Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest Way to update websites.

Options
  • 15-07-2003 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

I am working with a company that is thinking about designing a website. One of tenders is suggesting a feature that would allow somebody to update details of monthly meetings using adobe.

Could blogger be used for this?? Is there any alternative that somebody could update pretty easily without knowing much about computers?

The quote is charging 750+vat to have a feature to update it thru abode.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This really depends on what you mean by "monthly meetings" and who's going to be viewing them. If you mean minutes of meetings that are only going to be viewed by a small number of people (perhaps in an authenticated area of the site), then I don't see a major problem with it. If it's something more generic that's going to be pushed out to all and sundry though, it strikes me as an odd approach.

On top of that there are technology consideration: What exactly are they proposing? If they propose using Adobe Acrobat for the solution, is the cost of this built into the quotation (Acrobat's expensive, I'd be surprised if it was). How will the documents be published? Et cetera. We'd really need to know this - perhaps someone here can supply the details - before we can offer a reliable opinion.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

They wish to update the website every month with the minutes of meetings. They will be available to everybody. They might also want to update the site with Agendas before meetings. Would blogger be the best bet?

Yeah, Blogger is probably the best bet for a non-technical operator. I'd say let them try it out for a couple months, see how they get on, they can always move to something like Macromedia Contribute or straight FTP later.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You could also try PostNuke...

<dahamsta vomits>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

<blacknight gets a mop>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I guess postnuke would be too packed of mods for this simple task - btw i feel like vomiting also :p am how bout try a simple PHP script? www.hotscripts.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Could'nt someone train a person on how to adjust simple pages for less than 750.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Could'nt someone train a person on how to adjust simple pages for less than 750.

Its always better to make life for the customer as easiest as possible - I would never put them through a training course + they could mess things up in the future where as if you got a fixed script that filters tags and stuff out then you can't go far wrong ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

You could always try Fusion News, they're easy to install (CHMODing is the hardest. which is simple:) )
    Its a great script and they offer great support, and best of all, its free.

Advertisement