Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Was Your Witnness?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Originally posted by conZ
    Some skangers air rocketed my (not mine - but im responsible for it) tent, leaving a huge mofo'n hole in the porch bit. The three of us had just left our tent to go drinking at like 1am, and had an arguement about where to go so we returned to the tent (only 20feet away from where we stopped for about 1 minute) and the security guards were looking in the tent, shaking it about.

What campsite were you in i think i know who you mean.

Were they in B and did one of them balckout and got covered in toothpaste and got stuff up his ass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I was in B2, up near the small chipper van at the back, and to the left of the floodlights at the crossroads.

Didnt see/hear anything about the toothpaste. There was about two in that group that were just walking around naked (like talking away to their friends naked) and running in between tents around B2 naked aswell.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

There was some loud nose on Sunday night if thats what you two are talking about?

Camp site A was so called better fun, I was there till about 5.30am on Friday night. But after the short cut was stoped I never returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Actually I forgot about this....

I am pretty sure I saw some boards people camping near me (and wandering around). I think it was the phantom fm crowd (dark girl with short hair and glasses).

Was camped at the very back of B1 just off the passage that linked the towers with the signs for B2 and B4.

Originally posted by conZ
    I was in B2, up near the small chipper van at the back, and to the left of the floodlights at the crossroads.

Didnt see/hear anything about the toothpaste. There was about two in that group that were just walking around naked (like talking away to their friends naked) and running in between tents around B2 naked aswell.

No, I was in B4 and these guys had bangers and whored it and someone's tent and it burned it then the sucurity cameover "Who has the bangers lads?" these guys had someone with them that was backout and got toothpaste andd over him was probed up the arse with all kinds of stuff and then pissed on himself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Didn't pay to get in but saw the two days and camped sunday.The lineup was the worst of all the witnness' so far having been at all 4 and added to that the Coral were switched with no announcements. Whats with that? No ****ing organisation at all.

I dunno what you mean by saying 'thank godThat noone was killed by any bottlecaps, thank god security were there to cut that one off at the pass. At Glastonbury you're allowed in with cans of beer as the camping is not cordoned off from the concert area.The security people are always like nazis at Witnness, going overboard and spoiling The Datsuns on Sunday.They make such a big deal about no fires etc at the campsite, no one gives a **** at Glastonbury.The more of a big deal thats made about not setting fires the more likely people are to do it!

I was working in a hot dog stand and didnt take off a single bottle cap on any of the bottles sold on Saturday! They've always had that thing about taking caps off bottles at Witnness.

The line up was pretty awful.I mean putting Damien Rice on second last on the main stage on Saturday, **** sake it shows how hard up they were for decent acts. The first year Beck was second last to David'are you asleep yet?' Gray.
    The whole concert is just one huge ripoff, ****e food,lineup and facilities. Better off going to a festival in Europe,less skangers,ends up cheaper and better bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

nah it was beck then travis :mad:
    spose, you've got to satiate the plebs

Did anyone see that guy from the vadafone ads in the camp site with the mullet and side burns he sang something like "HOw Low" anyone know what the song is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Originally posted by funktastic

I dunno what you mean by saying 'thank godThat noone was killed by any bottlecaps, thank god security were there to cut that one off at the pass. At Glastonbury you're allowed in with cans of beer as the camping is not cordoned off from the concert area.The security people are always like nazis at Witnness, going overboard and spoiling The Datsuns on Sunday.They make such a big deal about no fires etc at the campsite, no one gives a **** at Glastonbury.The more of a big deal thats made about not setting fires the more likely people are to do it!

I was working in a hot dog stand and didnt take off a single bottle cap on any of the bottles sold on Saturday! They've always had that thing about taking caps off bottles at Witnness.

