Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem Wont Conx

Options
  • 14-07-2003 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

I have just upgraded a Dell PC and I have put a new Modem into and Tested it at my home and it works fine

Nut when I took it to My Brothers house THe Modem wont Conx to the Internet basically it will not Dial up and I get not Dial tone Error.

I have tested the Cable with a handset and its Working.
    and the phone line works fine

Any one have this issue before and how did you solve it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

You just tried the computer in your brother's house yeah? Otherwise if you installed the modem on your bros computer it can be a number of things wrong with his pc. Since it works perfectly on your line at home the problem must lie with his.

1. Make sure the phone cable is in right port (in case it's a network card port on the back of your pc that you plugged it into by mistake).

2. Check if he has any messages waiting (if he uses the eircom answer service and has a message, the dial tone will change to a wavy sound and your pc may not detect the line).

3. See if he has to dial an outside line and if so prefix the appropriate number before your isp dialup number (e.g. 9 for outside line so put 9, (comma to pause for a sec))

4. Does he have outgoing calls enabled? It might be a stupid question but he might have local calls only so it won't work.

That's all i can think of right now... Lemme know if anything works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

Is is running the same O/s ?

Check to ensure that the drivers are correct ?

If that is so, uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

Check to ensure that the modem is securely place in the slot or try another one.

Make sure that there is not another device attached to the machine that may be using the same resources.

Make sure that any other modems that had been used on the machine were removed completely:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I have checked the PC at my home and it dials up not a problem But I think there is Something wrong with the conx on his line.

I maybe a issue with call answering or something else like call waiting been activted ??????????

Confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 goku1981

Your best bet is to run a hyperterminal, itl tell you if its a prob with the modem driver or the modem itself.

Go to start >Run>Type Hypertrm>Type test for connection name>put in ISP phone no, select modem model at the bottom>OKx2>

This brings up the hyperterminal screen itself. First type ATZ (gets the modems attention), then type in atdt phone no. This will try connect using just the modem driver.

If you get an ok, try doing the same thing, instead of choosing the modem model select whatever com port the modem is on and type the same commands

Youl either get no dial tone, no carrier signal or ok. No dial tone means the modems ****ed. No carrier signal means pretty much the same. Also check if its a V92 modem, most ISPs dont support them.

Advertisement