Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eyetoy

Options
  • 15-07-2003 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

what do ye think of it, i think its da bomb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Gimmick. It has potential. But would I buy it to play window washing? Heh, I think the question answers itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

the kung foo is quite good
    the window washing is funny wiht a bunch of mates...
    the boxing is ok too, have only playd that a couple of times thogh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

What?

mindboggle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Eyetoy - an accessory for PS2 - deemed to be the "next big thing" by those lovely people at Sky News who are, I'm sure, very clued up about gaming.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by NoelRock
    Eyetoy - an accessory for PS2 - deemed to be the "next big thing" by those lovely people at Sky News who are, I'm sure, very clued up about gaming.

It's said to good fun by some people who know about gaming. Have you used it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Must have one.

Brings a little exercise to all us lardo nerds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Similar software has been available on the PC for years for use with webcams? Is this PS2 package more advanced, or is it just that it's making an appearance on a console?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

i cant help feeling like a dick in shops playing it, i think thats to make you buy it. which i might

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Mixie - it's a fair bit more advanced than the PC packages, just in terms of being able to handle stuff moving in the background without the game screwing up and so on.

It's a fantastic little package - best thing since Samba de Amigo, and that's saying something! Top fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah it looks fairly decent. i only saw one game on it though and it was this game where these little creature things r falling down the screen or something and u have to hit them or something. Its turned off/broken in Game(cork) . Dunno if i'd buy one buy, but it could be a lot of fun at a party or something. How much r they anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I got my Eyetoy when I brought Tomb Raider back to the shop. So glad I did.

A lot of people are calling it just a 'gimmick'.. and it's pretty hard to defend it from this label. It hasn't got any sort of 'artistic merit'. But it's not meant to.. if you're looking at it from this point of view, you're missing the point of it completely. It's designed to be funfunFUN, especially with large groups of people. And that's it. Just fun. Remember the way everyone praised Sony for the way they marketed to the post-pub/club crowd? Exactly the same with the Eyetoy - absolutely perfect post-pub game. Which means there's a very good chance that Eyetoy could be incredibly successful: the crossover appeal is phenomenal. But chances are, people won't take a chance with it.

It's always interesting watching people, especially those who don't play videogames regularly, approaching the Eyetoy. If you're very careful, you can see them cross the line from "This is dumb" to "Haha! Look! It's me! I'm kicking computer ass!".

As Shinji has already said, the comparisons to Samba De Amigo are unavoidable. One of the games (Beat Freak?) is very, very reminiscent of Samba de Amigo. And it's true.. there hasn't been this laughter from a videogame in our office in a long time. Not since our Maracas controller died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

I think ObeyGiant and Shinji have hit the nail on teh head, in many ways (the actual games)on Eye toy are not stratagy laden FPS twitch games ,its more of simply a fun thing, as in 'look its me on the telly etc' that works on gamers and non gamers.

the games are pretty simple but theres a lot of original ideas/games at work here as well, mainly beacuse its fully interactive >u dont use a controller at all.

Its a fun game with yur mates and your sisters, granny and young kids will barge there way to the front to 'have a go'

When they had this at the Playstation experience in London last year the reaction from the public was amazing, it brought a smile to everyones face> like> look at your m8 making a fool of himself throwing shapes and jumping around on stage, let me have a go! :D

The other non game stuff from the demo is cool as well, (no sure if its on the full version, think it is)
    like if u hold a colour ball it looks as if its on fire and a butterfly that follows u hand around the screeen > clever stuff! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Tis fuppin hilarious watching all the kids messing on the demo for the eyetoy in work. tbh methinks its more fun with alcohol...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I've seen it, doesn't really appeal to me but mabye it could be a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Its pretty cool but can you imagine it having long term appeal to you?Not really.
    Flickin little dudes away with your middle finger and giving a huge box of the fist to another is fun for a while but you would get bored with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

tbh methinks its more fun with alcohol

You should try it with alcohol. It's the daddy. Just make sure you can't knock anything over. Who needs an over paid scanger to dj and just play loads of naff pop songs. You can have infinitely more fun locked with an eyetoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

Originally posted by podgeen
    the window washing is funny wiht a bunch of mates...

i spent two weeks really washing windows with a friend as a job, i made €250. I then walk into Game, HMV, Virgin and Smyths and there are signs everywhere telling me to spend €269.99 so i can get a ps2 with an eye toy and play a game where i pretend to wash windows.

it's a promising idea, but it's far, far too basic right now. I'm sure that the technology will advance and future games will put it to good use, but not for a few years yet, and certainly not on a ps2. in it's present state it shouldn't be able to hold the attention of anyone with an iq above 12 for more than 15 minutes.

