Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Souncard much improvement over onboard sound?

• 15-07-2003 7:02pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Currently im using onboard sound but am wondering if a soundcard will give higher framerates?
    Im getting great performance as it is but on other sites/forums im hearing a souncard will indeed improve things.Just thought id ask you tech heads here:)If a souncard is advised any recomendations?

D865PERL Mobo mPGA478 i865PE ATX Max 4GBAGP8x800 MHz FSB
    P4 2.8 ghz 478Pin 512 Cache 800MHz FSB
    Muschkin 512mb PC3200 DDR
    Samsung 4 in 1 combo 48x24x48x16
    80GB 7,200rpm HD
    Windows XP
    Gainward GF4 Powerpack Ultra\650-8xAGP 64mb DDR8xchipset TV out
    17"Monitor VL700/17"FST.27 70KHZ MPR2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

soundcards are great for clear crisp sounds. that's about all they they do. they won't increase framerate well i don't think so anyway.

the best card in my books is the Audigy 2 Platium but be warned they are expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have heard that the onboard sound can use a few percent of CPU ... and a add in PCI card will only use a tiny fraction of that... so in a PC that may not be the fastest you might see a few frames per sec increase, I doubt it would have much of an increase on the original posters puter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

using a sound card will speed up ur pc as it takes the audio load off the cpu you will also get better quality sound [you will need good speakers to notice the difference] but its only going to increase speed by about 5% max you wont even notice it the only reason to upgrade is if you have 4.1 or higher speakers. i have tryed on my main PC a soundblaster live value ,Asus A7V333 onboard sound and Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo III 7.1. and my opinons on them are

soundblaster live value: sound quality was fine but drives were really crap i would be slow to go back to creative

Asus A7V333 onboard sound : wasnt bad but i could notice the difference in quality when using a sound card [but i have 4.1 BA7500 speakers]

Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo III 7.1 best i have used so far really good quality drives are great only problem is it wont play back digitaly over my flat pannel speakers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

Talking about soundcards could someone please give me their opinion on this card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

i play a bit of battlefield42, and notice that sound starts to miss out on some things, like bombs dropping from planes, or footsteps. If I got a new soundcard, do you think that would sort it out? I'm currently using onboard sound from an Asus A7N8X board

Btw, dcully, was that you on the irish b42 server ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Btw, dcully, was that you on the irish b42 server ?

Yep that was me m8.
    Im a member of Radox DOD clan who use Jarhedz servers and site for our forums.Jarhedz have set up a BF server mainly for Desert Combat but last few days its running the new Battle of Britian map 24/7,wont be forever though AFAIK.

On my old system i used to have sound quality to low and at 11hz now sound is at medium and 22hz.
    I think the missing sounds u refer to are when using the 11hz setting.IMO if you have a fast cpu and ram you could try turning to 22hz,thats if your not at 22hz already.

Im getting 100fps easily with max Graphics setting at 1200x1024 res medium sound at 22hz.
    Im thinking of sticking with my onboard sound if below is indeed correct.
    so in a PC that may not be the fastest you might see a few frames per sec increase, I doubt it would have much of an increase on the original posters puter

thanks alot for replies chaps.

Advertisement