Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harddisk Cases / Docks ?

• 12-07-2003 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a harddrive case/dock so that i can transport my hd to a friends house so we can easily copy larger update files, films, music etc. I currently have a Seagate 80gb and a 3gb fujitsu.

Anyway, could someone point me in the right to direction to what i need. The reason for wanting one is so i don't have to either gut my pc or my friends of its hd and/or bring up the whole pc.

I was looking on Komplett.ie at some [ here ]

Now most of them are for a 2.5" disks and one for 3", the 3" being a lot more expensive. Could some one explain exactly the difference between these two and one also states supports both 9mm and 12.5 mm disks

I presumed it was the size of the disk and that my 3gb would have been a 2.5" buts its 3" according to the sites spec.

So i'm really looking for a case so i can use my spare 3gb drive. Not looking for spend over 60euro for this. around 40quid is perfect. Can it be done?

Thanks,
    Gid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Those things are bloody expensive. I saw somewhere that is far cheaper to source them in the States.

Also, is it not 3.5 inch and 2.5 inch?

2.5 inch hard drives are used in laptops normally and tend to have smaller capacities and are slower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

yup i think 100 squid for one is a bit much.

I was thinking the 2.5 were generally used for laptops from lookin at the hd spec site and 3.5 for pc's bit weird the way there not compatible for both in the cases i mean, maybe i'm expecting too much but thought it would have been easy enough to make this type of device, caseing/power/usb2, not much else there.

try keep an eye out for a cheap 2.5" harddrive i guess, not really a goer unless i find a cheap one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I bought a 3 1/2 inch caddy for my hard drive some time ago from DCB goup for approx €40. Basically you fit the caddy into the CDrom slot and connect in the power cable and IDE cable. The hard drive fits into a "drawer" that slides in and out of the caddy. Very handy for a removable drive solution.

Having looked at http://www.dcbgroup.com I see it's now €19.67 inc VAT. Go to the homepage and search for COOLER MASTER COOL DRIVE 3.5in DRIVE COOLER FOR 5.25in BAY.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

just be sure you both get the same - different models are not too interchangable..

Also try to get your mits on a mice foam padded box - you want at least an inch on each side of drive - preferrably two. Drives are not designed to be rough handled...

Advertisement