Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX vs PS2 vs GC

• 13-07-2003 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭

I'm constantly reading petty bickering on tonnes of the threads on the games board where people are going off topic and getting into little "Xbox is best, no PS2 is best, etc" arguments. Well I'm actually curious what the majority opinion is without the bickering and bias you get. What I'm asking for is a real opinion not having anything to do with the console you happen to own or anything but just as long as you've tried all 3, which is the one you think is best. I've played various games on all 3 and I have to say My fav IS the PS2. Purely for Game quality. graphics etc might go to the others on most titles but tbh the gameplay outweighs the graphics in importance for the PS2 since the graphics on the PS2 aren't that far behind. Anyways gimme yer votes.

Thanks
    Ry

Having played on all 3 which console do you think is the best. 70 votes

Having played on all 3 I think the XBox is best.
    0% 0 votes
    Having played on all 3 I think the PS2 is best.
    65% 46 votes
    Having played on all 3 I think the GC is best.
    34% 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭s8n

xbox comes out on top and yes I have had all 3. Ps2 ain't bad but it's starting to show it's age now and the xbox is about to come into it's own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I would agree, the XBOX is beginning to throw its weight about.... And it has plenty of weight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I can see this thread turning into Flamewar City...

Anyhow, I own two out of three consoles on debate (the non-Sony ones) and I plump for the XBox. I agree with other posters that the XBox is very much beginning to come into its own over the past few months.

This has been helped by some quality titles, the ageing of PS2 hardware and also I think by a reduction in the price of games (new, Classic and s/h), the XBox has become stronger. In addition, the forthcoming Live product will also be a boost for those that will be able to use it.

I must say that I am disappointed with the Gamecube (or maybe its the games I have). I just find myself returning to my xBox more these days after ignoring it for the virtues of Dreamcast and indeed Grandia on the PS1...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grandia is such a great game. I feel in love with Justin, Sue and Feena two years ago.

I own a GC and a PS2 and have played most games on Xbox. I think that the PS2 is by far the best, the Gc is secongd best and the xbox isn't worrh touching especially if you have a half decent PC.

Now heres my reasons. The PS2 has far more brilliant games on it than the other two consoles and most of these are exclusive to the PS2. I'm a huge RPG fan and for me the PS2 is the best choice because it has most of the great ones. The Gamecube is worth buying for the Nintendo first and second party games. You will not find these on any console and all of them are brilliant. Every gamer should experience Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine and Eternal Darkmess. It also has a great line up ahead with titles such as F-zero, FF crystal Chronicles and of course Mario Kart. The XBox is the weakest of the lot. All of its best games are available on all the other formats or the PC or else will be available on them soon. There is no reason to have one if you own a PS2, GC and PC or even just a PS2 since you can still experience all of it's best games. The only game that looks like it will be good is Halo 2 and I don't think that that one game will warrant the purchase of an xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Over the past 12 months the Cube has had the best games line-up of the three consoles. That's the only rating that matters a damn if you're going to vote in a poll like this.

You can give me this "Xbox is about to come into its own so I'm voting for it" tripe until you're blue in the face - until the games are THERE, on the screen in front of you, you have NO idea whether they're going to be good or not, and voting based on games you've only seen videos and screenshots of is just stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Let me put it this way.
    The PS2 has a few gems amongst it's library and a slew of shite.
    The Gamecube is a nice toy, I'll probably pick one up with metroid and a GBA soon enough, or get the brother to fork out the cash at least.
    The XBox took Halo from the PC and Mac and mae it into another shit console FPS. It still makes for an excellent divx player/webserver/mp3 deck for the living room with a bit of tweaking and solering though.

Technically the Gamecube wins me over. It's a very nice logical design, well constructed, could've done with a tad more ram and DVD playback but otherwise design perfection, especially when compared with the PS2 stew of memory types, custom chips and differing bandwidth interconnects. Plus it's ugly, has wierd non-conformist angles.
    The XBox is a PC in a smaller case with differnet shaped USB ports on the front. And it's big and brutish. And 733 isn't fast enough.
    Note: Does anyone elese see any correlation between the casing and actual system design?

