Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W2k-server and Partition Magic

Options
  • 14-07-2003 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right forum, if not please move.

I went to install Partition Magic on our server (running w2k) today.
    It failed after suggesting i use Volume Manager (also by PowerQuest) for a server.

Now after looking up the prices i was shocked to find that while Partition Magic is just £22, Volume Manager is more along the lines of £220.
    My Question is this, whats the difference. Can i just load W2K (ie not in server mode) and use Partition Magic or is there a perfeclty valid reason why i shouldnt use Partition Magic on a machine used primarily as a server.
    All i want to do is merge two partitions and i aint gonna pay that huge amount just for the privilege.

Could anything dodgy happen if i used PartitionMagic7 on a normal boot then booted back into server mode.
    (i assume no but thought id check it out first)

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You could install it on a non-server OS, make the 'rescue' boot diskettes, then boot off them and rearrange the partitions on your server.

This may not be legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Thing is its not a problem booting into regular w2k.
    I use BootMagic ( :rolleyes: ) which gives me a choice of the server or regular pro version of W2k.

So all im wondering is if for some reason i'd loose data doing it this way. As a company server that would loose me days of getting the right backups :/

Advertisement