Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Selling Game - Ever

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sorry but I'm 99% sure that you are wrong and that Donkey Kong Country doesn't come close to the best selling game. I think Shinji is correct with Mario 3 being the best selling game ever. It is stated in EGM as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Shinji said that the original Super Mario Brothers holds the record, which it does, not Mario 3.
    So in total that's 100 million various Marios
    Over 152 million for all 26 Mario featured games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shinji has spoken there for it must be.

Should have read his post a bit more carefully. I wonder if those figures included games that you got boxed with the console?

It's such a huge number that I'd imagine they're including everything, probably the arcarde machines too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I was reading the 25 greatest moments on *whispers* gamespy (crouches in the corner wondering if thats a bad thing).
    They have one moment dedicated to MYST (And what a great game I might add :)) Anyway, in the article they claimed MYST was the best selling game before the Sims came along.
    It does make sense, it was one of the first games released on a CD, it appealed to those who didn't like games with lots of gore where you died all the time and it was just a bloody great game. :)
    They could be right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 corc

I will retract my previous statement. It seems that I was kind of right as DKC was the quickest selling game of all time (don’t ask me how this is measured) as opposed to the game that sold the most units.

FYI the original super Mario bros holds the record at 40 million with Tetris on the GB @ 33 million coming in second.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Thanks for that corc.

Originally posted by Raz
    I was reading the 25 greatest moments on *whispers* gamespy (crouches in the corner wondering if thats a bad thing).
    They have one moment dedicated to MYST (And what a great game I might add :)) Anyway, in the article they claimed MYST was the best selling game before the Sims came along.
    It does make sense, it was one of the first games released on a CD, it appealed to those who didn't like games with lots of gore where you died all the time and it was just a bloody great game. :)
    They could be right.
    Myst was the fastest selling PC game alright, 500,000 copies sold in the first year (doesn't seem hugely impressive by today's standards :)) and 4 million in total. Riven then went and sold 1 million in it's first 6 months. I'm sure Sims prolly beat that tho, but don't have figures.

I just didn't get Myst. In fact I loathed Myst. It was like looking through a collection of boring postcards and holiday photos. I was Fairly young when I palyed it and was still on an adrenaline high from Gunstar Heroes when I first played it so that might have had something to do with it. Compared to console games Myst was no where near the amount of sales. I think that if you count pirated copies Doom and HL would probably well into the top 10. Doom is probably the most pirated game ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Wolf
    "The Sims play the Sims"
    Don't ever suggest that again. They just might go and do it. Satire may have died the day Kissenger won the Nobel Peace Prize but irony died when the beeb made a crap fly-on-the-wall documentary about people who make crap fly-on-the-wall-documentaries*. I'm telling you - they'll do it.

(*or when the director of An Alan Smithee movie decided he didn't want his name on the movie. Bleedin heck, that was a dreadful movie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Yeah "Myst" spent nine years as the best-selling computer game but then "The Sims" took over. I can't say I really enjoyed the game myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Doom is probably the most pirated game ever.

Yeah Doom is basically free :D

I dont think for a second Donky Kong Country was the best of all thats just not even sensiable.

Advertisement