Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Utv savings

Options
  • 15-07-2003 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

I know everyone knows about the savings to be made now especially with 'quasi' flatrate and about the savings with utv specifically but I just have to say I am still amazed at what we're saving (3 other family members all regular internet users on this PC/connection).

We've been watching our usage very closely since july 1st and are well on track to keeping under the 180 hours with little or no change to our regular internet usage patterns. So it looks like We'll only be paying the €24 sub at the end of this month with no other charges for going over the hours limit or usage during peak hours.

So this time last year we were averaging €210/month (€420 bi-monthly excluding line rental) with eircom. With the launch of UTVip off peak last Autumn our monthly bill excluding line rental was cut to between €60-€100 (usually 20-30hrs over limit and 20hrs+ peak usage/month) a saving that varied from approx. 50-75%/month!! Now our monthly bills look like being cut to €24/month or very close to it.

With Eircom - 1 year @ €210/month = €2520
    With UTV - 1 year @ €24/month = €288

Thats a bill reduction by almost a factor of 10!!

And some of us still wonder why Eircom were/are so slow to roll out Flatrate and Broadband!!

The mind boggles!:D :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yeah, don't you just want to hug utv:)
    the eircom bill was roughly €100 when i was at college, i'd say its doubled at least since i've been back.
    utvip-xl arrived just in time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Next time you get one of these new phonecall resellers asking if you would like to sign up with them do what i did today.Wait until the fella or woman on the other end does all there speil (about 5 mins worth) about how much cheaper calls are with them compared to eircom,Then point out that you use the net alot and you are with UTV and only pay €25 a month for 180 hours day or night and then ask them if it still works out cheaper to go with them.The fella i got today went quite for awhile and came back with yea your right we cant touch that :D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I normally just say "yeah" a couple of times to convince them I'm listening and then put the phone down off the hook and make a nice cup of tea. Speakerphones are best though, you can do both at the same time, and ask a few questions to draw the call out a little longer. Ever second cuts into their bottom line...

Anyone else think the Seinfeld telemarketing answers are the best? The best Jerry, the best.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

I got that with an Esat rep at the door last week. I showed him one of my bills with UTV and gave him the web address of UTV's tariff page and told him to let me know if Esat can do any better for me, if so I'd move.

He rang the next day and told me to stay with UTV...

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Eircom never call me anymore... *sob* I wonder why! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Or you could make your life very simple by saying that you don't make that many calls. I think they usually look for about €80 on a bi-monthly bill, so I say the bill is usually about €60. Which is incidently not far from the truth either, but it saves me the speaker phone tea making hassle.

Incidently, EsatBT's voice rates are very competitive particularly on international calls. Much better than UTVip's the last time I checked. Their "flat rate" internet access is more expensive, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pre UTVip about €50 on internet access every month, now €25 a month anytime of day or night. Nice! :)

Now just to get rid of the damned eircom line rental! :mad:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well when they come to me saying "how can we get you to come back to Eircom" I tell them "refund me for at least 2 years overcharging". They go away fairly quickly after that.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by Calibos

"A satisfied customer! We should have him stuffed!":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

yah i have UTV XL and i find it amazing. Theres no way i'm gonna go over the 180 hrs so no probs. One thing though a couple of times i have connected and i couldnt surf or receive mail so i had to d/c and connect again a couple of times bfore it started working. Theres another difference too though. Theres about 100 ping difference between Eircom and UTV. Eircoms pings would be about 90 while UTV would be upto 180. But a small price to pay for such a huge difference in price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Originally posted by Xian
    Originally posted by Calibos

"A satisfied customer! We should have him stuffed!":)

or

I don't believe it Polly..........for once in my life........I'm ahead

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,454 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by gandalf
    Well when they come to me saying "how can we get you to come back to Eircom" I tell them "refund me for at least 2 years overcharging". They go away fairly quickly after that.

Gandalf.

LOL - must remember that one gandalf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

tell them your busy right now and ask them for their home phone number. Say you'll ring them back on Sunday :)

Think its a Seinfeld one :)

Advertisement