Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2kPro: Slow Network Viewing of Shared Folders

Options
  • 12-07-2003 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Having moved from Windows 98se to Win2kpro I've found when browsing someones shared folders through network neighbourhood to be incredibly slow. While downloading a large file goes at a normal speed, its just the navigation. FTP is fine.

When i click on their folder i get the ol hour glass for at least a minute or two and the same if i try to navigate backwards or upwards from within their folders.

Using the same network card hub etc on Windows 98se the same folders open instantly, and i can navigate them all as much the same as if they were on my owm computer. I've changed network cards in this time too and its the same thing. Its the same while i was using a clean install of win2k and with service pack 2 and then 3.

I'm hoping its a simple software setting that i'm missing. I've asked friends and they have said they don't have this problem. One time i accidently made some sort of cache of someones folder lists which stayed as a new folder in network neighbourhood which i don't know how to do.

Any ideas suggestions to speed this up? It is really annoying.

Gid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Perhaps you have too many comm protocols in use.

Go in to your LAN Connection Properties, and see that you only have "Client for MS Networks", "File & Print Sharing for MS Networks" & "TCP/IP" installed. Unless you have some local DHCP service, manually config your IP settings (which you probably have done already). Do that for all machines on the network.

Anyway I once had this problem, and that seemed to sort it out ;)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It's the 2K machine scanning the remote machines for scheduled tasks.
    Delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
    key in your registry on the 2K machine.

This works in XP as well btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

also have a look at your dns settings in tcp/ip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Originally posted by Sico
    It's the 2K machine scanning the remote machines for scheduled tasks.
    Delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
    key in your registry on the 2K machine.

This works in XP as well btw.

cheers worked a treat!

Gid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Deadly

• Advertisement
Advertisement