Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so are you in a political party?

Options
  • 14-07-2003 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

im not going to judge you if you are or anything but it just seems from reading some of the posts on this forum that ye probably would be decent people to have in a party,as in you know whay you are talking about,so what party are you in and why(im not a member of any group).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm not. My political beliefs are that political representatives don't work because one person's political opinions and vested interests will never match another's fully. Political parties are even worse in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

ah yes but surely the only way you could change something is by joining a party or setting up your own?(or writing volume upon volume of theory and let others act upon it ala marx & engels)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Many independants have achieved a lot without the support of a party, usually by playing the parties off each other. "Achieved" in this case is not the same as doing something good.

I'm not a member of a political party. I've wanted to join one for nearly two years now, and nearly have on several occasions, but I've always held off at the last. None of them shine. Most of them don't even glimmer.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

well im a member of yfg, dont laugh people, im proud of it.

ah yes but surely the only way you could change something is by joining a party
    The only thing I'd want to accomplish in the current political system is to change the Constitution to grant the people the right to call a binding referendum on topical issues by submitting a petition to the government with the signatures of 4% of the population on it.
    And in order to get that done, I'd have to either pay off or blackmail a majority of the TD's in the dail, because while the idea is in the best interests of the people, it's in direct opposition to the best interests of the TDs.
    So I don't particularly feel like dropping my job and devoting my life to trying to achieve it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

I'm not a member of a party although sometimes I think I should join one seeing as how quite frankly this country is going to the dogs and the current shower aren't doing jack about it.

If I was to join any party it would be Fianna Fáil, not that I like them or anything it's just that the alternative are so mind-blowingly awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon
    If I was to join any party it would be Fianna Fáil, not that I like them or anything it's just that the alternative are so mind-blowingly awful.
    ROFL

"If I was to join any party it would be Fianna Fáil, not that I like them or anything it's just that the alternative are so mind-blowingly awful."

to play devils advocate if i may,but can it not be argued the shambles that the economy and country in general at the moment be attributed to the present gov. at the moment?i.e.ff/pds?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I too am an ff person. My sisters are big into yff and my da is a ff counciler. There has always been a ff influence in my house since I was young and I suppose I adapted to it and adopted to it.

And I agree with invincibleirish, some of the countries state is blamable on the current government but its not as if just changing the parties would make a hugh dirrerence. This country needs Sparks idea. I have heard it suggested before many times and thing it is a good step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by TomTom
    And I agree with invincibleirish, some of the countries state is blamable on the current government but its not as if just changing the parties would make a hugh dirrerence.

So what you're in effect saying is that while it may be FF's fault, no-one else could do a better job anyway, so its ok to keep supporting them.

I'm curious....do you have any grounds for believing that no-one else could do a better job, or is it based on an unquestioned belief that the party you support are the best (or else you wouldnt support them!), ergo no-one can do better?

jc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Maybe I am just being paranoid!, but I find this thread and the question posed, strangely disconcerting. I also have a feeling that it may even have a hidden agenda.

Therefore, I believe it would be unwise for anyone too give a straight answer to it.

no there is nothing sinister on my part, i just see that on this board a lot of people are very good on various things and i was wondering whether they confine this just to the message boards or are they in parties actually,how shall i say, doing something?*, i suppose an anonymous poll though would be better.

*i know u dont have to be in a pp to make a difference

invincibleirish,

Yes, an - Anonymous Poll probably would encourage more of a response?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Originally posted by invincibleirish
    to play devils advocate if i may,but can it not be argued the shambles that the economy and country in general at the moment be attributed to the present gov. at the moment?i.e.ff/pds?
    Absolutely. They are an utterly incompetent shower of chancers without vison, principle or intelligence who have no business running a country. Here's the problem: the opposition are worse.

Who am I supposed to vote for? Fine Gael? They've openly admitted they stand for nothing and have no policies, which means they are only in politics for personal gain. Labour I am ideologically opposed to on pretty much everything. The Greens are brainless morons (see Nice debate and anti-War protests). Sinn Féin are traitors.

So I'm kind of stuck for choice here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

None of the current pp's, but can't think of a good name for my own party. To be honest, the idea of pp's is laughable, you'll never get two people let alone a whole party to agree on on everything that the electorate vote on or are worried about. Plus no politican in this country has any charm or charisma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by bonkey
    So what you're in effect saying is that while it may be FF's fault, no-one else could do a better job anyway, so its ok to keep supporting them.

I'm curious....do you have any grounds for believing that no-one else could do a better job, or is it based on an unquestioned belief that the party you support are the best (or else you wouldnt support them!), ergo no-one can do better?

jc

name a party that could? Labour? yea right, shower of rich land owners who are full of themselfs. FG, hell they don't know what they are. Really i've only a choice between FF and sinn fein, and thats only because the local sinn fein guys talks less about the north and more about the north inner city. Btw its him or bertie i can choose between

No I am not in a political party, but I do exercise my right to vote in the so-called anonymity/privacy of the polling booth.

Yet, in my home area I would say the vast majority of our citizens who have any interest in politics or local affairs. Could tell you in an instant who I voted for in the lact local and general elections, and I would hazard a guess that most constituencies throughout the Republic of Ireland have the same level of supposedly legally protected privacy.

What a farce!, is it any wonder that the numbers of people turning out to exercise their democratic right to vote has been dropping drastically.

Is this fact the reason why this current government are so keen too introduce electronic voting asap?.. so that people will not even have get up off their favourite armchairs to vote?..

Paddy20:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon
    Absolutely. They are an utterly incompetent shower of chancers without vison, principle or intelligence who have no business running a country. Here's the problem: the opposition are worse.
    I would tend to agree with Biffa, although not as emotively as him. I realised many years ago, though experience, that in Ireland it is far easier to own a politician than be one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Not a party member. I don't trust the whole idea of political parties. People in large groups with the power to run a country can never be trusted. I try to vote for independants if they seem to have an idea of what they're about. Being able to tell you the normal price of a carton of milk straight off is always a good sign, which I didnt see any member of a political party doing last elections...

• Advertisement

would anyone else care to do a poll,i dont know how im afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Labour

I joined when Pay Rabbitte took over. I must say the arguement about who teh real opposition is was won cleanly by Labour. I can see both Labout and the PDs making clear gians in the next elections at the expense of FG...

Roll on the Tri-Party State(PD,FF,LABOUR)

but surely labour and the pds would be considered ideological enemies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine
    Labour

I joined when Pay Rabbitte took over. I must say the arguement about who teh real opposition is was won cleanly by Labour. I can see both Labout and the PDs making clear gians in the next elections at the expense of FG...

Roll on the Tri-Party State(PD,FF,LABOUR)

Yip FG are in trouble alright. They need a heavyweight to lead them ASAP otherwise they could be finished for good.

A FF/Lab/PD government? Gawd I hope not, I'd prefer to see FF in opposition for a short while. Then to come back and lead a government for 8 more years.

I'm a member of FF and proud of it. And being a member of any political party is very important. And I have great respect for anybody takes part in any political party (except for those extremists and religious fundamentalists).
    To change things it is far easier to do this from within a political party than from the outside.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by invincibleirish
    would anyone else care to do a poll,i dont know how im afraid
    Done (my first poll successfully completed - woo hoo)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106846

Advertisement