Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

linux and adsl

• 14-07-2003 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

just have a question about linux and adsl. don't know where to put this but i will try here if thats ok.

I am very new to Red Hat Linux 9. i have installed it and want to use it as a simple router and maybe in the future server. Is it possible to install that alcatel fish type modem and use it for the netsource SOHO dsl?

thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I know one or two ppl who have gotten the alcatel USB modem (not sure if it's the same one you're talking about tho) working under linux, but it's no easy task. They really know their stuff.

Most ppl wanting adsl and linux just go for an ethernet modem. You just connect it to a network card and it will work just fine. No drivers and no fuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

few suggestions

visit the Unix board and post there and see if anyone can point you onto a website or forum to discuss this, you'll have a better chance of getting a linux person that either knows about this or has read about it somewhere else and can point you in the right direction. I use linux extensively but I know squat about ADSL and haven't bothered paying attention to it under linux either.

google for "linux forum redhat"

email ilug@linux.ie (better visit linux.ie and subscribe first) and see it anyone has any suggestions. I'm sure I remember some dicussions on ADSL and linux, some of the guys there that have used ADSL with linux should be able to give you a clear indication of what the situation with the various ADSL modems.

linuxquestions.org
    linux-forums.net

oh and when you've found out what the situation don't forget to post it back on this thread just in case someone else has the exact same question.

Advertisement