Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree / Diploma

Options
  • 13-07-2003 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the correct forum to ask it in but its the closest i could find but - Whats the difference between them?

Thanks.

./Webmonkey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

The title and the amount of years you study.

You get a BA, BS and some other one for engineering for a degree. Most degrees will last 4 years, most diplomas 3.

Of course that isnt true for every single course, you can get some degrees in 1 / 2 years but not sure if they are technically degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

There are still some three year honours bachelors degrees in Commerce and Arts, mainly in the NUI colleges. It is also possible to get a general (non honours) degree in Science in three years.

Masters degrees are generally of one to three years duration depending on whether you are doing a taught course or a thesis only. Of course you usually need to hold a primary (bachelors) degree to do one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Heres a fairly simple explanation
    basically its kind of like a grading system,

At for example grade 1 you have certificates (National Certificates), Grade 2 would be Diplomas and grade 3 would be degrees

You can move up the grades. For example you can do a 2 year cert then transfer into maybe the second year of a diploma and then perhaps the second or third year of a degree.

For example I did a 2 year cert and then transferred into the second year of a 3 year degree. This means that I got my degree in four years instead of 3.

Certs/diplomas can be handy in this way if you don't quite get enough leaving cert points for a degree.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement