Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compaq Presario AC adaptor replacement

• 14-07-2003 5:45pm

I need a replacement AC adaptor for my Compaq Presario 713EA.

Like the one here:

http://www.shopmemory.net/bvdbsqpbegps70.html

I've been quoted a crazy E170 by Compustore here in Limerick....does anyone know a good place to pick up such items? Most preferably Limerick but anywhere in Ireland will do......

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

You are probably in a hurry, but I got a replacement ac adapter for E20 off ebay...

Hmmm really....I'm not in that much of a hurry that I'll spend over 100 on a glorified plug....

did you have any problems using the adaptor in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have a Preasario 905 adapter (it's US, but it is universal voltage and it has an adapter plug also). Gits who swiped my laptop forgot to get it.

Interested ? Would swap it for a game or a PC part or something, sell it for cash too if you prefer.

Actually scratch that, mine is not a car one like the one in your link, it is standard mains.

Errr no hang about I didnt realise the one in the link is for a car....its an ordinary mains one I'm after.

The thing is I'm not sure what is ok when it comes to replacing an ac adaptor....I mean does the voltage and wattage have to be the same as the orignal or just the voltage or what?

I checked Ebay and someone was selling one for a Presario 710 and mine is a 713ea...I thought surely it would work but then again I wasnt sure....

I'd be interested in taking yours off your hands if you're sure it'll work

the output voltage on my original is 19V (and a funny line followed by 3.16A) and 60 W MAX

then again it also says "REPLACE ONLY WITH COMPAQ SPARES"

• Advertisement

Well mine is genuine Compaq. For the 900 Series (mine was an XP1600, laptop was swiped a couple of weeks after I got it, so it's literally as new) . It shouldn't matter what country it's for as it is the (very expensive usually) universal compaq adapter which worked fine for me in Ireland and in the US, I even have 2 extension cords for it (you know the bit that goes from the adapter to the mains), one for Ireland and one for US.

I will try to root it out tonight when I get home, take a picture with the model number etc... and post it later.

The beauty of laptop power supplies ( well all that I've seen anyway ) is that they work on both 220 and 110v. My psu was shipped from hong kong, with a european power cord. It worked no probs. I'm now in the states, so I bought an american power cord and once again its working fine. The specs on your adapter are identical to mine. You could use a hp adapter with no problems, the model number is F1454A.
    As a rule of thumb, the voltage should be the same as the original, the current, and so wattage ( voltage * current ) should be equal or higher. ( The laptop only draws as much current as it needs ).

Can't get a pic at the moment.

It says, replace with Compaq Spare 239704-001

Another code on the Adaptor is : CT:557C40CLLNR4GQ

Power:

Input: 100-240V ~ 1.6A 50-60Hz
    Output: 18.5V ~ 3.5A LPS

Not exactley the same as yours, but may well work all the same. Not sure. Gerry ?

They normally have a tolerance of +/- 1V. I've run my laptop on an 18V ( 1V below normal ) supply, jury rigged. Worked fine, and charged the battery fully. I wonder will your connector fit Crew Fluffy Misfortunes laptop though.

I found an exact pic of my adaptor....Gerry maybe you can tell whether the connectors are the same???? Not easy I know....

180675-001.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks roughly the same, but can't see the inside of the pin, or the scale :)
    But, worst coming to the worst, you could buy a connector and wire it on, extremely easy.

My connector looks the same alright (trying to judge the scale vs the thickness of the cable and assuming the pin is the same inside).

The replacement part is written on the main label. However there is another sticker which says replace with 285546-001 and I think that is more realistic as I have seen that code pop up with a compaq 900 (and the 1500 I think) on the web. No mention anywhere of it working with a 700 series. Shame theres no easy way for us to try without expensive postage both ways.

I have tried the compaq site but it's too slow for my 56k connection at the moment.

I've pm'ed you....could you check your control panel??

Advertisement