Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Intelligent Coupé Discussion

Options
  • 15-07-2003 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, that last thread turned into a farce but I do feel as if some people did have some valid points to make. Please feel free to continue the discussion in this thread if people feel they have quality points to make.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Peugeot 406 €40,000+
    Alfa Spyder €45000+
    BMW 318CI AUTO 2 DOOR COUPE €45,300
    FORD StreetKa - No Auto Option
    HONDA S2000 €59,000
    JAG X-TYPE €40,000
    AUDI TT €49,000
    MERC 180 Auto €39,000
    TOYOTA celica €44,000
    VOLVO S40 T4 €45,482.00
    HYUNDAI 2.0 FX €28,325

Any other suggestions under 30k???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I'm sorry, but the Hyundai Coupe is not an alternative to an S2000, an Audi TT, an Alfa GTV or anything else in your list except possibly the StreetKa, which has had woeful reviews and maybe the Celica - if you were to use the V6 coupe as a comparison.

The S2000 does 0-60 in 5-5 seconds and will top out at 150mph... it will literally be doing 120mph as the Hyundai reaches 60. Its like comparing an S2000 to a Lamborghini... and then saying how much cheaper the S2000 is.

The thread started out as cars that are viable alternatives and under 30K- I don't recall them having to be a coupe

Alfa 156 / 147 - both stylish cars, build quality issues seem to be resolved.
    VW Golf TDi
    SKODA Octavia 1.8 TURBO RS
    Mazda 6 with Sports Pack
    Opel Astra Coupe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I agree with KDevitt. The Hyundai Coupe is not supposed to be a market contender with most of the cars mentioned in the first post. It would be more of a contender in the Celica / Prelude class. Personally, I though the first (modern coupe) was decent, but overdone, the facelift was brutal and the new one is very very nice, sort of a mucsle car look to it from the side at least, I wouldn't be ashamed of driving one. It is aimed more for the male market than the previous incarnations, that much is obvious. One of the lads I work with is buying one and I have sat in one (all leather). Decent Auto. Decent reviews, nothing wrong with it at all.

Of course on this board when you ask for an opinion e.g. I am looking to pay 1000 Euro on a car and I was thinking of a 94 Mondeo, you will ALWAYS get the, no ! Buy an M3, they're only a trillion squid and they are better ! brigade, so pay no heed.

Of course if you could live with the pleasant but boring exterior, you could get an insane 200BHP volvo S40 T4 (tested by what car to go 0-60 in 6.7, topping out around 145mph) like me and leave them all at the lights ! Not too expensive either.

Hmm Volvo's we like...weirdly enough...except add all the standard features that appear on the Hyundai* to the base price of admittedly close-ish to 30k and we get €45,482.00:eek:

But I'll add that to the list

*leather seats, aircon, cruise control, automatic

Maybe I should find a Dodge Dealer :rolleyes: and ask about importing a Dodge SRT-4.

0-60 in under 6sec and a shade less than 150mph.

....Starts at $20k in the US. Sigh...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

I'll stay out of this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mickey_t

I think realistically if you want a 03 coupe, for that money you're limited to the Hyundai. If you like the car, then no problem go for it. If you'd consider going for a '01 or '02 car you should be able to pick up a Celica or a 406 for €30k. Actually theres a '00 Honda S2000 in the buy and sell for €34k.

Advertisement