On the controller front, I don't like any of them much, the PS2 one is ok, the XBox I've gotten used to a bit, and the gamecube I just can't get to grips with (almost literally).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

last time this was posted the gamcube won by miles , ps2 came second and the x-box strugled to get a vote...now the x-box is in the lead ?

why ? what games have come out since the last poll ? is it just because of live that yea are voting for it ? dont get me wrong im just curious :)

even though ive been playing soul caliber 2 / burnout 2 / r-type final on my ps2 of late.... the first two are availible on gamecube too sooooo id have to go for cube with the PS2 a very close second.

I really dont like the x-box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Live doesnt give it that extra edge. It's the whole console and the companies developing games for it. Even reports from E3 said that Sony failed to impress anyone at the show. Xbox is starting to show it's true class as everyone wrote it off from the start. Look at the PS2, it took ages to get some half decent games on it, XBOX had Halo, PGR to begin with, now look at whats coming.

Star Wars KOTOR
    Outlaw Volleyball
    Mace Griffin
    ESPN Sports: NFL2k4, NBA2k4, NHL 2k4
    XSN Xsports: Links 2004, NBA Inside Drive 2004 + many more.

Roll on the XBOX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

i think each of their strengths and weaknesses are clearly defined when u compare the three (done very basically here)

the console you prefer depends on which advantage of the console you value over the others.

Gamecube - Great Graphics, Excellent controller, v.few quality titles (it does have the classics, zelda, mario, metrioid m.kart etc.)

X Box - Excellent graphics, ****e controller, v.few good games

PS2 - poor graphics, good controller, Plenty of quality games

GC takes it for me, its those remakes of my old favs and that brilliantly designed controller, 2nd is Ps2, then Xbox (sheer lack of games...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

WHICH IZ BEST!!! SEGA NINTENDO SONY OR NUON!!! LOL JUST KIDDING ABOUT NUON.

Honestly. All the consoles have their advantages. There are shooters and music games on the PS2 one can't play anywhere else. Nintendo have those unmissable first party and Capcom exclusives. And a modded Xbrick looks ugly but if it can emulate every game under the sun and play Halo then you shouldn't care.

If I may let my innate fanboyism loose for a moment to say one thing: Sega develop for all three machines. With Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution on PS2, FZero on Gamecube and Outrun 2 on XBox I really couldn't choose one machine over the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    xbox isn't worrh touching especially if you have a half decent PC.

Basically this is the truth of the matter. Thats why having played the X boc loads I still would buy one. Id still rather wait for/play the games on my PC.

The GC doesnt have the software base tyo make it great and the price of joypads etc is very high.

As for the PS2 its affordable cheap games loads of them and the Pads, multi taps, memory cards etc are all reasonably priced. Also DVD players which the GC isnt. There for Id have to say that the PS2 is the win!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭weemcd

it depends on age too, and maturity of titles, older people have more cash. all il say is i have a ps2, want/will get a gamecube, and will NEVER want an xbox, my friends are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

would you look at that... my vote puts the gamecube ahead by one... amazing...

i'm surprised the ps2 is doing so poorly in the poll, considering the sheer amount of ps2 owners... then again the majority of people who own a ps2 probably have difficulty using a mouse...

gamecube wins it overall because of... nintendo games, which are excellent games about 95% of the time.
    the console itself, which remarkably, with games like zelda and mario, has no visible loading times and the graphics are also admirable.
    the control pad, which takes ergonomics to an insane degree of excellence, its only real fault is the d-pad, which sucks ass if you're playing beat 'em ups or 2d games.

x-box would be my number 2 because its a powerful machine, 10 gigabyte hard-drive is a nice addition, and x-box live is also quite good, pitty about the majority of games though. the control pad is a joke, but luckily they're supposed to be replacing it the controller S as standard.

ps2's only good point is the wide range of games, but quantity rarely beats quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I'm actually quite surprised at the PS2 not EVEN making 2nd if not 1st. Purley because the games are better as is the controller. The graphics may not be up to the standard of the other 2 BUT they aren't far enough behind in my opinion to warrant voting for the others solely for that fact. And I'm surprised even more to see the GC in 1st. I had expected alot of "Xbox is good now" people to outweigh gc voters but how wrong I was!

Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

Ahh jesus not this again *sign*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

tbh, PS2 wins for me.

1. i find Xbox and gamecube controllers to be annoying and fiddly.

2. practically every game on the Xbox is utter ****e.

3. Gamecube has no plans whatsoever to go online. it will also never have a HDD, and if it ever runs linux (which i doubt), itll be ****e.

4. i do agree that PS2 has the worst graphics of the lot, but it HAS been out for a lot longer than the others have.

5. another niggling point: do they even MAKE 8gig drives any more? for the love of god, why did M$ decide on only 8 gigs? the PS2 one is a more respectable 40...

more ranting to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

this discussion (argument) will go on and on and on.....

people can say that they are not biased towards the console(s) that they own.... but they will be, thats only human nature...

until last november i was a PS1 owner.. i thought about buying a PS2 when it first came out and i don't know what it was, but it just didn't inspire me to go out and buy one.. the only thing that it really offered was better graphics than PS1.. dont get me wrong at its time of launch the PS2 there was no console that had the same quality that it did..... i just thought that it was more of the same from Sony...

anyway... to make a long story short, last november i bought an XBOX and i can safely say that its the best console that ive ever played.. admitingly its only really now that a lot more quality titles are coming out...

i got Halo, Splinter Cell, Project Gotham Racing and FIFA 2003 when i bought it and they have all kept me well entertained up until now... they are all savage games...

Halo is the best console game that i have ever played.. The gameplay is very good, the graphics are savage, even the backgrounds in the gameplay are so detailed, its really stunning... there was nothing as good as Halo on PS2 when it was launched...

having played all 3 consoles i would have to say that XBOX is my favourite. there is no need for crappy little memory cards to save games.. you can have your own soundtracks to games... the original XBOX controller is the best of all the consoles.. when i first got it i thought it was big and bulky and akward as i also got the controller S... but ive started using the big controller, and it is brilliant... there is no such thing anymore as those annoying thumb sores that you'd always get with the crappy PS controller after playing for 30 mins.... the GameCube controller isnt bad, not as good as XBOX but better than PS...

PS2 has a lot more titles out on the market, because of the length of time it is on the market ahead of XBOX and GC... but as someone else said in this thread, the XBOX and GC have a lot more quality than quantity, which no doubt will stand by them in the future...

i think that i'll be buying a GameCube soon as there is some quality titles on it that couldnt be passed up..

anyway my vote is for XBOX

1. XBOX
    2. GC
    3. PS2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i think that i'll be buying a GameCube soon as there is some quality titles on it that couldnt be passed up..

Metroid Prime? Mario Sunshine? Zelda?

Still not convinced:
    Coming soon:

F-zero? Mario Kart?

Methinks you should be getting one right now. (however I did vote for the PS2)

The problem is if you're a game enthusiast your going to want to play on all three. I couldn't pick one or the other. What I would say is you have to research your purchases carefully and getting your machine modded is a very good idea if you want more variety.

PS2: Good shooters, music-action, racers etc. Lots of genre's that don't get a look in elsewhere are well represented.

Gamecube: Nintendo, Capcom and Sega exclusives. All really pretty unmissable.

XBox: Sega, Tecmo and emulation scene.

The graphics are really a non issue. The quality of visuals is all down to the ability of the developer and their willingness to make platform specific games that get the most out of the machine.

My only criticism would be that the Xbox is lacking enough AAA exclusive titles (I use it mainly for MAME). Ninja Gaiden, Outrun 2, Virtua Cop 3, Fable and Halo 2 had all better deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

5. another niggling point: do they even MAKE 8gig drives any more? for the love of god, why did M$ decide on only 8 gigs? the PS2 one is a more respectable 40...

Anyone in their right mind won't fill 8 gigs. And at least xbox owners aren't being fleeced into buying it as an add on. 8 gigs free or paying for 40 gigs? Hm...

Have to agree with Blitz_Molloy... any enthusiast will want all three...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ack I resisted the urge to post to this thread for so long..

anyway, I voted Xbox.

I have the Xbox and PS2 in my place and I've played the major GC titles.

