Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Was Your Witnness?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Unknown

Maybe I just miss the Transmission from the Satellite Heart days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Did they not do the whole beverly hills 90210 bit and then launch into she dont use jelly? totally takin the piss out of themselves.. they played lightening strikes the postman (my fave lips track) at glasto yay .. they were the only two old tracks tho..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Originally posted by monument
    Yes, I can understand how you hate “large scale events”; last year I missed some brilliant acts to see Mercury Rev in the rising tent.
    And wasn't it just fecking brilliant. One of the best live sets I've seen. Intimate and memorable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Originally posted by therecklessone
    I didn't go, but I would be well p*ssed off with the Witnness folk, given the fact that half the line-up have announced gigs in Dublin less than a week after the festival ended...couldn't they have insisted no gig announcements for a month after the weekend or something?

Coupled with the amount of bands who have already played Ireland this year, it leaves very few exclusive appearances.
    What difference does that make? Like you can only enjoy a gig if you know that the band aren't playing for another month??? If anything it helps. Means people don't have to pay upwards of 65 euro if they only want to see one or two bands. Also it gives people the chance to see bands they liked again soon after. Bands save on travel fees. Why so p*ssed off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Ro: maaan!
    Why so p*ssed off?

I'm not pissed off. In fact, I wish they'd get Kings Of Leon and and The Mars Volta pronto. But then I didn't go.

My point is that had I gone to Witnness this year, to see a group of particular bands for example, it would be slightly galling to see those same acts announce Dublin gigs the following week. Imagine you went simply too see Mogwai...60 Euro for a ticket, 17 Euro on the bus, another few quid to get home from city centre after...it all adds up. Then following week, Mogwai announced for Olympia, for 1/3 the admission.

I'd like to think that a festival would make some effort to get exclusive appearances by acts, rather than getting any old act that feels like filling a few days on the schedule.

Thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Unknown

Now it seems possible that the Flaming Lips is returning to Ireland.

According to NME.com , the Lips have just announced an extensive UK tour, and between dates in London and Glasgow (November 3 and 8 respectively) is a four day gap. Because Dublin is between these two cities, I would imagine that that four day gap is reserved for Ireland. Even if more London dates are added, its still possible.

Note that this isn't official, but watch this space...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RockViper

Originally posted by woodyg
    To the lad's in camp buckley's ma you's were absolute nutter's the human pyramid was funny.

Lol I was in that group, that was hilarious. Did you see the lads going around all the tents with the red funnel? I was one of those, periodically all you could hear was a load of people shouting "Chug, chug chug chug..." classic stuff!

I saw Mundy, Badly Drawn Boy, Mogwai(only the last 4 songs, the last one was a stormer!), Coldplay, Jerry Fish and of course The Manics. They were all excellent, except for The Manics who were just incredible, the best by far.

Can anybody tell me if I was just hearing things or do Mogwai never use vocals in their songs? Cos I didn't hear any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Who were the very first band on the Main stage on Saturday? They were on just before Echo and the Bunnymen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by RockViper
    Can anybody tell me if I was just hearing things or do Mogwai never use vocals in their songs? Cos I didn't hear any.

they do. just not very often and not very decipherable (usually scottish if anything).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RockViper

Originally posted by Kali
    they do. just not very often and not very decipherable (usually scottish if anything).

thats good to hear, it sounded great without the vocals, better that way, I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

The first band on the Main stage on Saturday was the Pet Sounds Competition winner.

Dont know who they were, didnt even see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Didn't they play a load of covers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Just bought Hotpress for their big Witnness review edition. What a load of crap it is, there aren't even a few big decent pictures from the gig and the reviews are minimalist to say the least, half the magazine should be full of pictures and reviews but it only gets a few pages :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Yeah, looks like a bit of a rush job. It was out very quickly after Witnness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Bit pissed off at that myself too. Considering the issue before Witnness had a pull-out section about the festival and it said it was a two-parter I thought the second part (i.e. the post Witnness issue) would have been equally comprehensive.

There's only a few small reviews of not even half the bands there and even less pictures. God knows they had the opportunity to have loads of great pics (The Flaming Lips show would be a good example or a thousand masked Frames fans would be another) but it doesn't seem they could be bothered their arse.

I thought it was just me being a grumpy old git when I thought it was ****e but since other people agree I might write in and tell them to hang their heads in shame.

witnness content on hotpress.ie seems to be open to non-subscribers

video interviews

http://www.hotpress.com/witnness/2662898.html

some reviews

http://www.hotpress.com/witnness/2668589.html

Anyone know what setlist David Gray played on Sunday night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i watched david gray, cant remember what the playlist was though soz, dunno about what you guys are saying about boring either, i thought it was a very good act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Spoonfish

I was back stage for that and you should have heard some of the staff bitching and moaning about how he wasn't good enough to close out a festival. In the end security banished us to the far end of the stage just before he left, which didn't do any wonders for his popularity.

As for the play list, it was all the usual suspects I don't remember hearing anything new but I should have it around here somewhere. Watch this space.

But oh dear god are every single one of you glad you didn't have to work in the dance shed on monday morning, I was in there a bit and 2 of th guys toilets had vomit flowing, yes I said flowing, out the door. Luckily that place was built to deal with horses or it could have been truely nasty

Advertisement