I was being sarcastic.... The only reason they take the bottlecaps off is so you wont be able to keep your drink for very long and have to buy more. The reason i was told by security was that they could be used as missiles which is true.....but so could the rocks that littered the whole festival ground...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭razorfeather

Originally posted by Emboss
    hearing alot of good things about "The Music" from people who seen them, haven't noticed many people on boards that seen them tho ???

anyone see them ?

they're one of my favourite bands. i ****ing LOVE them. i was in the front centre for them, absolutely brilliant live. saw them a couple of months ago in the ambassador aswell. absolutely brilliant. if you missed them you suck. seriously . lol :cool:

• Advertisement

i went on the sunday and i saw :

the jimmy cake (absolutely brilliant)
    belx1 (ugh)
    car mar superstar (****ing hilarious)
    the music (BRILLIANT!)
    the frames
    the datsuns
    the mars volta
    one or two songs by "David'are you asleep yet?' Gray."
    the manic street preachers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Did anyone see me btw? I was the guy wearing the fonZ t-shirt.
    Counted about 30 people coming up shouting "eeeeeehhhhhhhhh" or "omg its the fonz!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Unknown

Yeah sure they put on a show thats what festivals are all about. Its not an intimate gig and thats why some bands are crap at big events like this cos they don't raise the bar, they don't raise their performance to carry a big crowd.
    Misunderstood. I'm saying if The Flaming Lips played the Rising tent (which is pretty small for them to play in) then it would be intimate. There was no way that playing on an outdoor stage would feel intimate.
    As well as what Comet said; performances, visuals and music have been used together for a long time. If all you want is interrupted music the best thing is to go out and buy albums and listen to them on a stereo. The performance and visuals are there to add to the music.
    If I want interrupted music? What? Thats not what I want.
    I didn't mind the stage show. Musically speaking, I did not connect with the band. And the bunnies did not win me over.

Also, listening to albums in definetly not the same as going to a live performance (except if you count various pop acts). The band itself is the greatest visual to be had. Plus theres the element of suprise, improv, and when the band sometimes tells you a story. Theres none of that on a CD.

All in all, the visuals did add to the performance, but they were too dominating over the music on the main stage. Plus, the atmosphere sucked.
    Despite the performence however, they still remain a f***ing good band and I won't lose respect for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

There are pictures of Witnness on the witnness.com site now, there not great though. If anyone has pictures online can you post them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

What a weekend that was my 3rd witnness and definitly the best.
    Was camping in A4 up the back in the middle of all these people from the north. Mainly form Monaghan Armagha and Donegal.Eimear, Tom, Spud, Macks and the rest yous were some laugh. Top atmosphere Friday love the random roar's great fun.
    To the lad's in camp buckley's ma you's were absolute nutter's the human pyramid was funny.

Saturday
    Highlights
    The Thrills in the rissin tent top fun absolutely packed
    Mundy got the crowd livined up nicely
    Ricer was top notch
    Cold Play were the bizz don't no were chris martin get's the energy but hey clocks rocked. Green lasers looked cool
    Campsite great laugh running around screaming.

Sunday
    Highlights
    Jerry Fish i so want to be that dam cool :)
    The Walls revorming into the Stunning what a bonus brewing up a storm went down so well.
    The Gardigans surpriseingly good.
    The Super Furry Animals rocked loved the suits even the Power rangers helmet my mate nearly caught the carrot.

The Frames what a set brilliant amazing tops unreal.
    the place arrupted they just were the best so much fun in the pit.
    The masks were class seein 2000 people in them was brill :).

Meeting the Frames got them to sign my mask and t-shirt which i made especially for them. They laughed there heads of at it as it ran every were dam poster paint :(. Gave Glen a euro to get a hair cut he laughed his head of but still took the euro.

The Polyphonic Spree these guys were just nuts.Brilliant fun so much energy from them.

The mainc's Great way to finish the night. Top set bouncing all over the place so much crowd surving so much fun. :)

Low light
    Securityu wakin us up at 8am dam it.
    Then havin to go to work for 8 hours still locked:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by funktastic

The line up was pretty awful.

I was not there but Dave Course + The Trills were said to be absolute mega.

As someone who isn't a massive fan of either David Gray or Coldplay, I thought David Gray put in a really good performance on Sunday night. Perhaps Coldplay did too(didn't see them) but it seems to me anyone thinking David Gray is boring but enjoyed Coldplay is ridiculous, talk about the kettle calling the pot black.

