Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Banks / Accounts

Options
  • 15-07-2003 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Are these the banks which most use for business accounts?

AIB
    Bank of Ireland
    National Irish Bank
    Permanent tsb
    Ulster Bank

I remember someone recently mentioning -Bank of Scotland- , yet I can't seem to find them listed in GoldenPages. Are they under some other name?

There are also other banks listed in GoldenPages, some of which I haven't even heard of:-

Scotiabank (Irl) Ltd
    Rheinhyp Europe plc
    Rabobank Ireland Plc
    Premier Direct
    Pfizer International Bank Europe
    WestLB Ireland Plc
    Metzler Ireland Ltd
    Bank of America NA
    Anglo Irish Bank
    ACCBank

Does anyone know if these banks offer business accounts. If any do, does anyone recommend any of these banks in the second group?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

the second group are mostly industrial banks/ investment banks/ merchant banks etc., they wouldn't have any standard current accounts business.

Which bank you use really depends on the nature of your business, how well funded you are, and what facilities you will require from the bank during the course of your business. Bank of Scotland Ireland are supposed to be quite agressive in pursuing business accounts, I have to admit I haven't used them myself, but that's more through inertia than a deliberate decision. Their website might be of use to you: http://www.bankofscotland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bank of Scotland - There is also Royal Bank of Scotland
    Scotiabank (Irl) Ltd - longterm resident, but I'm not aware of a high-street functions.

Rabobank Ireland Plc - ACCBank's new parent

ACCBank - originally orintated towards farming, but has some merchant banking, mortgage and high-street functions.

Premier Direct - finance house

Anglo Irish Bank - merchant banking, mortgage, few high-street functions.

Pfizer International Bank Europe - Pfizer semi-internal finance arm

These are probably IFSC banks with no public presence:
    Rheinhyp Europe plc
    WestLB Ireland Plc
    Metzler Ireland Ltd
    Bank of America NA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pod

Does anyone know if any of these banks have a minimum opening balance?

AIB Bank
    Bank of Ireland
    National Irish Bank
    Permanent tsb
    Ulster Bank

Although the Bank of Scotland fees appear to be competitive, they seem to require a minimum opening balance of €50,000 according to this link...

http://www.bankofscotland.ie/companyinfo/press14.htm

Anyone know if there are any other banks in Ireland which offer a business cheque account; or are these the main six?

Likely nil with all of them. They may want to see money entering the account before giving you a chequebook.

Thanks for this Victor.

I'm going to phone Bank of Scotland tomorrow anyhow; though do you happen to know if they offer another business cheque account which does not require €50,000 to open an account?

Or is that the only business cheque account they offer?

• Advertisement

I had a business current account with Bank of Ireland that I opened with a nil balance (but 10 years with bank). Once I was lodging money they had no problem giving me a "big" (in area) cheque book. Note stamp duty and transaction charges on cheques.

I rang a few banks recently and they all told me they charge €0.19 or €0.20 for each cheque which I lodge.

Though the Bank of Ireland told me they charge €0.37 for each cheque which I lodge.

I'm going to ring another BOI branch just to see if this is correct. Charging twice what all the other are charging...

There is also a quarterly charging option for about €12 for the first 90 transactions.

Oh right, didn't know about that. I'll ask about that when I'm phoning.

Thanks again.

Advertisement