Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fixed versus dynamic ip address ??

• 12-07-2003 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

As a home user who is in the process of signing up to clicksilver I wonder what are the advantages/dis-advantages of going for their fixed ip address option?

Any help appreciated.

Max

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

If you get a fixed ip you could host your own webpage and even make it easier to host games.

Bad thing is that it will also increase the risk of someone trying to hack your pc and be carefull if you plan to be a warez monkey as you will be leaving very easy to find fingerprints anywhere u go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Nitrox
    If you get a fixed ip you could host your own webpage

Its a lovely idea and all but it does break the Terms & Conditions of your contract, so no hosting of IRC/FTP/HTTP etc servers.
    Just something to keep in mind :p

Also on a side note, if you have a fixed IP and your banned from IRC its going to cause alot more issues, also if you are a warez monkey and your using DC Connect or something and you get banned again same problems apply

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

If you were thinking of using BB to access a private network via VPN, a fixed IP could be useful, depending on the private network's security policy. It's definitely the way I would have to go if I wanted access to my company network from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Nitrox
    ...and be carefull if you plan to be a warez monkey as you will be leaving very easy to find fingerprints anywhere u go.
    Dynamic IPs are pretty easy to track too you know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Yep, Dynamic IP can be tracked also but it is a lot easier with static as your ISP might put up a fight not to track the dynamic IPs.
    As for terms and conditions of UTV i honestly cant see why people will sign up to them in the first place, i know they have done their best but it is just not good enough, not for me anyway, i would much rather go with the non cap at netsource or hopefully wait out for Ripwave!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement