Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTVip XL - Atrocious!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

still having the same problems. Can connect to iol no problem first time all the time utv can take anything up to 150 times to connect...i usually give up after that. The connection is very slow too much slower than iol and that was slow.
    gonk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

I signed up for UTVIP-XL at the end of last month and to be blunt theyre ****e. I can connect usualy the first time but there are alot of transmission errors and downloads are really slow. I have only experienced this problem with UTV internet and alot of people seem to be in the same boat as me. Unless they get their **** together, Ill go with someone else. Seriously UTV, dont let us down and get your **** sorted.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr.M

absolutely no problems here.i connect first time, all the time and have yet to be disconnected.

good job UTV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Matfinn
    I signed up for UTVIP-XL at the end of last month and to be blunt theyre ****e. I can connect usualy the first time but there are alot of transmission errors and downloads are really slow. I have only experienced this problem with UTV internet and alot of people seem to be in the same boat as me. Unless they get their **** together, Ill go with someone else. Seriously UTV, dont let us down and get your **** sorted.

Matt

What have tech support suggest you try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by Matfinn

Matt

Well some ppl are bound to have problems. They cant be completely perfect. It isnt an internet utopia we are living in. I use XL and i find it perfect, no problems whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

[mod edit: Sorry Vincent, can't have another thread of [URL=http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1017399#post1017399]pings[/URL] as I mentioned up the page. Not unless they're very relevant to a particular problem. Nor IOL pings in a thread about UTV problems, though I appreciate you're trying to help. Off-topic AND pings equals edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

sorry for posting the whole dos ping thing but i thought it was revelent as alot of people here dont seem to realise how good iol anytime is for games, its the best isp in ireland pingwise and for stability, its the same as iol's subscription a/c which i used previously to getting anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

As mentioned before we're trying to narrow down the problems some people are seeing with their connections. If possible, please email me with your name and the telephone number you are dialing from.

Do I hear the sound of tumbeweed drifting by?

Do I hear the sound of tumbeweed drifting by?

Did that and Martin replied to me by email saying that they were sorting it out. That is over a week ago. Tried to connect over 70 times before I got connected tonight. gonk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I started using UTVipXL from the 1st of August. No problems of any type.

Paddy20.

• Advertisement

I started using UTVipXL from the 1st of August. No problems of any type.

Lucky you I am connected at 12000bps and as I said previously it took me over 70 times to connect this evening (not an unusual occurance) I can connect to other isps no problem first time.
    gonk

Originally posted by gonker
    Lucky you I am connected at 12000bps and as I said previously it took me over 70 times to connect this evening (not an unusual occurance) I can connect to other isps no problem first time.
    gonk

What was tech supports response to these problems that you've reported?

What was tech supports response to these problems that you've reported?

That it is a conflict between my modem and their software...but I am using two different computers with two different modems and the same problems and martin said he was sorting it out too but nothing
    gonk

Sounds a bit vague. What exactly is the conflict? Did they give you alternative settings? Did you try the test settings that Martin gave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

Originally posted by gonker
    Can connect to iol no problem first time all the time utv can take anything up to 150 times to connect...i usually give up after that. The connection is very slow too much slower than iol and that was slow.
    gonk

Have you tried editing the IOL dial up network properties,
    seeing as that usually works for you?
    Open up the properties and write down the IOL number.
    Replace it with 1893242242 and try dialing with that.
    If you do that you are actually using the same modem settings for both, and it's a much fairer comparison.

I've been using UTVip XL since the beginning of last month,
    and I remember 6-10 occasions I didn't connect first time.
    I'm a heavy user with maybe 250 hours a month, so I think that's not bad. My only gripe is that I lost the 1.8¢ a minute daytime that I had with peaksaver - not sure yet how much it'll save me. ( I use mostly during the daytime ).

NiallB

gonker,

I am no techie, and this question may sound silly!. When you activated your new UTVip XL account - Did you download and install the UTVip XL dialler on to your computer.

This download automatically re - configures your diallig settings including making sure your modem dials the UTVip XL number.

The reason I am asking this is because on the day my UTVip XL account was activated I downloaded the dialler as it told me to do onscreen, but I forgot to install it. Then when I tried going online I had a number of problems which were very frustrating. Then just before I was going to ring UTVip XL support I noticed the XL install thingy on my monitor and right clicked it. Well, I got some surprise it rang UTV XL and started to install all the new settings for their dialler, it took some time and then it re-booted my computer. Afterwards everythig worked like a Rolls Royce.

Just my 2cs worth.

Good luck.

Paddy20;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I'm having the same problems, though not as bad by they sounds of it. I can usually login after 5 or 6 attempts.

I *did* download the new dialer. I do *not* have any problems with other ISPs. I'm *not* getting upset because I find their customer service excellent and am confident they'll sort out the problem soon enough and there's no way I'm every going back to Esat after they kicked me off the so called 'No Limits' :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I find it can take up to 3-4 attempts to get onto XL but its generally ok thereafter. I just think of all the money I'm saving.

Its a bloody birthday present compared to eircom "hi speed" though. That really is PAINFUL to use. It makes bog-standard 56k dial-up look advanced.

I'm working in Tullamore a lot at the moment, a town bypassed by DSL but on the "fibre ring" list. So far the only fibre rings I've seen here were in a box of Weetos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just spent 10 mins constantly redailing only to get disconnected immediatly the two times I got through....:mad:

Now on indigo and wasting money!

Mike.

I DOWNloaded the dialer etc. but no joy. connecting at 14.4kbps at the moment which is average. was on to support again tonight and no joy really. Getting very frustrated.
    gonk

• Advertisement

I had problems for the first two weeks but its seems to be ok now. The problems described sound like what I had when trying to connect manually. Downloading the a new version of the dialer at the time solved all my problems for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

Current connection speed of 50666bps.Thats the first time its hit that figure and bewilderingly browsing/downloading times are if I'm not very much mistaken as slow as they've ever been.

I'm really at a loss as to what I can say apart from,UTV.....

[mod edit: try saying that again in language I don't have to edit out - sceptre]

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You could try the speedtest if you feel things are slow:0
    www.u.tv/speedtest

tried that speed test got between 5 and 7 what does that mean?
    gonk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Just came back from my holidays and connected with UTVip XL at the highest speed I've ever recorded, 48kbps.

Just wanted to know if anyone elses connection is getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

i used eircom for around two years, in the last six months of my time with them i always got a busy dial tone between 6-8pm and it took on average 15-20 attempts to get online. Since i switched to utv 6 months ago i've NEVER encountered a busy tone

I have just tried that UTV Speedtest. All I get is the box with the word -done- in the bottom left, Please Wait?.. in large letters in the middle of the box, but nothing more happens?.. how long am I supposed to wait anyway?... for a speed test. It most certainly is not speedy, in fact in my experience it is totally unsatisfactory!.

Anyone else, apart from gonker* and me tried it?..

Paddy20.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

I tried it and it works...

I got 24k speed...... what I expected :S

Whatever's happening to you when you try it sounds like a Javascript problem...........try resetting your browser settings to default.......

Hope that helps

I get 33k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

just upgraded to Clicksilver - oh boy the difference, 8,000,000 bps uninterrupted - happy happy joy joy!

I noticed that for a couple of days before I switched that UTVIP XL was getting very ropey - 2-3 attempts to get on, connection dropping every 10 mins - the worst service since I started with them about 9 months ago and had some initial difficulties.

Clicksilver though is working like a dream (fingers crossed)

I feel on a personal level I am enjoying the sucesses of IOFFL - without whom I would still be paying €130 pm for 56k dial-up - so thanks guys!

but until everyone in the country has the same options no matter where they live; LA LUTTE CONTINUE!!!!

Advertisement