Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re: Agp slots

Options
  • 12-07-2003 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

I have a Elsa Gladic 920 which as far as I know is agp x4.I want to get a new Amd Mboard but have not got enough cash to upgrade everything at once.The new boards I having being looking at are all agp x8 and was wondering if agp x8 is just a voltage tweak which I might be able to do in the bios? so I can use my old card for the moment or is it a no no
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I don't think it'll matter, your motherboard should just drop back to AGP4x ... or failing that you could set it back to AGP4x in the BIOS.
    It just means that it's AGP8x compliant, doesn't neccisarily mean you need an AGP8x video card.
    But as usual - I could be corrected :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

An AGP8x slot will drop back to AGP4x. You can do it in a the bios and also, depending on the software, from windows but if you do it from windows you will need to restart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Appreciate the help as always lads:D
    Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

can you put an 8x card into a4x slot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah, it'll work, but you obviously won't get the performace you paid for.
    Can't speak for all of the AGP8 cards out there but the GeForceFX I was using last month was quite happy to operate at 4x.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

^ but it will still preform well? compared to 4x cards that is or would you just be better to buy a 4x card?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

no real noticeable diff between agp x4 and x8 certainly nothing to contemplate upgrading ur mobo for.

another gimmick, nest jump will be the new pci express

Advertisement