Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource Transparently proxying HTTP

Options
  • 13-07-2003 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

(Tried to post this yesterday, it got eaten).

I'm using netsource's SOHO DSL product, which is pretty damn good, connection-wise. One thing I did notice, though, is that they appear to be transparently proxying HTTP requests. Which is not a very bad thing, but might have implications for people who're doing webdev as part of their business (or, obviously, pr0n kings).

e.g., I make a web request to blah.com, and in the logs, I see:

[Sun Jul 13 02:14:46 2003] [error] [client 212.17.32.17] File does not exist: /home/blah/public_html/dsfdfsdfsdfs

And nslookup shows:

Name: proxy.clubi.ie
    Address: 212.17.32.17

Which is a bit not good. I'll be giving Netsource a call on monday, to see if I can be exempted. Since I paid for a net connection, ta very much.

Before you mention, I don't have the proxy configured anywhere. The only reason I noticed is I was having intermittent access problems on machines on the LAN apart from the machine with the modem (using Windows ICS). Which is weird, because I can telnet to external machines on port 80.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Spooge
    I'll be giving Netsource a call on monday, to see if I can be exempted. Since I paid for a net connection, ta very much.
    Just out of interest, if they are using a transparent proxy, why do you think they'll exempt you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I know I am missing something here, but whats the big deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

NTL do this aswell, i don't have any 'internal' or 'external problems' jesus_thats_gre i'm with you, i fail to see how this effects you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

Well if they are proxying HTTP requests, then they can monitor every page that you are visiting. Surely there has to be some sort of privacy implications here?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

I think Clubi.ie is an old name for the company that is now netsource. So it would just be their way of handling their traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by lynchie
    Well if they are proxying HTTP requests, then they can monitor every page that you are visiting. Surely there has to be some sort of privacy implications here?

Any ISP is ment to keep a log of their users activity for 3-5 years.

Also.. would this have anything to do with the fact i can't access boards.ie?

I can get inside the network but that IP seems to be filtered out. Other people on netsource can access boards but some can't access other .ie domains such as quake.ie which i can access.

Could their routing be b0rked?

I can only access this site using a free proxy

Originally posted by captainpat
    I think Clubi.ie is an old name for the company that is now netsource. So it would just be their way of handling their traffic.

ye it is, hence why www.club.ie points to www.netsource.ie

Originally posted by lynchie

no implications no

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

How do you they think they can track kiddy fidlers!!!!!! I think???

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    How do you they think they can track kiddy fidlers!!!!!! I think???

some of them are stupid enough to do it in public net cafes and get a slap on the hand :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Spooge

That was my problem otiginally, stan. Some sites just ain't working, and if it's anything to do with the proxy, then they should allow people to not use it. Some examples were www.komplett.ie, and boards is sometimes not available, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

HTTP_VIA is 1.1 netcache (NetCache NetApp/5.2.1)

I would guess at this stage they at least know all our boards aliases! or rather the parent-given ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

http://www.komplett.ie works fine here, your link has a , in it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

*buries face in hands*

...I know my link has a , in it. That's not the point.

Anyway, my ICS problems were unrelated to the cache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I had a problem from Friday through till Monday..

I couldn't post on boards... I could view but not post... Also anytime I wanted to upload anything over HTTP it would time out.

I rang there support and they got me to change the proxy settings on IE and now it works..

It is only a new development..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

I believe this is perfectly normal behaviour for an isp.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭greys

UTVip guys (dialup) do transparent proxying as well, and that might be a real pain when trying to keep your privacy on a level... Even various anonymyzing programs won't work because of that.

But speaking of the option to avoid transparent proxy, you can connect through any public SOCKS proxy (settings for your browser are usually somewhere on the same tab with other proxy settings), which uses different port and therefore doesn't go through the transparent proxy. That would help you get to some websites which don't work with a regular http connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Originally posted by STaN
    Any ISP is ment to keep a log of their users activity for 3-5 years.
    I don't see any eircom transparent proxy on my connection here at work. And I don't believe it was on our previous Via leased line connection.

Are businesses differentiated from private users??

Even if you don't go through the proxy they have a log of the IP you are visiting.

Its the law that they keep the records, not necessarily store every webpage you visited, but the connections you make

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by STaN
    Even if you don't go through the proxy they have a log of the IP you are visiting.

Its the law that they keep the records, not necessarily store every webpage you visited, but the connections you make

Just as well, given the amount of data some Netsource users seem to be using, can you imagine the size of the archives they would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Stan, I'm having trouble accessing a site on my eircom broadband connection. How exactly are you getting access to boards.ie?

if your on eircom, ring their tech support. I'm on netsource and they told me to use a proxy while they try figure out whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Will do. Thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Netsource's routing is a bit pants at the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭²°°³webkev²°°³

Originally posted by Spooge

they appear to be transparently proxying HTTP requests. Which is not a very bad thing, but might have implications for people who're doing webdev as part of their business (or, obviously, pr0n kings).

what exactly does this mean?

It means all traffic on port 80 (basically, all webpages) is being proxied, and probably cached by netsource. Proxying is when web requests are forwarded to one machine, where that machine makes the request for you, and returns the content. Cacheing is like proxying, except the proxy machine keeps it own copy of the page for a while. Needless to say, it probably means that all requests are logged.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

a lot of isps transparent proxy to give better response to their users (and to save them on upstream internet access costs but they never tell you that!!!) in a previous life we installed a web proxy at the company i was working in and we saw our internet traffic decrease by around 25%.

as an isp tho i'd be pretty pissed off if they restricted or filtered at the proxy, i mean what if they got it wrong and filtered boards by mistake for a day? quite a few of us (it seems) would have to find something else to do for the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

Transparent proxying is now an industry wide measure that allows companies to save on bandwidth and also adhere to any local legislation regarding data retention for their customers. But it only runs on port 80 and is quite easy to bypass using external caches on different ports. Users should not notice any degradation in web performance (in fact quite the opposite) and transparent cache software has matured enough that we see very little problems with it.

I think over the coming years you'll see it applying to more than just web access. A lot more ISP's are transparently proxying port 25 traffic on their network although this is being done purely for legal reasons ( for logging email sessions ) and to combat SPAM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement