Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitten from hell.

• 14-07-2003 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

my housemates got a kitten(without asking me i might add) and its a walking ****,
    never have i seen something so small with so much hate packed inside it.

Every time you walk in to the utility room where it lives, first you get a whack across the face with the thick smell of cat crap and then it hisses at you, or more to the point your feet.
    In fact it hisses at any movement you make, even when you give it food.
    however it is very afraid of everything so its getting a chance.

anyway, i think its kinda blind or stupid or something as its co-ordination is pretty bad and its eyes always seem to be squinting.
    how long does it take for a kitten to open its eyes fully?

i'd say it was at the most 3 weeks old when they got it (otherwise it probably would have been drowned) so its still tiny...

also any cat related advice would be helpful...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

its obviously quite scared as it has been taken off its mother too early. I'm not 100% sure but much like humans I dont think that the cat should be on solids so early.I would bottle feed it. Cats get something similar to conjunctivitis, either way it seems like its in poor health. I suggest taking it to a vet, if you haven't got the cash find out where your local mobile vet is, they visit my area once a week and are free.
    In the mean time I would get a hot water bottle, not too hot mind you, and wrap it up in a blanket, get something that ticks, and alarm clock etc, and put that under the blanket. This dupes the cat into thinking its still with its mother and gives it some comfort, the ticking represents the mother's heartbeat. Eye infections in a kitten so young is not a good sign, and it sounds like the poor thing is scared s**tless, literally. Kittens do **** alot but what are you feeding it?
    Make sure you's haven't done something really stupid like put it beside a loud washing machine or something, and if its nervous try and get one person to feed it all the time rather than four or five people constantly annoying it.
    BRING THE CAT TO THE VET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Every time you walk in to the utility room where it lives
    No cat-flap?
    Hmmm.
    Odour-eating kitty litter time.

anyway, i think its kinda blind or stupid or something as its co-ordination is pretty bad and its eyes always seem to be squinting.
    how long does it take for a kitten to open its eyes fully?
    Up to six weeks or so.
    i'd say it was at the most 3 weeks old when they got it (otherwise it probably would have been drowned) so its still tiny...
    Ah. Right. At three weeks it should still be with it's mother. You may have a problem here. It's going to need a lot more care than you may have initially thought. And it's not going to seem appreciative because cat's aren't primates. The body language is all wrong.

Try :
    http://www.kittencare.com/
    http://www.care-for-my-cat.com/index.php3
    http://www.cfainc.org/caring.html

ps.
    And yes, get him or her to the vet as soon as you possibly can. They'll have to given him or her some shots anyway and test for various things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

When we had a young kitten we had to feed it milk using an eye dropper. Also are you sure it's not a feral kitten?

Also are you sure it's not a feral kitten?
    No such thing at three weeks old - a cat doesn't turn feral until it's much older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Christ, if I was that kitten I'd be upset too. She should still be drinking off her mammy's teet!

What are they feeding her? She should have a warm cosey box or something with a blanket in it. Is the utility room cold at all? Can they keep her in one of their bedrooms or find a good home for her if they don't want to keep her?

Poor little kitten's probably scared out of it's brain :(

We "rescued" a kitten once from a horrible breeder that had no clue what she was doing. He was tiny, sick, underfed and slept in a cage on a cold floor. He nearly died, had to stay at the vets for a while and we had to hand feed him and keep him in the bedroom during the first few weeks. It was really horrible to see what some people do to cute little kittens :(

Gl anyway, and do have her checked out by a vet aswell... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Kittens that young are a 24/7 job.
    Leaving it in the utility room on its own for long periods will result in one pissed off scared kitty. U either need to let it become part of the household properly and look after it, or find somone else who will.
    *If* you are *absolutely* stuck, I maybe would take it in, I have 2 allready one is pretty broody and another will prolly adopt it without much hassle.

If you want me to take it you would have to drop it out to me in Clondalkin, the only night Im available is Thursday (Tomorrow) from 5pm-10:30pm so let me know in this thread.

Remember, this kitten is gonna take a LOT of looking after, if u are not prepared to do it, u cant jus leave it in a room to look after itself.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

That poor kitten should be with it's mother until 8 weeks.

What irresponsible twat gets a 3 week old kitten and leaves it alone in a utility room? Your housemate needs a good open-hand smack in the face IMO.

How is the kitten?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Give the kitten a wooly jacket, a little kiss and encourage it to be the best that it can be. Carry it round in your pocket(kinship), make sure it's botty is wiped clean first, to prevent smearing.

Kittens are useful for blockin keyhole drafts, polishing oak furniture and as somethin to wipe your hands in after eatin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah that reminds me of that piss-take andrex ad when the little girl runs out of toilet paper so she wipes her ass with the labrador puppy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I suppose that your room-mate's kitten is older now but if it's still 'a little ****', try playing with it. My cat was old enough to leave his mother when we got him, but he was still quite apprehensive when we brought him home, so we played with him (only when he was willing to, mind you)and gave him lots of attention and he was alright and settled in quicker than anticipated. The hot-water-bottle-and-clock idea is a very good one if the kitten still shows signs of missing his mother, but I doubt that he still does at this stage. DON'T LEAVE THE CAT IN THE UTILITY ROOM ALL OF THE TIME. We planned to leave our cat in the kitchen but he wasn't very happy with this arrangement, and we noticed that he would do anything to get upstairs, into the living room etc. Give the cat some freedom. If the cat still squints a lot you should really bring it to the vet, eye infections can be very irritating for everyone, cats included.
    It's quite likely that my advice isn't needed now, but at least it's there for other cat-owners.

Advertisement