Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet DSL modem (already have a router)

• 14-07-2003 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on what would be a good choice for an ethernet DSL modem, to work with Netsource. And where would be a good place to get it? (e.g. cheap with cheap delivery to Ireland)

I'm thinking of this Zoom from dslwarehouse.co.uk. Their delivery to Ireland is £10, which is cheaper than many.

I already have a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless Cable/DSL router. It's got 4 LAN ports and a WAN port to connect the modem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I got the Zoom X4 from PC World for €119.99, it's got USB and 1 Ethernet port, plus it's XBox Live compatible. I've had no problems with it so far.

Ciarán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

wait im lost do you need to have a router, dsl modem, and a network card just to get on the net with dsl??? if your not doing for a simple USB modem thing? As in what exactly do u need to use a pc and an X box live for instance? you need a router right?? so does that mean u also need a ethernet modem and a NIC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    wait im lost do you need to have a router, dsl modem, and a network card just to get on the net with dsl???
    No. A lot of ppl on this board use the router without really knowing what they do. Routers forward packets from a LAN to another LAN or WAN (such as the internet). This isn't exactly a huge job, so any pc can function as a router, it doesn't have to be a hardware router. If you're only connecting one pc, then you don't have a LAN and you don't need a router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

As MrPinK said, when you have one PC and that's all you're worried about getting online, then a USB ADSL modem is fine, you don't need anything else. You can also use an internal ADSL modem, which plugs into one of your PCI slots, or even an external ethernet one if you want, though you will need an ethernet card as well for that option.

When you want more than one device - be it PC, Mac, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, ZX Spectrum, whatever - to connect via the one ADSL link, you have to share it somehow. Typically this is done by networking all the devices together on a LAN and then connecting the LAN to the Internet via a router. This router may be software-based, such as Internet Connection Sharing that comes with Windows, or may be hardware-based, such as an external ADSL router.

Software routers are often cheaper - free in the case of ICS - but require that the PC be switched on, and takes some processing power, though not enough that you'd really notice. Hardware routers are optimised devices, so they'll typically perform better, plus it's easier to leave them switched on. You also don't need to wait (as long) for them to boot up.

Functionally, they are both the same, and link your LAN to the Internet. You will also need to connect all your devices to the LAN. This may involve using a hub or switch, and installing network cards where necessary. Many hardware ADSL routers also include 4 or 8 port hubs/switches, so you can get it all in one box.

If you only have two machines - e.g. a PC and an XBox - then you don't necessarily need a hub/switch. You can use what is called a cross-over cable to directly connect two network cards to form the "LAN". In this way you can share a USB ADSL modem with an XBox - install a network card in your PC, set up ICS, and connect your XBox to your PC's network card using a cross-over cable. There's some configuring to do, but that's the basics.

If you want to use a hardware router, then get one with a hub/switch if you don't have this already. You will need a network card installed in your PC, and then connect this to the hub in the router. Also connect the XBox to the hub. These are connected with regular patch cables, not cross-over ones. That's the physical bit done, then you configure the networking, which may not be required at all since the defaults will probably work fine.

The final option if you want to share the link with just 1 PC and 1 XBox is to use something like the Zoom X4. It has both a USB port and an Ethernet port that can be used at the same time. Plug the PC into the USB port, and the XBox into the Ethernet port. Bob's your uncle! If you feel like getting adventurous later on, or when you get more PCs/PS3/XBox2/whatever, then you can always buy a cheap hub/switch and share the Ethernet connection.

Hope this makes it clearer.

Ciarán.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Ciarán,

Thanks for your recommendation of the Zoom. I decided to sell my current wireless router and get an all-in-one box (including the ADSL modem) as I’m under pressure to reduce rather than increase the number of boxes and wires in the house.

The main advantages of an external hardware router for me would be:
    • No fan in the router, so it is quiet and can be left on all the time without being annoying. I have what is supposedly a ‘quiet’ PC but my god it would drive me up the wall if I couldn’t turn it off. One of the main reasons that I use a (completely silent) laptop.
    • Routers rarely crash. If you are using ICS, the internet connection will go down any time the host PC crashes or needs to be rebooted.
    • The router can be put in a different room from your PC(s) - useful if your telephone connection is far away from the computers - particularly if it is a wireless router.
    • In my experience these things are much easier to set up than ICS, have more options, and are more glitch-free in use. ICS in Windows XP is much better than previous versions and is quite easy to set up but I at least have occasional mysterious failures. (I'm using it at the moment to share a dial-up connection wirelessly until my ADSL arrives.) I’m talking about the 3com OfficeConnect series here and other simple devices – setting up a Cisco router through the command line is not easier than ICS (although they will also run glitch-free once properly configured).
    As Ciarán says, though, you only need one of these if you want to share internet access among more than 1 device (or - if you have a laptop and want wireless access).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I'm going to get the 3com router/4 port hub/firewall from komplett moday week when i get paid, then I'll run all 3 of my machines thru the connection :)

I have a USB modem at the minute which may be a problem, i think you can get USB to ethernet adapters but I'm oging to have to look it up.

El_MUERkO,

USB to Ethernet adapters work in one way only, i.e. they add an ethernet adapter to a computer through USB. You can't use them the other way around, to plug an USB DSL modem into the 3com router.

You would need to get an ethernet ADSL modem - such as the Zoom which has been recommended. There are a lot of people looking for DSL modems at the moment however so you should be able to sell your current one easily enough, and put the money towards the ethernet modem.

cheers blorg :/ I knew I'd **** this up somehow :(

Theres a shop in town selling an US Robotics ethernet DSL modem for €95 that looks pretty good.

As you walk from Maplin to the liffey its on your right before you get to the Morrison.

I know the one - Unity Etail (www.unity.ie). Funny shop, I always thought they were a front for the mafia. I don't know why.

That's a very good price for an ethernet modem IMHO - sounds like a good option, and exactly what you need. US Robotics are a good brand also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

If you've already got a USB modem, I'd go for the ICS option. You can pick up 4 port hub for as little as €30. It may be a bit of hassle turning on your main pc when on of the others needs to go online, but you're saving yourself over €100

• Advertisement

One of the other computers is for others to use, i dont want them going near my main machine and I dont want to leave it on all day so I think I'll get the US Robotics modem and the 3 com router/hub/firewall from komplett and have done with it.

I'm not in any rush though, I'll wait till I'm flush.

But if anyone in dublin wants a perfectly good E-Tech usb modem for €65 (thats €10 off) you can look in the for sale board in a week or two :)

Advertisement