Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keyboard and PC Setup

• 15-07-2003 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

I want to hook my keyboard up to my PC, I have all the proper cabling etc but I need software.

Can anyone recommend any free software that would enable me to play and record through my PC and see notation?

Something basic would do for now, I don't need anything adavnced like Cubase.

/Kone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Try wavelab.
    It's simple enough, and very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Saw a documentry about this lately,a composer showing how..if you played through a pc and the computer transcribes it for you..it cant every be technically correct..the computer over-compensates,learn how to read and write music,its a wonderful thing to do,and will give you a serious upper hand.

That being said..I cant read or write music whatsoever,but a keyboard through a pc is the wrong learning tool,if thats what your aiming to do. Half the time I dont know what chords or scales im playing in..the bass player is trained for that kinda stuff so he points it out to me..I go on feel and sound..I suppose its a somewhat natural ability,but I once saw an interview with BB King sayin he had never learned how to read or write music, and once he did it was a whole new demension of music opening up to him *shrug*

Its well worth any musicains time to be familiar with how chords and scales etc are actully formed,to figure out 10ths,7th's,9th's,etc..Im partially dyslexic so I figure out things by shapes more so than notes..sound also,and will sit down at a piano with my guitar and work out stuff..

A serious verge off the topic..but hopefully intresting non the less

All the best

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I dont think it has notation abilities but Computer Music Magazine give away a pretty competent starter sequencer called Muzys on their CD (Along with a good collection of free samples and synths, then you can head to www.kvr-vst.com and download the many excellent instruments that are linked (again many are free, Crystal and Triangle2 probably being the best for no cash). ITs a good way to get your feet wet without lsoing any money in the process. After that I recommend Cakewalk Sonar as it will do everything you want.
    I'd agree being able to read music notation would be handy but these days having sequencer and the associated instrument/fx/mastering skills is of much more benefit (since you can't exactly learn all things at once)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Originally posted by Kone
    I want to hook my keyboard up to my PC, I have all the proper cabling etc but I need software.

Can anyone recommend any free software that would enable me to play and record through my PC and see notation?

Something basic would do for now, I don't need anything adavnced like Cubase.

/Kone
    All you need is a sequencer software, the most popular are Cubase and Cakewalk (my favourite), you should be able to get a shareware at www.download.com

There's also a website where you can order it for $20 on CDr but it's basically illegal :ninja:

Wavelab wouldn't do for you because, despite being actually good and simple, it records the *sound* and you need to record MIDI events.

However, MIDI is real cool becoz you can play/record on many separate tracks and basically compose/arrange full songs. I did this for quiet a long while, if you have any questions I'll be glad to help

Have fun! :)

Alex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Thanks Guys,

Wavelab will do for a while until I get the hang of the MIDI side of things..

If anyone has any other suggestions just let me know?

/Kone

• Advertisement
Advertisement