Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witte Associates - WARNING!!!

• 14-07-2003 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just thought i would give a heads up about this scam. I was contacted by "Jason" from the netherlands looking to buy 4 laptops for his company "Witte Associates Ltd" who were setting up offices here. I duly sent quotation and they responded with a purchase order, saying my company would be paid by bank draft COD, he originally offered credit card, but I am not set up to accept visa...so I order laptops from distributors, and make delivery to "Paul James", collect the bank draft for correct amount. all seems well...

then last friday morning i got a call from the bank to tell me that the bank draft was a forgery and had been doctored, oh ****! so I leg it back to delivery address and get the landlord of the building who of course knows no-one by the description. So I call the cops and they arrive like lightning to search the place. We find another invoice from a company in donnybrook who had sold 4 3M Projectors to these scum, turns out that they had paid them by stolen credit card.

This is a highly organised gang according to the Garda, it also took AIB three stages of cheque clearance for the problem to be spotted, so please be warned about this guys!

If you are contacted by anyone from Amsterdam, Netherlands, Holland etc, looking for 3/4/5 pieces of high price equipment then please contact Kevin Street Garda station and ask to speak to someone in the detective unit...they will know what to do next...

Thanks for reading...and yes I lost nearly 6 grand on this little adventure...lets not let is happen to anyone else...

Bazooka...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Ouch, cheers for the heads up Bazooka.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Ouch, that was nasty. BTW I think this would be better placed on another forum rather than in Broadband.

I'm sure Witte Associates will be called something else next time and work from another temp address. They'd basically do one big purchase then move on.

Credit card fraud has a hugh base of operatives in Ireland, with Nigerian gangs playing the biggest roles, along with our own and Eastern European gangs. There's people in town who offer a few hundred Euro for valid CC numbers. Their suppliers are usually people working in shops and restaurants who memorise or copy the details of cards handed in by customers for payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

it was a nigerian gang that got me...interestingly the company name Witte Associates was used on three companies that the Garda know about...

Where else do you think i should post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

This scam has been used before on a crowd in the UK, but the contact wasn't from the Netherelands iirc. I could be mistaken mind you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I suppose post it here in business economy etc:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=106

I know a few people who've been stung badly by Nigerian's here and needless to say none of them would deal with one again. One guy I know is a landlord and got stung 5 or 6 times by them. On top of that he was getting calls from the police regularly about similar incidents as your situation where they'd just up and leave the flat after having fscked over a load of people, including the landlord himself. Now he won't let any Nigerians stay in his flats. I suppose that makes him a racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

not sure if it makes him racist...just sensible given his experiences, I for one will definatley not be doing business with them again, and will be telling as many people as i can the same thing...

I will post it over in econ/bus...thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Blade
    I suppose post it here in business economy etc:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=106

I know a few people who've been stung badly by Nigerian's here and needless to say none of them would deal with one again. One guy I know is a landlord and got stung 5 or 6 times by them. On top of that he was getting calls from the police regularly about similar incidents as your situation where they'd just up and leave the flat after having fscked over a load of people, including the landlord himself. Now he won't let any Nigerians stay in his flats. I suppose that makes him a racist.

That makes him cautious, wise and shows that he elarns from his mistakes (after giving them the benifit of the doubt several times and being fncked over each time).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement