Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Articles Needed on a regular basis

Options
  • 14-07-2003 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

hi all,

as you may know, I am the webmaster (for want of a better name) for www.pushingtin.ie
    I have added a new articles section to the site, and we are always looking for interesting tips or information in the Business, Consumer & Tech sections, so if anyone would like to add anything of interest, it would be fantastic. The link to email the articles is on the site.
    If your article gets posted, all we can offer you in return is kudos and your name on a up and coming Irish business, and discounted prices if you are looking for anything.

Thanks in advance,

Feldy

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Due respect feldy, pushingtin is a commercial operation and should be offering a fixed renumeration for what you require. Even a definition of "discounted prices" would be better than nothing. "Kudos" is frankly an insult to people's intelligence.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭feldy

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Due respect feldy, pushingtin is a commercial operation and should be offering a fixed renumeration for what you require. Even a definition of "discounted prices" would be better than nothing. "Kudos" is frankly an insult to people's intelligence.

fair point. diddnt mean it as an insult to people.
    "discounted prices" will mean that a boards member, that gets a post, can have items from our site at our cost price. because this price is constantly changing, and as a result so are our margins, all you can do is take my word on it. I can assure you that my word is good and it will be kept.

Hope this helps clarify.

The reason why we cant offer fixed renumeration at the moment is because we are a start up, and simply dont have the dosh, but as our company grows, this situation will change. (IE when we have the ability to do this, we will offer it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Although feldy is getting a bit of "free" publicity out of this thread I'll let it stay.

Reason:
    Plenty of Students do want to get stuff published through any means possible. If somebody wants to provide a medium, then fair enough.

Although as Adam pointed out maybe you should put a figure on that "Discount" ! 10 or 20 % or whatever you see fit. You have to incentivise the invitation to some extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Okey Doke feldy, you jumed in before my reply there.

That seems reasonable enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

A programmer may go to a respected programming site with an article for kudos or a fund manager may go to a respected financial services site with an article for kudos.

However, as dahamsta as pointed out, yours is a purely commercial site, selling consumer goods. Any articles would not even be central to the site as they would simply be designed to drive traffic in the hope of getting more sales. As such, an author is not going to get any kudos from any editorial published to your site.

In short; go pay for it and stop being such a tyre-kicker.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by 80project
    Although feldy is getting a bit of "free" publicity out of this thread I'll let it stay.

Thank you - my intentions were pure and I wasnt sure if this post would have been permitted.
    Originally posted by 80project
    Although as Adam pointed out maybe you should put a figure on that "Discount" ! 10 or 20 % or whatever you see fit. You have to incentivise the invitation to some extent.

in this tight market, we would be very excited if we were able to get that much margin, but i regret to say those days are over.
    I must point out that one of our "mission statements" is "best of breed without the greed" and as a result, our margins are quite low, and vary from 2-10% dependant on product.

There will be no going back on my word, if i offer something to boards members, as a thank you, i will stand by my word that it is at my cost price. The breakdown will be cost price of item, + vat & delivery. I can get items delivered across the country and whatever my COST on delivery is, will be passed on with no additions.

This is the best I can offer, and it may suit only some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by feldy
    IE when we have the ability to do this, we will offer it
    I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today...

:rolleyes: :p:D

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    In short; go pay for it and stop being such a tyre-kicker.

point taken, and believe me, i would love to be in a position to offer renumeration for it, but we have very little money as we are a start up, however, as mentioned before, if the situation changes, those who aided us in are early days will not be forgotten.

as i said, it may suit some peole, and not others. i am not tyre kicking.

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today...

:rolleyes: :p:D
    good one.

can i be straight with you, i was not looking for a free ride on this, and i was not looking to upset people. its one of those things that either suits you or it dosent. there is no point in continually taking the piss out of this idea as i diddnt post this to invite multiple threads of people looking to vent or have a laugh.

I also diddnt post it as a publicity stunt, so with that said i hope it will be taken for what it is. my request was made in an honest manner, without hidden agendas. take it for what it is, or dont take it all.

if i had wads of cash, i would offer it, but we are small, and growing thanks to our valued customers. we are not a komplett or a play.com yet, and if and when we reach that level, those that helped us get there with thier goodwill will be rewarded.

thanks

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

While not wild about commercial sites I agree with the Mod and feldy has at least been honest about what he's offering.

Personally I wouldnt be getting into Tech Journalism if I were anyone but Boards as the community-monster is about to eat that lunch (I hope!).

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No intention to tick anyone off here btw. Just telling it like it is. Corinthian's pretty much summed it up for me.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    No intention to tick anyone off here btw. Just telling it like it is. Corinthian's pretty much summed it up for me.

adam

fair nuff:)

thank you all for your support so far. keep em coming!

Advertisement