Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A little something for Ringu fans.

• 14-07-2003 4:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I find that too many of the fans of the so called 'Original' Japanese Ring are entertaining some idea that it is in fact oh-so original. Here is the actual 'Original' movie, although I do use the term original in the most vague sense of the word here, seeing as all films were based on a book. Which also borrows heavily from another Japanese movie which is know here as Evil Dead Trap which is about a Female TV presenter who gets hold of a mysterious videotape, and sets out to find who is responsable for making it... Sound Familiar? :D

Just a little bit of useless information for all those praising Ringu for being 'Oh-so original'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Interesting. I saw Ring 0 at the weekend. Don't bother renting it it's crap :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yup Ring 0 is quite boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

I just figured most people thought Ring was original, because it was something they had never seen before, unlike all the slasher horror movies most people are familiar with. Also how many people here would have seen the original TV movie anyway?

If you really want to get technical about it, you could say that Ring was a re-imagination of the original TV movie, which would make it original as it was not a complete copy. (in the same way tim burton did not remake The planet of the apes, but re-imagined it).

And as for Ring being a copy of evil dead trap, im not saying he didn't, but im also not saying he did copy it, but no one can prove it unless the writer of Ring (Koji Suzuki), admits he was influenced by Evil dead trap.

Personally I did not like evil dead trap as much as ring (Evil dead trap2 was just a waste of time), I think ring is a much better movie, buts that’s just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Angry AngelWhore, breathe.... :)

While I agree Ringu isn't the most original story (but to be honest, what is nowadays??), that doesn't mean it's a bad film.

Kanzenban may have come before Ringu did, but definitely needed a lot of work. It was fairly badly put together, and lacked the suspense a lot of people liked about Ring (and to an extent Ring 2). The ending was very Boys Don't Cry (and yes I know it was in the original story/book) and definitely should have been changed.
    In the original story, Sadako is actually a sort of hermaphrodite, that gets raped by a doctor who's so freaked out by what happened that he throws her in the well

Ringu is what Kanzenban should have been. But wasn't. So someone had to do it right :)

Besides, even the original book/story wasn't "original" as it was all based on urban myths, vague stories from Japanese/Asian past and other stories/films.

There's a lot of different versions of Ringu out there. Whether it's the earlier TV series, the "original" film (by that I mean the first proper film by the name Ring/Ringu), the Korean version, the remakes, the unofficial sort of sequels. It's all a bit mad, confusing. I agree though the story isn't entirely original (in a technical sense), the story is to an extent when you compare it to the usual drivel that gets released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ah, sorry people, I posted that drunk.

This certainly isn't a rant against the film, I think it's great.
    This is more of a here's some useless information for fans...

• Advertisement
Advertisement