Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards in valid, no-tables XHTML?

Options
  • 15-07-2003 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

I had an idea for a project which would vastly increase the customisabilty (and possibly accessability) of boards.ie .

It should be possible to have a set of VBulletin templates which generate valid, no-tables* XHTML. New styles could be written by simply adding in a new CSS file. It shouldn't be too hard to have a simple Perl script that takes in a user id and hammers out the user's stylesheet.

Users could potentially have their own stylesheet in their preferences, where they could do things like:

#DropdownMenu {
    display: none;
    }

if they thought it was gammy.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone willing to help make a proof-of-concept?

* Tables might be a good idea for the forum view, as it is actually A TABLE.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Sounds like a good idea to me, a lot of sites have done something similar.
    At the moment im only learning css myself so this is a bit beyond me to be of much help but id like to be involved if at all possible.

/Edit
    This is one of the articles i saw on this tyoe of thing
    http://www.webreference.com/authoring/style/sheets/layout/advanced/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I really need to start focusing more on using CSS :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

JustHalf, the next version of vBulletin is supposed to be fully XHTML and CSS compliant and dispenses with a lot of the crufty HTML scattered around the vB2 layouts. With that in mind, it's probably a good idea to hold off until it's released before doing a proof of concept.

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

JustHalf, I'm totally in favour of this. As DH says I understand VB3 has a lot of stuff to support this in there. We are *all* waiting for Godot because once it settles down to some sort of stability, we may even break code-bases away from them and do our own thing (as it is we are pushing VB to do things it was never intended to... and I have a lot of ideas I want to do to take that several steps further).

So, in recap, yeah I'm totally with you regarding making this as interface agnostic as possible but we can do ourselves a favour and see what Santa brings us in VB3.

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

God only knows when they'll release it. It seems to be going on forever...

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

they gave everyone 3 months extra on their licences. But yeah waiting for vb3 is annoying alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Yep, it's in VB3. It'll open up so many options you can't even believe.

phpBB uses XHTML at present as far as I know, i'm not sure how 'clean' their code is.

It'll offer some great options, one big one will be the bank balance ( if that's an issue)

http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2003/espn-interview/01/
    The Savings Add Up
    Page reduction (est.): 50KB
    Page views/day: 40,000,000
    Projected bandwidth savings:
    2 terabytes/day
    61 terabytes/month
    730 terabytes/year

- Kevin, awaiting the day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by p
    phpBB uses XHTML at present as far as I know, i'm not sure how 'clean' their code is.
    It's HTML 4.01 and table-based layout from the looks of things (that's what there own forum is running, their site is down at the moment I'm afraid).

Advertisement