Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FaveGigAtWitnness???????

Options
  • 14-07-2003 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Turn
    The Datsuns
    Manic Street Preachers

(in chronological order)

also thought berkeley, snow patrol and the warlocks were really cool too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

Ladytron......no question.....

followed by Echo & the bunnymen.......although these were probably the only two gigs I was arsed seeing....I'm sure there were some other good ones though....oh i saw Calexico too...they were very good and a bit of the cardigans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

Ladytron?

the sound was **** for ladytron.

Ah the Rapture and Har Mar Sup[erstar.

Mars Volta were good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭eddiesheridan

For me the super furry animals were the best band there. Gerry fish played a stormer and the streets were good also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

TURN, DEFINITELY!!!
    Damien Rice, The Datsuns, BellX1 and the Revs all kicked so much ass too!
    And as for Mars Volta, had never heard of them, but what a f*****g performance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

For me nothing came even remotely close to the brilliance of The Flaming Lips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Turn were really really really good. Polpyphonic spree were really good too.. all happy & smily and making you jumop around lots. 10 speed racer were good too, oh and bellX1.. and most people i saw i enjoyed.
    YEY! no more stinky portaloos!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

Hmm,

Flaming Lips
    Gemma Hayes
    The Jimmy Cake
    Mars Volta

pity about the rather large mess made of Mogwai's set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

Damien Rice definitely.
    An absolutely spine tingling performance!!
    And Turn were amazing too.
    Can't forget Berkeley, especially when the singer jumped into the crowd.
    What a weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

Flaming Lips
    mogwai
    alphastatesww)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Ok well here goes.....erm ANSWER IS YES

Sorry, fave bands I guess were the starter of Snow Patrol (good to see em back) and Warlocks(good to see em without blinkin strobey thing), side salad of bits of Leon, Har Mar then the main course of Datsuns and then finish off with a fireworks over sydney harbour bridge like Manics performance.

Sorry went a bit far then, but fork me, what a good nite out of a $hite line up.

Promise not to mention the G word again until next summer!!!

Was better tho...hehe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Miss-Misery

The Frames were absolutely amazing, as were the flaming lips and the super furries. The manics were impressive,considering i'm not a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I can't belive no one has mentioned 80's Matchbox B-Line Disaster! I thought they were brilliant. On stage though so I suppose not many people saw them. Apart from them I thought the best bands were The Frames, Ok Go, The Mars Volta and The Manics to my surprise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 catch urself on

Both days started off great for me with HiRise on Sat and Republic of Loose (aka johnny pyro) on Sunday. Sound was a bit poor for Kings of Leon but have to say my favourite was without a doubt 80's Matchbox B-Line Disaster. I well and trully lost my rasher. Missed Mars Volta due to an intoxicated friend and was gutted to hear amazing reports back from everyone who saw them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

thought the Frames were fantastic too, the harmonies from the crowd actually sounded great to me!

ah the Flaming Lips though.. that was pretty wonderful ..

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Originally posted by memaeve
    TURN, DEFINITELY!!!
    Damien Rice, The Datsuns, BellX1 and the Revs all kicked so much ass too!
    And as for Mars Volta, had never heard of them, but what a f*****g performance!!

Flea played all the bass lines for Mars Volta's newest album. Wot was their bassist like compared to the Flea????

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

As much as I didn't want to like them, the Thrills were brilliant in the Rising tent, but champions of Witnness have go to be the Polyphonic Spree. They made me smile allllllll night!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cherry

The Thrills were really good, considering I'm not a huge fan at all. I thought David Kitt was pretty damn good too as were the Warlocks, Ladytron, the Basement, INME & the Flaming Lips.

Coldplay were disappointing because all the lead singer did was say how **** they were & wait for the audience to cheer & clap & all that **** to make him feel better.

Best of the weekend ..

Echo & the Bunnymen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I was slightly worried about echo & the bunnymen cause I heard a recent recoreding of killing moon and it was so bad I thought it was a dodgy cover but they were amazing coldplays cover of lips like suger wasnt great and I heard that Mac joined them on stage for it at T in the park which would have been better.

Snow Patrol wre brilliant even though they did what youre not supposed to do at a festival and played loads of new stuff and left out one of their best known songs the new album should be great.

the Flaming Lips were brilliantly weird I was in the pit so I was surrounded by other fans I dont know what the david gray day trippers would have made of them.

