Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when will sony t610 be available?

• 12-07-2003 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭

Anyone any idea when this phone will be available on vodafone and how much it will cost on a standard contract? I seen it in carphone warehouse in derry. You could buy it sim-free for £250 around €375. Would all the vodafone live features work in ireland the fact that the phone has not been customised by vodafone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I just happened to ask about it the other day as I want to get one myself! It seems to have failed software testing with Vodafone, however, they are expecting a new software version soon and hope that this will pass.

I was told to "watch this space". Unfortunately that is the best I can do.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i asked at the end of june, and they said that it would be the start of july - and i asked on thursday and got told (but customer care no less)
    "Contact customer care for this information"

duh what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

any idea when this phone will be available on?

If the current s/w passes, it should be out in approx 4-6 weeks.

Would all the vodafone live features work in ireland the fact that the phone has not been customised by vodafone?

I assume you mean that if you bought the phone in Carphone Warehouse in Derry. Short answer = no. You'd be buying the phone as if you had bought it straight off the Sony/Ericcson factory floor with no network customisations whatsoever. Live! is simply colourful WAP and if I were you, I'd just stick in the Vodafone WAP settings & leave it at that. Plus, the Vodafone customisation is atrociously heavy handed, logo's & links all over the place. Trust me, you wouldn't like it :)

To what extent do they change the handset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Sony Ericsson have an online configurator that sends all the settings to your phone, and they list O2 and Vodafone when you select Ireland. So I summise from this that those 2 networks work fine, but not meteor. Because I don't think meteor do mms do they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'm starting to think they dont, i was going to switch my existing O2 number over to them and take out a 1 year contract, but with no MMS or GPRS its not really worth my while, i dont use these services all that often, but certainly enough to miss them.

As for the T610, i've had mine a week, its crashed repeatedly on me, (6 times in an hour) but that was it, fine ever since, it's a nice little creature, about the same size as the T68i, but it seems slightly lighter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I was offered one of these but am unsure of its features.
    I am almost ready to go for a P800 for the ability to play back .wav's as ring tones etc [yeah..slightly crazy for one feature] but thats me.
    :)
    Can the 610 compete?

how did you get your phones?

Originally posted by chernobyl
    I am almost ready to go for a P800 for the ability to play back .wav's as ring tones
    Off the top of my head, both the Nokia 7650 & the Siemens C55 support .wav ringtones ;)

Originally posted by Fidelis
    Off the top of my head, both the Nokia 7650 & the Siemens C55 support .wav ringtones ;)

The 7650 is an ugly brick and the C55 is going backwards for me.

• Advertisement

My boy wants €550 for the T610 so i said no thanks...considering i was offered a P800 with 64mb of memory for that.
    crazy!

Originally posted by chernobyl
    The 7650 is an ugly brick
    La, la, la, la... I can't hear you! La, la, la...

I will agree that some people think it is ugly, but I think its a decent looking brick!! At that, its a deadly phone.

Back to the point, got word that the T610 failed a number of specific tests and wont be launched untill Sony Ericsson address these problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

lol :D

Check page 7 of the manual:
    If you witness an yob stealing the purse of some defenceless old lady, set your 7650 in flight mode towards the yobs head to stop a vicious crime....this method proved effective in 99% of our tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tony_ire

I just got a T610 on monday. Its an unlocked Orange PAYG phone.
    I just wanted to check here before calling the O2 helpline and asking them to activate GPRS. Will they do it for me? Or will they say that the phone isn't authorised for use on the network? Or if I just tell them that i have a T68i will it still work???
    BTW it is one seriously nice phone:D

any update on this?

The reason I asked is because a mate of mine bought a Sagem my-x5 abroad and when he called Vodafone to get the GPRS activated on it they told him that it was not authorised for use on the network and they blocked his sim from working on that phone - I obviously dont want this to happen to me. So does anyone know if T68i settings will work on my T610??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 DaveK

Go to the configurators section on www.sonyericsson.com, and you will be able to request an SMS with the appropriate settings. If you haven't already registered for MMS and GPRS, ring O2, register, and mention that you already have the settings.

Vodafone Ireland still had not received the revised version of the T610 that solved the hissing problem as of last week. So this is what is holding it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jimhenson

I bought mine about a month ago its the coolest phone I've ever had, i upgraded from a t68i just wanted to let you all know about a really great website for the T610

www.myt610.com

they have tons of softare and stuff for the phone but best of all the have a remote phone flasher that can remove al of the vodafone customisation and allow you to flash to the latest version of the software that adds new functionality to the camera function and improved response times.

www.myt610.com

My wife just got an sl55 siemens it looks small and cute but its crap when compared to the t610 and has no bluetooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

i like it

the wife gets the crappy stuff

respect ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Where is the best place to get one of these? From what I can see, Expansys have one for about €375 inc. VAT....

Anyone know of a better price?

- Dave.

TmB,
    Expansys is selling the T610 for around £280, while www.mphone.co.uk is selling it for around £250, as was www.sonyericsson.com before it ran out of stock. I have never bought from Mphone or the SE site, but there was a previous thread---which I can't find at the moment---that mentioned that Mphone is reliable and complained about SE's on-line service. Also, I think that the SE site uses Royal Mail rather than FedEx, which works out both cheaper and slower. There was a post in the general forum of www.esato.com that said that the blue and red versions of the T610 are now available in Sweden; Expansys has listed these versions as expected in about 21 days for ages, but it may be worth it to wait a while, if you like the blue or red version that is.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jimhenson

Komplett have the T610 for €417.48

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

I just spoke to a guy in one of the O2 shops. He said they wouldn't be hearing anything about any SonyEricsson phones until October. I don't know how definitive or reliable this is, but Komplett here I come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Expansys have them for €400-ish including fed-ex.

mphone.co.uk are even cheaper.

I'm buying mine through our company (and we're vat exempt), so I can get it even cheaper....

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

It would be better value to buy one on Orange PAYG from the UK. They're selling in argos for £199 (about €282). Then just go to http://www.dvds2000.co.uk to remotely unlock it for £15 (€21) and you have it complete for around 300 euro. Probably less if you look around argos are usually dearer. I don't think Orange brand their handsets except for the orange logo on the cover. Also dvds2000 can remove Vodfone live! branding.

• Advertisement

It would be better value to buy one on Orange PAYG from the UK. They're selling in argos for £199 (about €282). Then just go to http://www.dvds2000.co.uk to remotely unlock it for £15 (€21) and you have it complete for around 300 euro. Probably less if you look around argos are usually dearer. I don't think Orange brand their handsets except for the orange logo on the cover. Also dvds2000 can remove Vodfone live! branding.

When I was in London I bought mine from anindependent shop and they gave me a brand new T610 on Orange PAYG and unlocked it for me for £195 (€300ish). Although it might be worth aiting for it to come out on O2-UK PAYG, even though they probably wont be as cheap as Orange.

Now I am just trying to figure out how to change the Inet settings from Orange to O2. They have change the name of the internet on the menu to Orange - Can this be replaced with O2's O2 ACTIVE????

Advertisement