Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who will be the premiership`s most improved outfit next season?

• 14-07-2003 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

what do you think

who will move up the ranks? 64 votes

Blackburn
    0% 0 votes
    Chelsea
    4% 3 votes
    Liverpool
    23% 15 votes
    Newcastle
    31% 20 votes
    Aston Villa
    9% 6 votes
    Leeds
    21% 14 votes
    Tottenham
    4% 3 votes
    Charlton
    4% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

You'd have to say Chelsea ... if they even sign half the players they have been linked with over the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Naw I doubt Chelsea will. I get the impression that this Russian guy will stick his nose into team management issues and that would be a bad thing.

I suspect Liverpool will actually mount a proper challange this coming season.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Not Liverpool, whatever charisma Houllier once had it's gone now. He looks like death warmed up these days.

I go for Villa. From 16th to 7-10th

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Well ifi you are looking for the most improved then Chelsea would have to win it if they were to improve significantly.

As most improved goes I think Blackburn will do the best - if they hang onto Duff and with the signing of Lorenzo Amoruso, they have a fairly excellent squad

Hyzepher

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Has to be Villa, especially if this Venezuelan billionaire pumps a bit of cash in to the club

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Originally posted by G

I go for Villa.

Yeah I agree that Villa will be vastly improved this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Dirty Barry

My vote's for Villa. All that club needs is cash to compete in the prem & it looks asif they'll get it. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

As all optimistic Liverpool fans I'm going for (as Mr Kewell says ww) ) "A team on the UP" ....

Although I'll probably be eating my words come november :(

LFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

it's a bit difficult to improve much , position wise , for newcastle chelsea and the pool 3,4,5th place last season probabaly the same three aiming for the same positions , possibly a second place there too if mancs and arse can be squeezed out.

Villa have a real shot at improvement

You have to wonder what Spurs are doing on the list though !! , improvement for spurs would be to finish in exactly the same bit of mid table mediocrity they always do !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I think Liverpool will be the most improved team next season for the simple reason that the fact they were so bad at times last season they can't get any worse especially with the arrival of two players that can immediately improve the first team.

I also think that if they get a decent streak going, they can be serious challenegers for the title. G'wan the pool:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll vote Liverpool on the grounds they've got to improve and I think they'll finish in the Top 4 but where is another matter!

Villa are a good bet too as if they get any worse they'll be in the Nationwide....

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Liverpool of course. Although Villa will also do much better this coming season. Spurs will just about avoid the drop and Hoddle will get the sack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

erm.... 100million for 2 players? Chelsea. this is gonna mess the game up for real but lets face it, no1 can compete with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Out of that lot I reckon Aston Villa will do a lot better.

Though I think Birmingham will have a monster of a season.

(monster good rather than monster bad)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Blackburn, because they seem to be buying the kind of players they need. Emerton, Amoruso etc. are very good signings IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I've gone for Villa ...

I don't think Blackburn are going to do it, because if Keith Gillespie and David Dunn are to be believed, it's a team that is about to go into melt down!!

I think Liverpool are another year/manager/player away from being a real threat to Man Utd & Arsenal.

I don't think Chelsea will do it either!! More often than not money won't buy success & the Russian dude is going to become too involved!

I have to say, I'd love to see Newcastle win the Premiership [I know, I'm a United fan], but I believe that it'll be good for the premiership!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

I reccon it come down to Villa or Chealsa. Liverpool will improve but the other clubs will improve more I think.

The hugh amount of votes that liverpool have got is due to the amount of fans on this board.

Although after some of the signings that Blackburn have made they are my hottip for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

I think Villa will have a good season because I think that they have a number of decent players there that didn't suit the way Taylor played but could blossom under O'Leary.
    I think the likes of Kachloul, Angel, Kinsella, Alpay and Hendrie will have a good season.
    Also O'leary looks like he's going to sign McCann and Sorenson from Sunderland.
    Villa need a decent goalkeeper and McCann should replace Gudjonsson.

I think this season is going to be extremely close. All the top teams (except Arsenal) have improved their squads. I think anyone from 5 teams can win it this season. I think Liverpool could be a good bet as they won't have the CL to worry about this season as the others do.

Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Newcastle will mount a sustained challenge this yr and will run United alot closer than last yr.
    Give Chelsea another yr cuz nothing can happen over one season to make them title contenders no matter how many players they sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I'm biased but I’ll say Liverpool, and you may as well throw in Villa with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 johnpaul

Does it really matter who will be the most improved. It will probably still only be a Two Sided affair next season. :o

United and Arsenal are a class apart from the rest.

Newcastle are a reformed team under Bobby himself and I suspect that they will be the only REAL challengers for 2nd Place. Cos lets face it - they can also play ball.

You can't say the same for Liverpool and Chelsea no matter how much money u pump into them.