Originally posted by Unknown
    The band itself is the greatest visual to be had.

I think you kind of lost my point, what the The Flaming Lips do with the stage goes very well with their music.
    Plus theres the element of suprise, improv, and when the band sometimes tells you a story. Theres none of that on a CD.

That was my point, I think.
    Atmosphere sucked

At the The Flaming Lips??? Where were you? A mile back? Two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by comet
    There are pictures of Witnness on the witnness.com site now, there not great though. If anyone has pictures online can you post them here.

CNV00019.JPG

sunday, non brushed hair and lookin good :D

Good to see you had no bottlecaps ;)

• Advertisement

I think you kind of lost my point, what the The Flaming Lips do with the stage goes very well with their music.
    It doesn't have anything to do with your points, it was in comparision with a live performance and a CD. And in any live performance, the band ITSELF are the greatest visual to be had.
    That was my point.
    No it isn't. Your point was that if I want (un)interuppted music, I should just listen to the CD. Just because I gave a valid explanation does not mean its your point.
    At the The Flaming Lips??? Where were you? A mile back? Two?
    This is on a personal level - I hate large scale events (its understandable, hopefully to some people). It IS the main stage of a festival, so my expectations were correct. Yet, during the day I mostly went to the Upstage and Rising and ON tents and had a great time, saw great bands.

On a different note, does anyone have a fair idea of their set so I can see what I missed?

Yes, I can understand how you hate “large scale events”; last year I missed some brilliant acts to see Mercury Rev in the rising tent.

However I don't hate “large scale events” (i.e. main stages of festivals), some bands are better in small places, some work just as well at “large scale events”. For example I like David Gray but I don’t think headlining Witnness is the place for him. And if someone was to hate “large scale events” I don’t think they would a good or fair judge of any such events :)

BTW could you please stop telling me what I mean in MY "points". What I mean to say in a point or any type of communication is up to me, even if I don't get the point across!

Can we please both grow up and leave it at that?

im in one of the pics on the witnness website...lol

the picture after the one of the singer from the music....
    3rd row, 2 back from the guy in the yellow tshirt :) yaaaaay.

I just wanted to express my opinion, even knowing I would be targeted. But theres no point anymore.

More reviews/pictures at http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/atl/

Ok festivals are probably more about the bands you miss than the ones you see. Who were the 2 bands your kicking yourself for missing, mine are

The Coral
    The Polyphonic Spree

The Roots
    The Roots

Bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Ah, good question. Probably Echo And The Bunnymen and The Flaming Lips. At least then I'd know what everyone was talking about.

Only Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man, but I wish I could have stayed longer for The Polyphonic Spree...
    I could have been worse though.

There were also bands I wanted to see from Saturday, but missed them because I didn't go. Yet already a few of them are returning to play Dublin dates;

Echo and the Bunnymen play Vicar Street
    Mogwai play the Olympia
    The Raveonettes play Whelans
    The Thrills support Beck at the Point

Plus you can count that all the other Irish acts will be making an appearance over the next six months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by mbroaders
    The reason i was told by security was that they could be used as missiles which is true.....but so could the rocks that littered the whole festival ground...

Yeah, but you can't fill a rock with p*ss then lob it at the stage, can you?;)

I didn't go, but I would be well p*ssed off with the Witnness folk, given the fact that half the line-up have announced gigs in Dublin less than a week after the festival ended...couldn't they have insisted no gig announcements for a month after the weekend or something?

Coupled with the amount of bands who have already played Ireland this year, it leaves very few exclusive appearances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

If I want interrupted music? What? Thats not what I want.
    I didn't mind the stage show. Musically speaking, I did not connect with the band. And the bunnies did not win me over.

All in all, the visuals did add to the performance, but they were too dominating over the music on the main stage. Plus, the atmosphere sucked.
    Despite the performence however, they still remain a f***ing good band and I won't lose respect for them.

The flaming lips have been doing that same performance for nearly two years now.. they're far from an intimate band.. perhaps you're reading too much into the albums .. several tracks on Yoshimi are very nearly a parody of the huge amount of emotion on the Soft Bulletin .. but anyway...

Advertisement