^ like on simpsons, when bart does the yard work simulator?

yeah... only there's no stylish head-set

^well then you'd just look stupid

• Advertisement

:( i wish i had a virtual yard work simulator...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ghost of bail

eye toy is cool but weemcd sucks at the ninja fighting stage whilst i rock at it and only got hit once by one of them in my first and only go i know i know i am brilliant and welcome critism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

is there anyway they could incorporate it into some kind of actual plot driven game?

eg: you have beaten the evil dragon lord...now quickly plug in your eye toy, wash his windows then fight wave after wave of mini ninja guys running from pagodas...

ps:
    i spent two weeks really washing windows with a friend as a job, i made €250. I then walk into Game, HMV, Virgin and Smyths and there are signs everywhere telling me to spend €269.99 so i can get a ps2 with an eye toy and play a game where i pretend to wash windows.

get a real job....

and pps:
    it's a promising idea, but it's far, far too basic right now. I'm sure that the technology will advance and future games will put it to good use, but not for a few years yet, and certainly not on a ps2. in it's present state it shouldn't be able to hold the attention of anyone with an iq above 12 for more than 15 minutes.

a generalistion....a broad, sweeping one!

...how unseemly. its fun, something you could do for hours (or, maybe an hour)
    just cos its simple & repetative doesn't make it less fun (see:tetris,asteroids,space invaders)

Originally posted by ghost of bail
    eye toy is cool but weemcd sucks at the ninja fighting stage whilst i rock at it and only got hit once by one of them in my first and only go i know i know i am brilliant and welcome critism.

your name didnt get on the high score board!, anyway i would kick your ass at any driving game, any first person shooter game, def jam vendetta, enter the matrix and tony hawks 4! so i wouldn't get cocky. so you dance around like a dick head better than me so what?

Originally posted by passive
    get a real job....

i happen to think that at worst, its one level above working for tesco.
    a generalistion....a broad, sweeping one!

it's really more of an exaggeration, however to ease the confusion i'll simplify my statement - "It has no long-term appeal".
    ...how unseemly. its fun, something you could do for hours (or, maybe an hour)
    just cos its simple & repetative doesn't make it less fun(see:tetris,asteroids,space invaders)

only one of the games even approaches fun, the rest are on a par with brushing your teeth.

tetris, asteroids and space invaders are terrible games by today's standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by public_enemy
    Originally posted by passive it's really more of an exaggeration, however to ease the confusion i'll simplify my statement - "It has no long-term appeal".
    This can definitely be said of EyeToy, but how many other games can it be said of? For example - Ico.. a game I love dearly.. I finished in ~8 hours, and haven't really gone back to since. It doesn't change the fact that I had a fantastic time in that 8 hours, and would thoroughly recommend Ico to almost everyone I know that is willing to spend 50 bucks on 8 hour's entertainment.

EyeToy is definitely capable of delivering more than 8 hours of entertainment (although this varies depending on how many friends you have, and just how much time you spend getting drunk).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    EyeToy is definitely capable of delivering more than 8 hours of entertainment (although this varies depending on how many friends you have, and just how much time you spend getting drunk).

Yes I can imagine finding myself surrounded by my peers as they frantically flail their arms about in front of the TV set in a most disturbing fashion :D. God I think it would be worth it for €53.99!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by denis_o_leary
    €53.99!

is that all it costs. i was expecting something like €100 for this. what comes with it games wise. i could be buying one of these for next weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

The device comes bundled with the 'Play' game - actually a set of 12 mini-games specifically designed for the camera.

One of these games is 'Kung Fu' where the player will find themselves attacked my mini-martial artists from all sides, and must desfend themselves by literally slapping the game characters away.

'Wishi Washi' - the player must clean mucky windows using a Wash on, wash off hand movement in a race against the clock.

'Keep Ups' game where the player must keep a football in the air by heading it while trying to avoid the ball colliding with friendly characters, and aiming it to knock over unfriendly game spirits.

'UFO Juggler' and 'Plate Spinner' require the player to wave their hands over on screen objects constantly for over three minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement