Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Selling Game - Ever

Options
  • 15-07-2003 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

Tried to google this bad boy but couldnt find it..

What are the best selling games of all time? I know The Sims is massive but I am hoping its not number 1.... Please tell me so!!

Luke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

i'm pretty certain that it's super mario brothers 3 on the nes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Didn't Myst claim that title at some point? God knows why, really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

CM series has sold consistantly more than almost another game ever. However, GT VC I believe holds the biggest grossing title ever last I heard. Not sure about the most units shifted tho still might be Tetris (which when you think about it it probably is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

the sims holds the #1 slot on the PC.

Originally posted by fisty
    the sims holds the #1 slot on the PC.

You sure. You see half the thing here is that fact that probably takes in all the add-on as well ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

tbh, i recall reading something about the final fantasy series doing that? maybe it was the longest running series

10 games ya know.... 7 being the best story of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Eh, Legend of Zelda 4 perhaps...

Tetris maybe

Originally posted by neuromancer
    Eh, Legend of Zelda 4 perhaps...

Deffinity not loads more games have shifted alot more.

As for you fisty reading that artical they are counting all the addon and that crap as part of their sales which are kinda different games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm almost sure it's The Sims. Mario 3 was the best selling console game but i think GTA VC has over taken it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

It's definitely the sims

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Never would've thought it for some reason.

Then again, basically everyone I know with a PC has it...

Something like Mario 3 probably deserves the title though. What a game that was. Anyone else totally sick of the Sims? After a while you realise there isn't a purpose or defined goal really... well, IMO anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

Originally posted by NoelRock
    Anyone else totally sick of the Sims? After a while you realise there isn't a purpose or defined goal really... well, IMO anyway.

YES! ME! its a stupid, stupid game!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

i allways thought it was mario 3 but then again vice city could deffinally have passed it out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No one seems to be able to provide some figures :(

Surly Tetris has shifted more world wide than Mario 3?

Also as for the Sims Ill say it again. I thinnk if you read that report they arent saying its sold the most as in "The Sims" They are saying it has sold the most as in "The Sims", "The Sims Beach Party", "The Sims Baby Shower", "The Sims play the Sims" etc.

This mean its not the best selling but the best selling series. Also, I dont know anyone thats bought that heap of poo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For tetris I don't think people are counting the sales from every single tetris game made but taking them singly.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

It has to be the mario series. The sims has done well the last few years but hasn't been out half as long as mario and he is still going strong. So i'd say super mario bros for snes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ok.. The greatest single game ever, not the greatest series of games. A single game and its add ons are considered one game.

Thats been my point all alone :mad:

Im trying to say that The Sims best selling thing is the Series.

Also when I said Tetris I meant the GB version. Almost every single last person in the world has had a rattle at it old and young alike. I know loads of parent and Gparents that bought a gameboy and Tetris and notthing else and never ever played games before that.

• Advertisement

I don't think tetris would count since it came free with the GB so wouldn't count as sales. I think I was the only person who didn't have tetris with the GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDS

Best-Selling Video Games

The Nintendo game Super Mario Brothers has sold a total of 40.23 million copies worldwide. The 26 games featuring Mario, the character who first appeared in the arcade game Donkey Kong in 1982, have sold more than 152 million copies in total since 1983. More than 40% of US households own a Nintendo game system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

tbh, that is a series of 26 games...

Well it is the Best-Selling Video Game"s" section

They dont have a section for a single game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by l3rian

The Nintendo game Super Mario Brothers has sold a total of 40.23 million copies worldwide.
    That's the fastest selling single game, the original SMB. My Guiness Book of Records is the millenium ed tho, is that still the entry for last year's edition?

They haven't updated that entry in the 2002 edition.

I got the above from here: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/index.asp?id=52404

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

Snake on the Nokia, if that counts. Kinda comes all in one, with a free phone to boot.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Actually, even Snake hasn't outsold most of the best selling games. Nokia were pushing Snake as evidence of their gaming background (:rolleyes:) when they launched the N-Gage, and even then they were stating the figures for it at around 10 to 15 million.

Super Mario Bros on the NES sold 40 million units or so; Tetris on the GameBoy sold 33 million units. Super Mario Bros 3 (also NES) sold 18 million units.

Actually, Mario does rather well overall. Super Mario World on the SNES sold 17 million units, Super Mario Land on the GameBoy sold 14 million units, and Super Mario 64 sold 11 million units.

The entire top six best selling games of all time is made up of Nintendo titles, and five of them are Mario titles.

The Sims on PC comes in at number seven, with 10 million copies sold. Then there's another Mario game at number eight (Mario bros 2 on the NES, 10 million copies), then GTA Vice City on PS2, with 8.5 million units, and at number ten, Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone on the PSone, with 8 million units.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

So in total that's 100 million various Marios, which is a lot more than the population of Italy* Wow.

Oh and Retrogamer, I also purchased a gameboy sans Tetris. In fact I couldn't find Tetris to buy it. But I had Links Awakening so I didn't care.

*FACT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 corc

i hate to spoil the party but im 99% sure thet donkey kong country in the SNES holds the record for the most titles sold for any one game. I dont have any exact figures but im sure if you do a search in google you will find them.

Advertisement