Turn were brilliant it was absolutly jammed even a friend of mine who normally doesent like Irsh bands thought they were good.

The Manic's played a fantastic set two holy bible tracks that werent faster a couple of songs off the b-sides and covers album including the great take the skinheads bowling. The didnt completly ignore casual fans as the inclued a good few of their hits and the brilliant little baby nothing.
    the basment, berkley and gemma hayes wre also impressive.

Ok in the lead so far .....

Flaming Lips - 7 votes

Turn / Mars Volta / Manics - 5 votes

Bunnymen/Datsuns/Frames - 3 votes

Ladytron/Furries/damien rice/bellx1/polyphonic/gemma hayes/berkely/snowpatrol/warlocks/80's matchbox/kings of leon/Thrills/Basement - all on 2 votes

Calexico/rapture/har mar/gerry fish/streets/Revs/10 speed racer/jimmy cake/mogwai/alphastates/ok go/hiRise/johhny pyro/david kitt/InMe - all on 1 vote

yes...i'm bored in work today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cherry

Calexico & Jimmy Cake get votes from me too. I wasn't a fan at all until I saw em.

& Coldplay's cover of Lips like Sugar was terrible. No competition with Echo's version earlier that day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

ive gotta say Turn were the best of the weekend by far

but a close second has to go to republic of loose damn i love that band..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

The manics were defo the best act there a perfect festival set, a mix of old songs, radio friendly hits and classic covers.
    Pity James doesnt know the lyrics to a lot of the songs he seemed to forgot the first chorus of Die in the summer time

Manics were closely followed by Mogwai, its a damn shame they were forced to cut their show, although apparently during the set Stuart was told they were told that they could only play one more song so they played the 24 minute opus 'My father my king' (that will learn the organisers !!!)

Then the Mull Historical Society were amasing aswell perfect pop songs and a air tight band combined with the coolest keybopard player ever seen, showed Chris Martin a thing or two about dancing and playing keys at the same time !!!!!

Super Furries were great too pity they choose such an acoustic set though 'the kids' didnt seen to get into them at all

Biggest disappointment Kings Of Leon, same old same old rip off 70s punk and rock bands get preclaimed as the future of rock and worst of all they look like the band stillwater from Almost Famous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Can I vote for the Manics again!!!!

after all......... Its So Easy.

I also liked the Polyphonic Spree cos im a girl and dance round my handbag a lot.

And the best band of the weekend were Coldplay, because I didnt see them because the grass was growing in my garden and I needed to keep a check on it. (Also applies to shaky head)

Cant believe no one else mentioned Har Mar Superstar...come on where the feck where ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Mogwai

Flaming Lips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"Biggest disappointment Future Kings Of Spain, same old same old rip off 70s punk and rock bands get preclaimed as the future of rock and worst of all they look like the band stillwater from Almost Famous"

I think you mean Kings of Leon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I will go with The Rapture - funky as hell. Also Mars Volta.. crazy, just crazy.
    Kings of Leon were indeed disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

1. mogwai
    2.flaming lips
    3. Royksopp
    4.Manics
    5.Turn
    6.Polyphonic
    7.Gemma hayes
    8.Super furry animals

not a bad weekend at all :D

ok an update..........

Flaming Lips - 9 votes

Turn / Manics - 7 votes

Mars Volta - 6 votes

Furries - 5 votes

Bunnymen/Datsuns/Frames/polyphonic/ gemma hayes/mogwai - 3 votes

Ladytron/Rapture/Calexico/damien rice /bellx1/berkely/snowpatrol/warlocks/80's matchbox/kings of leon/Thrills/Basement/jimmy cake - all on 2 votes

har mar/Royksopp/gerry fish/streets/Revs/10 speed racer/alphastates/ok go/hiRise/johhny pyro/david kitt/InMe/ Mull historical/republic of loose - all on 1 vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Pumpkinhead

Definitely DAMIEN RICE...Without a shadow of a doubt..

the performance was breathtaking...the sun was setting...lisa was incredible and Damien gave it everything...INCREDIBLE!!

(other gigs in top 5...)

Manic Street Preachers
    Mars Voltar
    Polyphonic Spree
    Coldplay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

SNOW PATROL, SNOW PATROL, SNOW PATROL, SNOW PATROL, SNOWPATROL..........ETC,ETC.

Advertisement