Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do u setup a workgroup for playing games?

Options
  • 12-07-2003 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have 2 computer networked. There both running Win98SE and can see each other fine. I can copy files from each computer. I have ip addresses set for each computer 123.123.123.1 and 123.123.123.3, both have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 . So I can't see the other computer when I try and set up a network game with Red Alert2 or Quake. Red Alert2 has different serial numbers on each computer so it's not that.
    Help on this would be great,
    cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Make sure you have IPX/SPX installed on both computers. AFAIK quake and RA2 need that protocol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

I should of mentioned that I have IPX/SPX, TCP/IP (of course) and NetBEUI installed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could download windump to see what is going on.
    You could try ping 123.123.123.x to see if tcp/ip is OK
    You could uninstall one or more protocols - but win9x tends to get upset and you have to uninstall and reinstall all network cards if you find yourself going in circles

you could set ipx to be the defult protocol on both and see if it sharing still works... - I take it you have looked at all the tabs in ipx/spx

if a mate has a notebook - try it - might id which pc has the wrong config.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

Thanx guys but it's sorted now. I removed the protocols and restarted then added them again and it works fine.

Advertisement