Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Namechange: Wireless

Options
  • 15-07-2003 8:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Methinks Stonemason has raised a point. 95% of discussion on the Wireless forum is about mobile phones, wouldn't it be better named Mobiles / Wireless or summat?

adam
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hear hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

/me nods in approval.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

makes a certain amount of sense....

I'd like to hear the Mod's view on it first, I'll point this thread out to him tomorrow.

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

hupya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

While I would agree that four out of five threads are on mobiles, it does not preclude that one out of five is not (generally WAN/Hotspot related) - so the board is still a Wireless board, even if the emphasis is largely on the mobile side of things.

As such I wouldn’t have thought there was a major need to change the name, but given there appears to be support for such, if we really have to I would suggest changing it to Wireless/Mobiles as opposed to Mobiles so as not to close the door on non-mobile topics.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Nobody suggested calling it Mobiles TC -- Mobiles/Wireless or Wireless/Mobiles would be fine. The suggestion is purely functional: /we/ know that mobies are in the wireless category but I reckon the majority wouldn't make the connection (har har). Stonemason didn't, for example.

adam

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

TC ... Hm ...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Beyond saying that "Wireless / Mobiles" seems to be a good choice and supported by all it seems, I just wanted to point out the humour in ecksor's sig:
    Today's word is ... telephone

DeV.

Advertisement