Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

powering up from another pc on lan

Options
  • 13-07-2003 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

I have a win98 laptop connected to my xp desktop via lan. I want to be able to power up the desktop remotely from the lap top.
    Any body know how to set this up?

The laptop has a Xircom 10/100 network card and the desktop has an on-board Realtek rtl8139 Nic.

I have enabled wake up by pci card in the bios but still no joy.

Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Wavey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

remotely power up the pc?

im not aware that this is possible via lan..

it is possible to schedule pc wake up at certain times though

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Well as far as my mobo manual(abit bg7) is concerned it can be done, just tell me how.
    but thanks for the reply GUI

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

some NIC's support wake on lan that allow a network user to remotely power up the pc by sending a 'magic packet' across the network. How that packet is sent is beyond me, perhaps the supplier of the card provides WOL software or its available for download somewhere... As far as I've seen though, it is possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

My own mobo doesn't support WOL so I haven't tried it, but this prog looks like it might do the trick

http://www.youngzsoft.net/cc-get-mac-address/wol.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Wake on lan usually works by, as rymus says, a magic packet being sent to the interface which sits in a low-power mode while the rest of the machine is powered off. Once the packet is recieved, it tells the mobo (and, hence, everything else) to wake up. The magic packet usually just consists of the MAC address of the card you want to wake up being repeated a few times in plain text inside a udp packet that is sent to the card in question. There are variations on this, but its usually similar.

You need a compatible wake-on-lan network card and motherboard to be able to use it. You will also most likely need to plug in a special cable between the network card and a special port on the motherboard.

Have a read of this for more specific info, its a bookmark i made many moons ago that i seem to remember was quite helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

You could try this software.
    I seem to remember it working for me before.

Wake on Lan gui

Thats the windows version. They have command line one as well if you prefer.

_________
    C.

Cheers lads,
    That youngzsoft software does the trick.

Only problem now is that i cant access any of the folders on my desktop from the laptop until i physically log on.

Is there anyway to log in to windows xp remotley or to disable the need to log on at startup?

thanks again lads

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

radmin

i use this.
    probably better out there.
    but it's good all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Wake on lan usually works by, as rymus says, a magic packet being sent to the interface which sits in a low-power mode while the rest of the machine is powered off. Once the packet is recieved, it tells the mobo (and, hence, everything else) to wake up. The magic packet usually just consists of the MAC address of the card you want to wake up being repeated a few times in plain text inside a udp packet that is sent to the card in question. There are variations on this, but its usually similar.

You need a compatible wake-on-lan network card and motherboard to be able to use it. You will also most likely need to plug in a special cable between the network card and a special port on the motherboard.

Have a read of this for more specific info, its a bookmark i made many moons ago that i seem to remember was quite helpful.

PCI2.2 includes support for advanced-power-management features.

wake on lan cannot power up a powered down pc!

thats what the original question was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Have you tested it?
    It powers them on for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

I'll sell you a robot that watches the laptop screen for a secret password then walks down the lan cable and plugs in whatever is at the other end.

Well i got a prog that does just that called "CC get MAC adress"

It works fine. I just need to figure out how to log on now.

I'll sell you a robot that watches the laptop screen for a secret password then walks down the lan cable and plugs in whatever is at the other end.

lol If i hooked a lan cable to the fridge would it get me another beer?

Originally posted by GUI

thats what the original question was

Yes. It can.
    99 out of a hundred network admins say so.

i stand corrected..
    but we tried for weeks at work,
    following guidelines..

and no joy

if pc is in lower power saving mode, no problems

but if pc is powered off
    no joy!

whats best app i should try ..
    we were using altiris desktop management s/w!

Originally posted by GUI
    i stand corrected..
    but we tried for weeks at work,
    following guidelines..

and no joy

if pc is in lower power saving mode, no problems

but if pc is powered off
    no joy!

whats best app i should try ..
    we were using altiris desktop management s/w!

How do you mean "powered off" ? No ATX motherboard is ever fully powered off. there is always a curent running through he machine. Hence the inclusion of power swiches at the back of ATX psus nowadays.
    WOL is part of the ACPI/ATX spec.
    My amchine is 3 yers old and supports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

perhaps GUI was trying this with an old AT machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

Originally posted by Wavey
    Cheers lads,
    That youngzsoft software does the trick.

Only problem now is that i cant access any of the folders on my desktop from the laptop until i physically log on.

Is there anyway to log in to windows xp remotley or to disable the need to log on at startup?

thanks again lads

Hmmm,,... If your win xp machine is set up correctly for networking, you should absolutlely NOT have to log on to it for the shared folders to be accessible on the network....

98 -> XP/2000/NT can be painful when setting up a network if you dont know exactly what you're at. Try enabling the 'Guest' account on your XP machine, that may fix things.

Oh and you can allow your XP machine to log straight in without the welcome screen, just fiddle around with the Users/Accounts option in Control Panel (i cannot remember offhand what exactly to do).

;)

deepspeed, yep ur right, I dont have to log in to the xp machine to access files. It just dosent let u connect staight away after booting up, take s a minute or so to connect.

Mr pink's link : http://www.youngzsoft.net/cc-get-mac-address/wol.htm

This program worked for me.

Advertisement