Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

good article. There Is No Best Way!

• 14-07-2003 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Interesting article about various stuff concerning working out.

There Is No Best Way

Following issues raised>
    Free Weights Versus Machines
    Isolation Versus Compound Movements
    Few Versus Many Exercises
    High Versus Low Reps
    Single Versus Multiple Sets
    Long Versus Short Training Sessions
    Short Versus Long Rests Between Sets
    Slow Versus Fast Tempos (Contraction Speed)
    Full Versus Partial Range of Motion

Tell me what you guys think of the article. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

It's not really a very shocking paper in my view. He repeatedly highlights variation as a key, which most everyone already knows.

Some things tho ...

Free weights are better than machine weights.

No question. He argues isolation of machines against stabilisation of free weights. Free weights can also be used to isolate (granted some specific benches are required). But with correct benches, bars and so on, most all can be done "free".

Development of stabilising muscles for general balance of health, strength and avoiding injury far surpasses any machine isolation benefit. Fixed axis machines do have a place in programs, but core movements where possible should be done free.

High reps Low reps

Yes variation helps, I vary my programs every 4 weeks. The 1 rep approach (HIT Training) is utter ****ing bollox in my view and I have been very unimpressed by the two people who claim to follow this training approach who I have had the mispleasure to meet. As regards >50 reps .. again .. with such a light weight necessary to rep this you are generally wasting your time, unless you are training for some specific endurance test. I do a single burn out at the end of each session nowadays, but this is not the same.

Single v Multiple sets

Burnouts are best left to be done at the end of a program, every now and again to really exhaust a single muscle group. I don't see why this is considered an either/or case.

All the rest of the stuff is just about balance and variation as he says. A lot of training comes down to a personal feeling level in my view. You start to recognise how your muscles respond and how to train them the way you want.

JAK.

Advertisement