Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

office 2000 loop :(

Options
  • 15-07-2003 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭

righto,

I've got a machine here with office 2000 premium (not fully installed). I double click on word, and it starts a setup program, then says it needs the cd to continue with setup, but there's no sign of a cd around here ?? Its the same problem with outlook and excel.

I have my own office 2000 cd, so I decided to install my own, but it wont let me install until i uninstall the original office 2000, but I cannot uninstall without the original cd :(

anybody know how to manually go in and delete/modify the registry entries ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is a big M$ annoyance.
    Trick is to do a custom install (administrator) - select everything to run from HDD and in outlook untick the symantic fax.

This is a BIG annoyance
    Unfortunately there are many versions of office 2000 - SBE - STD -PRO - PREMIUM - and each of the apps can come on a CD too (WORD - EXCEL - ACESS etc.) and each CD can be the original or the SR1 (SR2?) version - and each install will reject CD's from the others.
    Another annoyance is the default install will setup lots of things as "install on first use"

It's all a primitive form of copy-protection - not very effective more of an annoyance - never figured a work around - just stuck in the relvant CD and did a full install...

You could try XP but then you'd have to register it to the Machine.

Back to the original question - Warez the CD ?

www.openoffice.org - (has problems printing from Excel - use the M$ excel viewer for printing)

[EDIT] http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&postid=1005797 - Looks like Excel printing works now :) [/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    - Warez the CD ?

rofl, I'm in a solicitors office :D no chance of warez

I've installed office 97, and its working so I'm going to leave it at that, thanks for the help ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Now all you have to do is make sure all the other copies of Word 2000/Xp are set to "Disable features not supported by word 97" in the options for save :)

If Outlook 97 worked there would be very little need for office 2K (and less for XP)

Anyone know if the free upgrade from Outlook 97 to Outlook 98 is still free ??

Advertisement