I used to be a huge Nintendo devotee as a teen but I must say I'm really disappointed with the GC, not that Zelda, RE and Metroid (to a lesser extent) weren't great, its just that despite RE there isn't too much there thats aimed at me I feel. Good GC developers seem to be thin on the ground.

The PS2 gamesare there in quantity and there are some classics but its really quality I'm after and in Halo, DOA3, Morrowind and Gothem..but especially DOA3, I don't think the PS2 has anything as good. It comes close but the Xbox just pulls away with the specs.

If Fable and Halo 2 are anything like the previews are saying then I think it will turn the tide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by marclar
    tbh, PS2 wins for me.

1. i find Xbox and gamecube controllers to be annoying and fiddly.

2. practically every game on the Xbox is utter ****e.

3. Gamecube has no plans whatsoever to go online. it will also never have a HDD, and if it ever runs linux (which i doubt), itll be ****e.
    Who cares if it ever runs Linux?

4. i do agree that PS2 has the worst graphics of the lot, but it HAS been out for a lot longer than the others have.
    it's also bloody hard to code quickly and easily for it. And you're still going to be viewing the graphics on what amounts to a monitor running in 50Hz interlaced mode at ~640x480.
    The XBox Mip-mapping in Halo is noticable, but only just because it's on a TV. If it were on a PC people would be in uproar.
    And how much do you think a 40gig hdd will add to the cost of the console? how much of a markup are Sony charging for slapping a bog-standard 40gig hdd into their patented horrible ridge-style casing and popping in a firewire/backplane link?

tbh, I think I am justififed here in saying "STFU".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭weemcd

for me the make or break poin for ps2 was gta3, i went to my friends house and enjoyed, car bombes, gang street fights, street racing, vigilante missions, brilliant graphics etc. i wnet and raved to everyone how great ps2 was, i didnt even want one before that. i have NEVER had a feelingf like that playing another console, and have NEVER fully enjoyed an xbox game, you cant pick up and play any of them, anyone can play gta:)

Originally posted by sykeirl
    The PS2 gamesare there in quantity and there are some classics but its really quality I'm after and in Halo, DOA3, Morrowind and Gothem..but especially DOA3, I don't think the PS2 has anything as good. It comes close but the Xbox just pulls away with the specs.

PS2 has VF4: Evolution. It's the most profitable arcade game ever made. More successful even that Street Fighter 2. DOA3 is woefully lacking in comparison.

We'll have to wait till Soul Calibur 2 is out before the box has a decent fighter.

I'd tend to agree with you on Morrowind and Gotham though. While the likes of Final Fantasy and Gran Tourismo 3 are more polished I've played the past games in the series to death and would be looking for something fresh at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    I feel in love with Justin

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Having played all three and owning a PS2 I'd have to say that the Game Cube is by far the best.

The xbox is basically a low end P.C.

The PS2, while it has great games has really shoddy hardware and I think thats what its all about.

Also I'm waiting for starcraft ghost to come out. I'm convinced its going to be crap no matter how good it looks but I'm a die hard starcraft fan.

I'm gonna play the game on all 3 consoles and see which is best. Then perhaps trade in my PS2 for the winner ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

GC all the way. Nothing can touch it for quality games. Zelda is a masterpiece. Xbox may have a hard drive and amazing graphics yadda yadda, but who gives a crap when youre playing something that looks prettier than Milla Jovovich but plays like duct taping your hands and trying to crack one off. Okay bad analogy but you know what i mean.
    Ps2 rocked, but the AAA titles are thin on the ground at the moment. Tomb raider? What?!

That was a low blow Swifty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

PS2 has VF4: Evolution. It's the most profitable arcade game ever made. More successful even that Street Fighter 2. DOA3 is woefully lacking in comparison.

I dunno about "woefully lacking", but I'd certainly say the PS2 is a better platform for beat 'em ups once you factor in VF4, Tekken Tag and of course, the Guilty Gear games...

• Advertisement

Isn't DOA3 just the same as DOA2 except with nicer graphics? I'm not sure. Didn't play the games enough since they lacked enough depth to keep me interested for long. I was afraid that some of my friends would break my friends xbox controllers from all the frenzied button bashing.

Advertisement