Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile getting cut off

• 15-07-2003 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

First up Admin soz if this is in the wrong place please feel free to move i couldnt find a mobile board.

Just wondering if this is a hoax or can they really do this ??.

My other half just got a txt from o2 saying that her phone is about to be disconnected and advising that if she doesnt want to be dropped she should make a chargeble call TODAY!!.She uses her mobile for TXT messages or incoming calls only but she has €10 credit still.So thats my question if this isnt a hoax can o2 really cut you off if they think your not spending enough!!!!.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The Wireless board should really be renamed Mobile / Wireless or something.

It sounds like a scam to me. If you can, post more details, including the exact message. If not, I'd drop Comreg a line if I were you and see what they have to say.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving it to Wireless

(I can see your confusion about where to put it - it doesn't quite fit in there either but the answer is more likely to come there)

I'd imagine it's a hoax unless there's something in the T&C about making a call every once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It is a hoax -- o2 specifically advertise the fact that there is no time limit on your call credit.

If you want to make sure though, call them on 1909 (free call) to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Originally posted by dahamsta
    The Wireless board should really be renamed Mobile / Wireless or something.

I agree 100% with you. This is something I have meant to post LOADS of times and just didn't bother. Wireless, by todays standards........ most people assume to be in connection with WLAN and Wi_Fi etc.

:D
    Glad I got that off my chest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

full message reads:

Custcare your speakeasy account is due for disconection shortly.Dont get cut off- Make a chargeable call TODAY to enjoy rates from 13c a minute! from o2.

Sounds like a hoax to me to.... but being forever parnoid i wondered if o2 were trying to scare people into making a call to boost revenue :D.The message has no number just the time and custcare.Why it thru me was coz im with digiphone and they suspend your credit if you dont use it within a certain amount of time:mad:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am guessing they are acting on their requirement to recycle numbers that have not been used for sometime. Apart from it being a hoax, thats the only explanation I cant think off. You mentioned that the phone is being used for texts and incoming calls, as far as I know, if you do not send a text or make a call for a certain period (not sure how long, a few months anyway), O2 consider this as an unused number and make the move that they did.

May be wrong though, but I am sure this is part of the explanation, just dont have the facts to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

From the O2 "welcome to o2 speakeasy booklet" under the heading Limits:

"You must use your phone once every 93 days in order to keep your credit activated. If your account is suspended, no unused credit will be refunded and you'll have to pay a reconnection fee to reactivate your o2 service."

Seems pretty reasonable to me, one 13c call every 3 months to keep the service active is not bad at all. Certainly better than vodafone who insist on a top-up every few months (10 euro minimum).

For light users, recieve only or people who have a phone only for emergencies o2 are very reasonable. If they had no limit on the service they would have thousands of dead numbers from discarded/lost/stolen phones that could not be re-issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I agree with getting rid of the dead numbers bit but my missus uses her phone all the time for TXT messages in and out but uses our house phone for voice calls.So it seems that you have to make a voice call to keep your account going which the booklet doesnt make clear.

Thanks for the help lads

With regards to Vodafone, it is one top up every 6 months... Without the need to make a call or send a text message. On that, 20 euro a year aint so bad.

As for dead numbers, it is a legal obligation to recycle unused numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I had assumed that text messages would be included as "using your phone", not sure how to send one without using the phone but perhaps I am just a bit simple.

As for Vodafone 20 euro is alot worse than 52 cent if you are never going to use it.

IMO keeping your phone active by making a token phonecall is a reasonable request, insisting on people buying top-ups that they don't need is not.

Suppose you have a valid point..

Advertisement