Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming a PAYE refund

Options
  • 15-07-2003 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here ever claimed a PAYE refund? You're entitled to claim this if you become unemployed.
    I'm thinking of claiming it back, I know once you do this you lose all your tax credits for the rest of the tax year, but does anyone know if this applies in the UK, as they have a double taxation agreement, would I lose my tax free allowance in my new job in the UK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If, for tax / work purposes you have left the country, then you are unlikely to be able to avail of this (it is usually used for say, people returning to college, longterm illness and the like, when you are unlikely to work for the rest of the tax year).

I imagine what will happen is at the end of the year, you need to make a tax return (Form 11?) in one or other country (there are rules) and you will ultimately be assessed under one or the other system (again, there are rules).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Victor
    If, for tax / work purposes you have left the country, then you are unlikely to be able to avail of this (it is usually used for say, people returning to college, longterm illness and the like, when you are unlikely to work for the rest of the tax year).

From what i've read, its for people who are leaving the country (and I haven't left yet), and people who are just 'unemployed', there was nothing on the literature I've read to suggest it's just for those who are ill, in fact there's an option to tick if you're claiming the tax back because you're leaving the country.

I'd be interested to hear from people who've actually claimed this tax back.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Me too.

Does this apply to someone leaving the country in the middle of the tax year only or any time.

etho_ what literature are you talking about and how would I get some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

AFAIK, if you are Irish Resident and Ordinary Resident [takes 3 years to lose], you are taxable in Ireland on your worldwide income!!

Therefore, you'll have to file an Income Tax Return in Ireland, declaring both your income in Ireland and, as in your case, the UK.

As there is a double taxation treaty with the UK, any tax paid in the UK is treated as if paid in Ireland.

And other EU countries also?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by PhatFiesta
    AFAIK, if you are Irish Resident and Ordinary Resident [takes 3 years to lose], you are taxable in Ireland on your worldwide income!!

What you're saying is i'll be taxed by the Irish government on my earnings in Britain. .. That is complete bull! We're talking about taxation on a salary. What you said is true when, for example, talking about an Irish resident selling a property abroad. Then, iirc, tax is payable to the irish revenue.

Gordon - You can claim at any time, but I *think* you have to have been unemployed for 4 weeks before you can claim. Info here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/faqs/employe2.htm

Thanks for the link. A quick skim of it shows that you need to be out of work for indeed 4 weeks.

/edit. d'oh.

Originally posted by Gordon
    Thanks for the link. A quick skim of it shows that you need to be out of work for indeed 4 months.

WEEKS! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/moving_abroad/

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/employment/working_abroad/working_in_the_EU.html
    Taxes
    By working in another member state and by transferring your residence there, you will become "resident for tax purposes" there. The definition of fiscal residence varies from one member state to another. You must comply with the laws of the country where you have established your residence.

If you are fiscally resident in a country, you must declare all your income ("worldwide" income). You may also be subject to other taxes such as wealth tax or inheritance tax.

Tax agreements have been concluded between the member states of the EU, which are intended to avoid double taxation, if you derive income from different countries.

In general, national fiscal rules must respect the fundamental principle of non-discrimination against nationals of another EU country.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Gordon
    And other EU countries also?
    I imagine all EU & EEA countries (Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, etc.) as well as the USA have Double Taxation Agreements with Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

What you're saying is i'll be taxed by the Irish government on my earnings in Britain. .. That is complete bull!

I've just had a quick look through my Tax Book and it states that the rules regarding the types of income that are subject to Irish Income Tax are:

i) Individuals who are domiciled, resident and ordinarily resident [which takes 3 years to lose after leaving the country] in Ireland are taxed on their world wide income;

ii) Individuals who are domiciled and resident in Ireland, but are not ordinarily resident [i.e. left the country for more than 3 years] are taxed on their Irish & UK Income and Remmitances;

iii) Individuals who are domiciled or not domiciled and are neither Irish Resident nor Ordinarily Irish Resident are taxed on Irish Source Income.

Advertisement