Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircoms Broadband Allowance

• 14-07-2003 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I am just after getting my broadband set up and I have been reading that Eircom have not yet been charging people for going over their download allowance...I wanna know right NOW has anyone been charged yet or is it still screwed up so I can download as much as I like.:ninja:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Id say its more of a try ure luck thing really :/ I doubt anyone knows for sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

that would be handy if it was though! d/l mass amount of music, videos etc!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Jaffus

Hmmmm since I have got connected I have been constantly freaking out now wondering why my downloadload allowance is been eaten up so fast and if i need to pay for going over the damn thing I believe that the cap is defeating the purpose of why we all got broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

If you can, switch to netsource :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Yeah. No point in having big teeth if you're stuck on a leash :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

With the way Eircon work, i would not be surprised of they dont keep a note of it and when they are ready give everyone a huge bill for all the times they have gone over the cap.. some people might need a second mortgage!

I wanna know right NOW has anyone been charged yet or is it still screwed up so I can download as much as I like.

Be careful with this even if they haven't been charging to date. If you go over the limit, they'll still be able to bill you for the amount months later. Its not the case that u go over, they charge straight away & if they don't then all's good. They can still bill at any stage throughout the year. (not sure the exact period, but i have a feeling its abt a 6 month period whereby they can bill within, could be wrong though )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Get yourself a Bandwidth Monitor. Google and you will find... :) . Most of the Bandwidth monitors out will allow you to place a cap on your transfer and alert you when you are reaching the cap. Very useful stuff. :)

In a few years time expect a big bill of the times you went over the Eircom cap too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

But surely you could claim you were mislead by the advertisments claiming "Unlimited Broadband Access To The Internet" etc. and that the term broadband, is generally taken to mean flat-rate aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Doubt it would work SyxPak.
    Would be nice tho if it did, finally would mean (more?) egg on Eircoms face when they realise their dodgy ad campaign turned around and bit them in the ass.

O well i can dream can't i? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Jaffus

Well on the box that my modem came in STATES that I can "surf when I like,for as long as I like,as often as I like,for a flat monthly fee" seems that Eircom have a better way of twisting words than the Yanks do over Weapons of Mass destruction.

Me No Like The Lies :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by SyxPak
    But surely you could claim you were mislead by the advertisments claiming "Unlimited Broadband Access To The Internet" etc. and that the term broadband, is generally taken to mean flat-rate aswell.

Nothing wrong with that claim, you DO have unlimited access. Last time i checked Broadband does not equate flat rate in any dictionary (altho i grant that its implied, that is becoming less and less certain).

Well on the box that my modem came in STATES that I can "surf when I like,for as long as I like,as often as I like,for a flat monthly fee"

You can. There is nothing stopping you. They could probably legally hide behind the word 'surf' there :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

It's a bit of a pain in the nads but at least things are moving in the right direction. Suppose it's like owning a Ferrari and being able to drive over 150 mph for 400 miles per month, then you can't drive it until the following month. Personally, I'd just rub it with a damp cloth myself ;)

Advertisement