Congrats on getting through to a knowledgeable type!

I phoned Esat during the week to get info for the IOFFL sticky but forgot to ask that question.

What UTV advise customers to do is register both numbers if you're using ISDN. Only one of them can be used at a time obviously as it only supports a single channel. Apparently you can dial in from either, though I'd like independent confirmation of that from someone who's tried it. Wonder if Esat do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by sceptre

What UTV advise customers to do is register both numbers if you're using ISDN. Only one of them can be used at a time obviously as it only supports a single channel. Apparently you can dial in from either, though I'd like independent confirmation of that from someone who's tried it. Wonder if Esat do the same.

Well, with netsmart and nolimits customers register their primary CLI and i've never heard of problems caused by just having that one number registered, in fact esat only let customers register one CLI. Can't see it being a problem with friaco if it wasn't with the old services?

The link is fixed now, dunno but for some reason when i post a link from the internal browser in work to boards it always comes up with session timed out, anyhoo working now

Regards

Shin

it says in the faqs for ISDN that you have to inform the ISP that youve got in hi-speed and theyll switch you to an ISDN account, is this still the case and if so is there any extra charges if your on the anytime price plan

Regards

Shin

it says in the faqs for ISDN that you have to inform the ISP that youve got in hi-speed and theyll switch you to an ISDN account, is this still the case and if so is there any extra charges if your on the anytime price plan

I told no limits nothing whatsoever ,all is so far :)

Thx m8 ill just keep me mouth shut when i get it in lol

:)

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

They should be using 64k ports for any FRIACO product anyway. There aren't any extra charges from your ISP.

(obviously there are extra call charges if you use both channels)

• Advertisement

if ISDN is installed will both lines not be split or is it only 1, assuming the current line is split

Advertisement