Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone tried a USB - IDE adapter Before

• 14-07-2003 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

Quick question: I was wondering if anyone has tried these thing's before,they kinda sound too good to be true.it's supposed to let you connect any IDE device CD/Hdd/Zip to the pc via USB2.0 Great idea but how could usb power a Hdd ?- cd drive ok but a hdd ?

O yeah the reason i bring this up is that maplin are selling them for E 50 on special offer atm.

CombatCow

Forgot the link : http://www.usb-ware.com/usb-2-ide-adapter-ud200.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

looks cool, probably works the exact same as a disk caddy thing. Put your hard disk in and a presto portable hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I have a USB2.0 hard drive enclosure and its really good.

I got mine in peats and the only flaw I found was that the HD can get quite hot inside the enclosure and it tends to get stuck to the plastic, but for the device you have listed there it shouldn't be a problem.

The speed of the drive is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I have a USB2/Firewire one. The USB on it is very good, but the Firewire is a nightmare - is very rarely detected by windows, even though people say Firewire is better than USB2 (apparently the burst transfer rate is lower, but all things taken into account data is transferred quicker).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Great idea but how could usb power a Hdd ?- cd drive ok but a hdd ?

It doesn't, you use an external power source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

O right it must have a molex connector connected to an ac adapter,thx lads,i'll pick one up tomorrow and tell ya wot it's like.:)

CombatCow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Got a 2.5" USB 1.1 adaptor - very slow - but you can plug it into any 2K or XP pc and unless the PC is well hardened you have a new drive letter in a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Crumble

The USB2.0 to IDE device really does work... however one important point.

I have had a couple of returns on this item due to the drive not being recognised... simple solution ..... make sure the connected drive is set to master as on slave it wont work.

Oh and yes it comes with a AC to DC power supply as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Cheers Crumble,iv decided to hold off buying it cause im off to america on friday and i'll prolly pick one up cheaper over there.:D

CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I just won a USB 2.0 to 2.5" ide case (laptop size) on ebay ..
    I havent received it yet but it only cost 23 odd euros .. (won it for $10, p&p was $12.5 and insurance was $3) ... made by IBM so it should be reliable ..

Advertisement