Liverpool's only hope of winning will come as a result of boring all the other team's to death. (DEFENCE DEFENCE DEFENCE)

Chelsea are too inconsistent - They need to learn to gain points whilst even playing bad.

My money is with the Arsenal. It's hard to see who if anyone can touch them - especially when they hit form.

As an ABU Fan - I am kinda biast towards Arsenal but to be honest I don't really mind who wins it just as long as it's really close at the end. And maybe just maybe, there might be a 3rd and a 4th team competing for it.

Best league finish ever - 89/90 season. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Liverpool Wont improve Next season although steve finnan is a good signing harry kewel is aparently the next zidane according to houlier even though he hasnt had a good season in three years he is a show boat

Arsenal will still have the same team next year considering they dont sell viera but he wants new signings if he is to stay

Villa wont get into europe next seaon that dope o leary is all talk especially when he comes out with statements like i know how to make villa challenge i did it with leeds sorry dave but you dont have stupid money to spend this year

Chelsea are hard to call they are buying the right kind of players for the right positions they are buying young players who have already played in the premiership as opposed to the vialli era when they bought players looking for a retirement fund

I would imagine newcastle will be the most improved team next year they went into a sump last year when gary speed their main ball winner was injured but now they have bowyer who if he plays like he did when leeds were in the champions league would be a very good acusition

Utd unless they sign someone to replace beckham could struggle this year making the title race a lot more interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo

Villa wont get into europe next seaon that dope o leary is all talk especially when he comes out with statements like i know how to make villa challenge i did it with leeds sorry dave but you dont have stupid money to spend this year

You obviously have a very short memory Leeds never finished outside the top 5 when Dave was manager and he bought them very far in the champions league.

He may have spent big but he also go's for youth a lot, and Villa have that in abundance they won the youth cup 2 seasons ago.

I have €100 with my bro Villa will finish in the top 6 this season.

graham taylor is a big fan of youth and tried to do that last year look where they ended up

graham taylor is a big fan of youth and tried to do that last year look where they ended up

graham taylor is a Turnip head who couldn't pick a team from the whole league

originally posted by johnpaul
    As an ABU Fan...
    nuff said. nobody's gonna take an abu fan's opinion seriously...:rolleyes:

Well when he first took over from gregory he was a legend for what he had done with villa years ago now he is a turnup head bet the leeds supporters say the same thng about "My Babys" O leary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Well when he first took over from gregory he was a legend for what he had done with villa years ago now he is a turnup head bet the leeds supporters say the same thng about "My Babys" O leary
    What are you talking about? Taylor was a fcuking muppet before, during and after his return to Villa.

Leeds drop from top five when O'Leary left to possible relegation battlers in one season and you think their fans are happy to be rid of him? lol, get a clue.
    turnup
    Would have thought someone as smart as you could spell turnip.

im not calling him a turnip im calling him a turnup anyway even if o'leary stayed he would have had to sell all leeds star players and he would be equally villified like that other turnip mr risdale

• Advertisement

Well said G

Mr Bravo you are talking a load of horse s**t I and every Villa fan I know never wanted Taylor to return to Villa, he was given the job for one reason to try and get the fan's off ELLIS's back.

Mr Bravo you obviously don't know any Villas fan's or you wouldn't be talking so much rubbish.

And you think O leary is the man to do it To bring ye back to the big time

Originally posted by irish1

I have €100 with my bro Villa will finish in the top 6 this season.

Depends on what you call the big time, I think I will win the above bet if you call that the big time then yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Liverpool will have to improve the most next season, simply because they were so woeful last season, they theoretically couldn't get worse(for their standards). They'll probably still be also-rans though, and the 'pool supporters will be made foolish putting their belief in a left winger who likes to play as striker, shoulda got duff

Originally posted by astrofool
    Liverpool will have to improve the most next season, simply because they were so woeful last season, they theoretically couldn't get worse(for their standards). They'll probably still be also-rans though, and the 'pool supporters will be made foolish putting their belief in a left winger who likes to play as striker, shoulda got duff

Liverpoll will not finish in the top 3 next year they will try and play a 4-3-1-2 system with Kewell being the 1 and everything going through him, which will not get them too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Originally posted by irish1
    Liverpoll will not finish in the top 3 next year they will try and play a 4-3-1-2 system with Kewell being the 1 and everything going through him, which will not get them too far.

again, if you're so tight with houllier for him to tell you his tactical plans in advance, you should get him on this board, we'd like to have a banter with him
    oh, you've got one of the crystal balls going around on this board, so it said liverpool won't finish in the top three?

not all clubs are stupid enough to buy the rediculously over-priced duff, kewell cost less than a third of the asking price for duff and some people would argue kewell is better
    of course the mancs are jealous so they'll put kewell down now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

nuff said. nobody's gonna take an abu fan's opinion seriously...

