Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC

• 14-07-2003 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Just looking for opinions on this PC, if possible. Also, I'm not that technically literate, so please dont flame me for it :P

Anywho, my PC is on its last legs, in so far as fulfilling the functions I desire of it. It chugs away at all but MP3 but thats about the extent of it.

This was a rig I was considering, sort of.

2.8GHz Intel PIV with 800Mhz Core
    4DIMM Sockets in 2 Banks with two 256 PC-3200 400Mhz DDR DIMM RAM
    Intel D865GBFL Desktop Motherboard with SATA support
    Intefrated Inter Etherexpress Pro 100 VE LAN Adapter
    Integrated Audio using Analogue Devices SoundMal 4 Xl
    Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 Display Adapter
    Universal .8/1.5V AGP 3.0 connector supporting 1x, 4x, and 8x AGP cards or a GP Digital Display (ADD) Card
    Keytronic KT2001 PS2 Keyboard
    Microsoft PS2 Optical Wheel Mouse
    Mitsumi 3 1/2" Floppy Disk Drive
    Schaefer Midi Tower ATX Chassis
    Fortron Source 300W 12V Power Supply
    6 PCI Slots
    6 USB 2.0 Ports
    2 3 1/2" Bays External
    Norton Antivirus 2003
    Windows XP/Linux
    120Gb Hard Drive
    NEC DVD RW/CD-RW Drive

This totals roughly 1,300 euro IIRC.

I plan on picking up a GFX card when the next generation appear (and this gen become cheaper). I currently have a decent monitor.

Any opinions, or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Seems reasonable, although if you're into creating your own music etc, you might want a sound card. You could pick up a Ti4200 gfx card for E120 to use in the interim, it's generally regarded as the card that gives good bang for buck. Also I'd throw an 512 MB's of RAM in there while you're at it, the stuff is going fairly cheap these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

He ( <-- I'm presuming here) does have 512MBs of RAM Raskolnikov.
    4DIMM Sockets in 2 Banks with two 256 PC-3200 400Mhz DDR DIMM RAM
    Unless you maen to get an extra 512MB.

Looks like a good PC. plenty of power. I've never heard of Fortron or Schaefer. As a matter of interest where did you source the PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

As you said you aint computer literate but if you ever become it and want to overclock you should steer clear of Intel motherboards. If you dont plan to ever give it a go tho then that machine looks fairly nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 toughbuk

I have an AMD 1700 +, would it cause any harm if i started to overclock it by a small bit,plus where is the best place in dublin to buy cheap ram( 256 kb).I know peats are having a closing down sale as thery are moving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

IT Direct has cheepish ram prices.

Where are Peats moving to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

toughbuk, better off ordering from komplett, they deliver in 2 or 3 days. No, it won't cause any harm to the chip, unless your chip is almost overheating at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Peats moved right accross the road from what I heard on the radio commercial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Raz

Unless you maen to get an extra 512MB.

Opps, I meant that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

I reason I'll pick up more RAM when it comes down in price by about half. That's what I did last time around with my PC, though that is not today or yesterday.

I've got a reasonable soundcard as is, so I was just going to stick with it.

As for where I am getting it from, its sourced through work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

hehe unfortunately ram prices tend not to go down a lot with age. I think you would e best off getting 2 512 sticks, it'll work out cheaper in the long run. Where are you getting you parts?

• Advertisement
Advertisement