Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question: Xbox modems/routers

• 15-07-2003 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

I have asked this before and didn't understand the answer, so maybe you gusy could help me out again.

What do I need to connect to Xbox live? Im on the active broadband line now (though stilla waiting the modem), and from what I gather I just need an ADSL router, that connects to the xbox and connects to the telephone line?

Is that all I need? I priced a routher today in Ennis, €285, it's pritty steep just for a router, any other places that are close to Ennis and that would offer it cheaper or on the net?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

Exiot, don't buy any old router or modem. There is a list of recommended modems, routers and modem/routers posted by MS here. There is also a list of non-compatable devices, so be sure to buy a compatable one.

I bought an Thomson/Alcatel modem/router for just over 150 yoyo's from an excellent site in the UK. Have a look for yourself, they are called DSL-Warehouse and they are very good value, even taking into account the exchange rate. I got my modem/router 2 days after ordering it. Use this online currency calculator to check the price in Euros.

You'll also need an Xbox Live kit. Try Gameplay as they are reliable and in the Uk and therefore are region compatable.

One more thing you'll need is Xbox Live games. Excellent Xbox Live titles are:
    Midtown Madness 3
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Moto GP 2
    Unreal Championship

Once you have all that, you'll be sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Excellent, thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

is your adsl modem ethernet or usb? i take it to be ethernet,

285 yo-yos omfg thats dear, i got a linksys 54g wireless router for 200 + a wet 11 wireless ethernet bridge for 160 = 360 yo-yo's total from peats ,

some people on boards have gotten a d-link router for around 170 yo-yo's ( i think ) .

i could have gotten the linksys stuff a bit cheaper from the uk but i don't have a cc, 285 is too dear for just a router ( just my opion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Well its the modem from IOL, I still haven't recieved it but I heard on these boards that it's USB.

The routher thats costs €285 is ethernet, and yes very expenisve. Pitty the xbox doesn't have a usb connection, the adsl usb routers are alot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You only need a router if you want to play your xbox when you're pc is turned off. If you wanted you could just get a €10 network card for your pc (if you don't already have one) and some cable to connect it to your xbox. When your pc is connected to the internet with your USB modem, so will your xbox. Money saved on router will pay for the starter kit and and a new game or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

If I bought a Router.. do I need a Network card as well for one of those?? And if so how do I connect them all together.. Xbox and Pc and connection??

Try a xbox and pc and dsl guide for dummies on me pls.. cus im really lost here..

Regards,

-Coz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bobmalooga

The xbox does actually use usb, the controllers are a non standard usb connector; you can buy usb adaptors for them on the net from http://www.megaxkey.com/

I know this isn't strictly on topic but it's nice to know...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭M03

Here is a guide which is on the Netgear web site.

I know it's all their products but the basic layout and connections would be the same for D-Link or Linksys or whatever.

XBox Gaming with Netgear

M03

Still lost those diagrames are a bit vague

Im wondering what type of (cheapest) modem will do the trick for both my pc and and x box, must I have a network card on my pc in order to use a router thingy, or will the usb modem from IOL be able to connect to my xbox and pc???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You have 3 options with connecting an xbox:

1. Direct connection. You get an ethernet modem. It will plug directly into your xbox or into a pc network card.You'd only be able to use one online at a time, the pc or the xbox.

2. Connecting to pc. Cheapest option. Being an MS product, the xbox has no problems using Window's ICS (internet connection sharing). You connect the pc up with a USB or ethernet modem, needs a network card to connect the xbox to it. PC needs to be turned on for the xbox to connect, but both can be online at the same time.

3. Multiport Router with built-in modem. Most expensive option. PC connects to it through the network card, xbox plugs straight into it too. Both can be online seperately or at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭M03

Sorry about those diagrams.

You could also go for the Zoom X4 modem/router which I believe someone else on boards has used successfully with the X-Box.

It connects to your PC via a USB port so no need to buy a network card and also has an ethernet connection for your X-Box.

Here's a quote from the zoom website:

"Plug the ADSL X4 into a Windows PC's USB port, install the software, and plug into the phone line. Then install the Xbox Live software onto the Xbox, and connect the Xbox to the X4's Ethernet port. In minutes you'll be enjoying the fun of Xbox Live gaming without interfering with your family's Internet access."

I found the post from the other user (ceejay):

"I'm using the Zoom X4 external ADSL ethernet/USB modem, and it works great. I already had a Xircom wireless access point, and an 8-port switch, so I didn't need a router/hub/wireless combo. The unit has both Ethernet and USB ports, which can work independantly, i.e. both at the same time. Plus, it's XBox Live compatible - very painless to set up. I picked mine up in PCWorld in Liffey Valley for €119.99 (inc VAT)."

M03

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Yep, I'm using the Zoom X4 without any problems. I've been playing the demo games from the XBox Live beta CD, and Moto GP and Mech Assault are a blast. I might shell out on a full Live-enabled game soon.

But as M03 said, connecting up 1 PC and 1 XBox with the X4 is a breeze, you get all the cables you need in the box. Plug the PC into the USB port with the supplied USB cable, and plug the XBox into the ethernet port with the supplied ethernet cable. Default settings should be fine, the only things you need to set are username and password, maybe encapsulation too, but that's it. I would definitely recommend it. Plus, if you want to add more PCs or maybe a PS2 with BB adapter, or something else, you can buy a cheap hub/switch and share the ethernet connection using that.

Ciarán.

Ahhh ok the picture is becoming muse clearer now heh :P Poor aul newbie me :P , anyways thanks for that MO3 and MrPink..

Cheapest sorce for a Zoom X4 anyone know?

Advertisement