why? its just like taking the opinion of of a united fan or a spurs fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

ill go for villa. not jus cause im a villa fan. Unlike GT dave o leary wont sideline our best player for the season. Dave o leary will make proper use of the talent we have at our disposal. and boy we have plenty of that. Angel Alpay Vassel Allback Barry Wittinham Hitzlesperger Mellberg hadji are all worthy of success in the premiership. i expect us to finish in the top six.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 coke

You know, i think Birmingham... they had a great time last season, and i think they will snak into the top ten this year... they really are ambitiuos. I have been very impressed with Steve Bruce in the transfer market... he really has bought well. But i think he overpaid for Dunn... the guy was on the transfer list, they should not have offered so much imo. But a top ten successful season for the blues... i think villa will have an improved season purely from the new enthusiasm o'leary should bring... but he'll quit inside three seasons he wont be able to live with ellis.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

I think this season is going to be very close. I think United have improved their squad. Beckham will not be missed.
    Watch out for a couple of the Younger players coming thru this season at United. Neumayr and Fletcher could eventually replace Beckham.
    I saw Neumayr in the Milk Cup last night and he looked class. He's only 17 so he will probably play in the League Cup but don't be suprised if he plays some Premiership games.

I think Arsenal will still be up there but I don't think they'll win it. I think they've slipped back a bit. They must sign a decent keeper if they are to win this season. The morale doesn't seem very high there. If they don't get a keeper they could have a disastrous season i.e not qualify for the CL.
    I know that sounds mad but I don't think Taylor is good enough and if he or a new keeper starts making mistakes then it will effect the confidence of the back 4. I think that Arsenal's defence is what lost them the League last season. They didn't replace Adams.

Liverpool will be up there with United. I think that if they play Kewell on the wing with Heskey and Owen up front that they will probably be favourites this season. They won't have the CL to worry about. I know Heskey isn't great but I think that Liverpool haven't played too his strengths. I think that he could flourish with orthodox wingers.

Chelsea have made some very clever signings Jonhson, Bridge, Geremi and Duff will improve them. Look out for Carlton Cole this season. I think he'll be one of the top scorers in the League and end up Young Player of the Year.

I don't think that Newcastle will do as well this season. I know they signed Bowyer but I think that they have slipped behind Liverpool and Chelsea. They will still qualify for the CL if Arsenal don't sort themselves out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

i go for villa as well and yes i am a villa fan. They have to improve or else its the first division.

As for Taylor i dont hate him, he deserves the respect because he has achieved alot as a manager its just that his ideas are out of date. A similar situation that happened to Big Jack at the end of his irish reign.

Villa's main problem is the ammount of money that has been wasted, for example Crouch. But im confident that this season O'leary can get the best out of players like Angel, Alpay and Lee Hendrie.

As for the youth at villa they are excellent for example Stefan Moore's younger brother Luke is going to be a big star.
    JohnnyBravo are you saying "you dont win anything with youngsters" - I think that has been said before!

And if anybody wants to see Do'L Go head to head wit his old club you can at the Dublin Tournement this august!

• Advertisement

i never said you cant win anything with youngsters its just ye dont have the youngsters to win anything with if you are comparing your youngsters to man utds when they won the league i am afraid you are deluded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

so you dont think aston villa have good young players?

Why comment on something you know absolutly nothing about?

doesnt make sense to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spud

got to be aston villa

I'm not a Villa fan so I wouldn't know much about their young players, but considering they won the FA Youth Cup in 2002, they must have some pretty decent talent there ! Afaik there's at least 5 or 6 of that FA Cup winning squad that have been promoted to the full squad. That ain't half bad methinks. They must be doing something right.

Lads be realistic theres a huge step up from winning a youth cup to actually being in the premier league If the Youngsters were good enough they would have played first team football ye have no harry kewel no woodgate no alan smith(leeds) no wayne Rooney Francis Jeffers(Everton) John Terry Carlton Cole(Chelsea)
    no Beckham Giggs Scholes Butt or god help us even the nevilles(Man Utd) and no Ashley Cole(Arsenal) If ye did they would have played since they didnt they obviously arnt good enough to make the step up yet

they will come through this season just wait and see, luke and stefan moore and whittingham I think will feature soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I can't see O"leary make a difference in his first year in charge there. I think it wil take him a season at least. I can't see them finsihing in the top ten with teams like Brum, Man City, Everton, Blackburn and Southampton around. O'Leary will improve on the 16th place finish of last season but into the top ten is unlikely. However it is football and anything can happen;)

I dont think everton will do as well as they did last year for the simple reason that the novelty of david moyes and rooney has finally worn off they are like an ipswich and will be back down again in 13 or 14 th next year i dont think blackburn or birmingham will be great but it depends on how wisely souness spends his money i dont think o leary is good enough he claims to have learned from all his mistakes and comes out with statements i trust enkelman to be my number one and then try to sign robinson he takes to much t the press and what he says is crap interestingly enough brian clough has come out to say roy keane is finished and will never be the same again

Advertisement